iPhone 5 Camera Purple Haze

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
If you work at it with the 4S? So you have to try to do something that happens on its own with the 5? Using a different model.

I get a kick out of all of the apologizing for a tech glitch on apples part. Is it so hard to believe they may have made something that doesn't function correct?

Are all of the reports of this happening from people who are have no clue how to take a picture? If so, there is less hope for humanity than I thought.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
That's not chromatic aberration. Chromatic aberration is a purple fringe around the objects in the focal point of a picture usually caused by inferior lenses.

True, and even when is present it doesn't show as big as the samples shown here, no purple fringe on any edges here, this is not CA

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This photo was taken with a original iPhone. Dig the lens flare
8036991649_2723d8f691.jpg

Vostok

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So any hope of a software solution? Like turning the flare white. One that doesn't involve any work from me. :p

Personally the only time I've had the purple haze was when I was deliberately looking for it. Suppose it'll be a bigger problem during panoramas beyond the first frame.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
It's the one the always give homey. Of course that can't fix it. Dude trust your eyes not what someone tells you not even what Apple tells you. You know you haven't seen any sh*t like that before come on. The real answer is it's f**ked up in a specific situation and I love Apple products but when something is f**ked up even from Apple I'll say it is. For example the original Macbook Pro was f**ked up. Apple has some great products but they will drop some BS every now and then like any company.

I've seen this on several other cameras, including a high end Sony point and shoot. Ask ANY experienced photographer, and they'll tell you this is a problem on ANY camera.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If you work at it with the 4S? So you have to try to do something that happens on its own with the 5? Using a different model.

I get a kick out of all of the apologizing for a tech glitch on apples part. Is it so hard to believe they may have made something that doesn't function correct?

Are all of the reports of this happening from people who are have no clue how to take a picture? If so, there is less hope for humanity than I thought.

This is NOT a glitch on apples part, these are basic laws of physics that no camera can overcome.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
" It's a problem easily solved though as you shouldn't be taking pics with bright light sources just off the frame. "

Sorry but this doesn't sound right to me, if that's the way someone wants to frame a picture then they should be able to do it.
I took three identical pictures with my iphone 5, point & shoot and a dslr and the only one that came like that was from the ip5, however.. It was really small and i haven't experience the issue with my daily pics..

If a person doesn't know how to compose a picture, and the effects of how they're taking it, then it's their fault alone.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
If a person doesn't know how to compose a picture, and the effects of how they're taking it, then it's their fault alone.

nope, I've seen pics taken with the ip4 and ip5 under the same condition and only the 5 showed the purple fringe, it's not about whether or not this is normal, it's about the amount of fringe seen in pictures, in my ip5 the amount is minimal and I've done quite a few tests today with all kind of lights, very little to no purple fringe, but some of the pics I've seen here show a REAL issue with the camera.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
This is NOT a glitch on apples part, these are basic laws of physics that no camera can overcome.

Here's a link of a test between the iphone 4, 4S , 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3, the ip5 came back showing the worst purple fringing, so the " basic laws of physics" dont seem to be affecting the other phones as much, the AMOUNT of fringing with the ip5 is clearly a problem.

http://m.itproportal.com/2012/10/01/purple-flare-test-iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-vs-htc-one-s/

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
nope, I've seen pics taken with the ip4 and ip5 under the same condition and only the 5 showed the purple fringe, it's not about whether or not this is normal, it's about the amount of fringe seen in pictures, in my ip5 the amount is minimal and I've done quite a few tests today with all kind of lights, very little to no purple fringe, but some of the pics I've seen here show a REAL issue with the camera.

Same condition is not the same as same angle. The picture have to be taken at identical angles to be relevant.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's a link of a test between the iphone 4, 4S , 5 and Samsung Galaxy S3, the ip5 came back showing the worst purple fringing, so the " basic laws of physics" dont seem to be affecting the other phones as much, the AMOUNT of fringing with the ip5 is clearly a problem.

http://m.itproportal.com/2012/10/01/purple-flare-test-iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-vs-htc-one-s/

And there are other tests that show other phones that are as prone to purple highlights as the 5.

Some people that actually know about cameras have postulated that the iPhone 5's thinness is the issue. The thinner you get with lenses, the more these types of issues will crop up.

People need to stop with the bs that this is exclusive to the iPhone though, because it isn't.

DamnSkippy

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have been a professional photographer (all I do is photography for a living) for over 15 years. The flare of the iPhone 5 is not really the issue for me because it is expected based on how the lens is made and positioned. The issue I have is the nasty purple color the flare has as it compounds the problem of the flare. I wish it were much more neutral like the 4s. Flare is expected but the purple color sucks. I am sure it could have been done (made more neutral) but something made it not worth it to Apple. Hopefully the next version will be better, for now we will just learn to use the tool (camera) within it's limitations just like any other tool.

Here is a simple shot of the light on my ceiling, again the flare is expected but man that's a lot of purple. At least we can convert them to B&W to get rid of the color.
photo.JPG

eduardohers

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an Iphone 5 but here is a picture I just took from my Galaxy Nexus and you can see the haze.
So clear a issue with other phone cameras , so move on.
IMG_20121008_000024.jpg

ridiculocity

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've taken a heap of photos and have not seen this purple haze. I have not tried to recreate it as I'm a realist and have a grasp on our wonderful imperfectly perfect existence. We live in an age where there are way more budding photographers with amazing tech in their hands taking not so amazing photos. Ask any photographer how hard it is to take that perfect elusive photo. Honestly if I do take a photo on my iPhone 5 and there is a purple haze ill just retake the photo and move on.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods