iPhone 5 Camera Purple Haze

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My daughter updated OTA to iOS6 last night, no issues so far *knock wood* BUT i did get a hold of her 4S just a few mins ago and I was able to replicate the purple haze issue. I took a few pics, and it showed only in the ones where the sun light was facing (in this case top right of her pic) but not completely in the picture. I took a few where the lighting was just 'normal' and it wasnt present. Oh, also no HDR, and none taken with the sunlight directly in the pic either.

i have not updated as of yet, because of little niggling issues here and there i'm hearing about. Now with this one, i dont use my 4S camera that much, but when i do, a purple haze in the pic is really not something i want to worry about.......

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
It appear to happen with any major light source in the shot. Here is a shot I took at a friends house and the purple glare is evident. I can say that I could not replicate it with his 4S:
4329A002-1198-4E19-A865-B837C0C7F3AD-1260-000000643B236E09.jpg

Really kind of sucks, and I doubt there is a fix for it. Most likely a hardware issue with the lens used. Where the hell is quality control on this stuff. I will only ever use Apple, but there seems to be some major issues with this phone.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
@Scooter...Your TV appears to be the light source causing it...

---------- Post Merged at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:21 PM ----------

iPhone 5 Camera Suffering From Purple Haze Flaw? Not So Fast

according to this article the haze thing is something all cameras deal with. its not some iphone 5 bug, its the nature of camera's. in fact the 4S is worse from what he shows.

I think this is a non issue.

It's certainly something that CAN happen with all cameras...but it's not quite as easy to replicate. My wife owns both a 5D and 7D canon, and she took them outside to see if she could replicate it...neither of them had the problem at all. Now both of those are very high end cameras, so comparing their results to the iPhone 5's abilities is a bit unfair, but i just wanted to point out that this is not an issue that all cameras just natively experience, they CAN have the same problem, but it's not as easy as it is with the iPhone's camera.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5 Camera Suffering From Purple Haze Flaw? Not So Fast

according to this article the haze thing is something all cameras deal with. its not some iphone 5 bug, its the nature of camera's. in fact the 4S is worse from what he shows.

I think this is a non issue.

This is now an issue for many iphone owners who use their camera alot. I mean really, who wants to see a purple haze across their pics. Its not just an i5 issue either, i believe its an iOS6 thing. Like in my previous post, my daughter upgraded her 4S to ios6 last night, and now this purple haze shows, on the other hand, i'm still on ios5 and i do not have this or any other shadowing issue with my 4S.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is now an issue for many iphone owners who use their camera alot. I mean really, who wants to see a purple haze across their pics. Its not just an i5 issue either, i believe its an iOS6 thing. Like in my previous post, my daughter upgraded her 4S to ios6 last night, and now this purple haze shows, on the other hand, i'm still on ios5 and i do not have this or any other shadowing issue with my 4S. :)

Honestly though, you have to look at it in a sense of when this fringing happens...99% of your pictures are not going to have this problem, 99% of the areas you take a picture are not going to have the contrast issue that would cause this kind of issue. Truth be told, i could go out to the same area i took the pictures from above at and take 100 normal, every day pictures out there and there would be no "purple haze" problem, and i had to try and replicate it to post what i have above.

I honestly don't think people need to worry about it unless they start taking normal pictures like they would with any point and shoot camera and they start seeing this issue in those cases.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Honestly though, you have to look at it in a sense of when this fringing happens...99% of your pictures are not going to have this problem, 99% of the areas you take a picture are not going to have the contrast issue that would cause this kind of issue. Truth be told, i could go out to the same area i took the pictures from above at and take 100 normal, every day pictures out there and there would be no "purple haze" problem, and i had to try and replicate it to post what i have above.

I honestly don't think people need to worry about it unless they start taking normal pictures like they would with any point and shoot camera and they start seeing this issue in those cases.

:)I get your point Sean. You have to be in just that 'right angle lighting' to get the purple haze to show up. On my daughter's 4S i captured it on the 3rd shot. But, what part of my point was, is if someone is in an area with just that 'right angle lighting' and is taking pics (ya know, that 'kodak moment' lol), this purple haze may unfortunately happen in all, or most of the shots. which would really suck.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I disagree in that its not that big of a problem. If you look at any photo where there is a light source coming in you will see the purple haze. It's really annoying, but hopefully there is a fix.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I disagree in that its not that big of a problem. If you look at any photo where there is a light source coming in you will see the purple haze. It's really annoying, but hopefully there is a fix.

That's not true at all...go take a look at the iPhone 5 official picture thread and you'll see plenty of pictures with varying points of light that do NOT have this issue. In both of these examples (especially the 2nd) the light source (sun) would be coming in at the camera, in the second picture, the position of the shadows on the clouds would point at the sun being just out of range on top of the photographer (slightly in front)...there are no issues with the color contrast here.

0441233E-43EC-468F-9076-C6DFFCAC917A-1676-000000826FCDC8C7_zpsa1f80786.jpg

19531d1348459514-post-pictures-taken-your-iphone-5-here-011.jpg

...you should go read the articles about the specifics in this issue to understand whats going on.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
That's not true at all...go take a look at the iPhone 5 official picture thread and you'll see plenty of pictures with varying points of light that do NOT have this issue. In both of these examples (especially the 2nd) the light source (sun) would be coming in at the camera, in the second picture, the position of the shadows on the clouds would point at the sun being just out of range on top of the photographer (slightly in front)...there are no issues with the color contrast here.

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/...CAC917A-1676-000000826FCDC8C7_zpsa1f80786.jpg
http://forums.imore.com/attachments...ost-pictures-taken-your-iphone-5-here-011.jpg

...you should go read the articles about the specifics in this issue to understand whats going on.

I'm not disputing what you are saying, but in your pictures you don't have a direct light source in the background. I'm simply saying that if the sun (and not cloud cover) is directly in the picture (or another light source like a lamp), then this problem is going to appear.

---------- Post Merged at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:03 PM ----------

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/...CAC917A-1676-000000826FCDC8C7_zpsa1f80786.jpg
http://forums.imore.com/attachments...ost-pictures-taken-your-iphone-5-here-011.jpg

I'm not disputing what you are saying, but in your pictures you don't have a direct light source in the background. I'm simply saying that if the sun (and not cloud cover) is directly in the picture (or another light source like a lamp), then this problem is going to appear.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There are clouds in those pictures but they are not obstructing the sun in either case...especially in the 2nd picture, you have sun directly above the setting. There's no purple fringing at all...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have tried to duplicate this on my 4s not able to do it. Since I've had this phone I've taken hundreds of pics. In going thru all of my pics taken in indoor and out I'm not seeing this.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say guys I haven't experienced this yet. I'm on vacation in cancun as I've taken over 100 pics so far is various lighting conditions with and without flash and no issues as of now. I'll see if any start to creep up.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just looked thru literally hundreds of iPhoto pics from my iP4s and found only three with the issue. To be honest, I never even really noticed it until I saw this thread and went back and looked. Not to say that it isn't a potential issue for serious photographers or for that "Kodak Moment", but I don't think this is a major issue unique to the iPhoneX but rather an issue that occurs in photography. Just my opinion...
IMG_0770.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 112

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
@Scooter...Your TV appears to be the light source causing it...

---------- Post Merged at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:21 PM ----------

It's certainly something that CAN happen with all cameras...but it's not quite as easy to replicate. My wife owns both a 5D and 7D canon, and she took them outside to see if she could replicate it...neither of them had the problem at all. Now both of those are very high end cameras, so comparing their results to the iPhone 5's abilities is a bit unfair, but i just wanted to point out that this is not an issue that all cameras just natively experience, they CAN have the same problem, but it's not as easy as it is with the iPhone's camera.

It is not something that is as easy to replicate with higher end DSLRs but people need to undestand that it is not a problem specific to the iPhone.