iPhone 5 vs. Nokia 920: Battle of the Cameras

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This is obviously just a small taste of the video capabilities of both phones, but i found it quite interesting...

iPhone 5 and Nokia Lumia 920 face off with image stabilization test (hands-on video, updated with Galaxy S III and HTC One X) -- Engadget

On one hand, the Nokia obviously has a better stabilization feature, but i found that the Nokia's contrast and saturation was really showing some fault (in this video at least) where as the iPhone's color balancing and brightness adjustments seemed to handle white balance SO much better.

It will be awesome to see how the Nokia performs out on the market, but it's definitely a promising video to see here, and at the same time, it shows that the iPhone 5's camera is pretty damn great too (at least in this video comparison). It also shows the lesser Samsung and HTC comparisons (which in my opinion are not even close to either the iPhone 5 or Nokia 920...the HTC was down right awful).

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
iPhone's high hand on the camera feature is undisputable. No wonder Samsung released a "camera pack" with the GSIII... trying to reclaim some of the territory with features if not quality!

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I love my iPhone 5 and its camera. Loved my 4S too. I don't mind if Nokia has a little bit better camera in low light, because most of my photos will be taken with plenty of light available. Plus, in just about every other feature phones offer, iPhone 5 smokes them all. IMO...

TaliZorah

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will have the better camera. I had a Lumia 900 before my iPhone 5. I loved it. The Windows OS is snappy and does everything great!

ss08

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I love my iPhone 5 and its camera. Loved my 4S too. I don't mind if Nokia has a little bit better camera in low light, because most of my photos will be taken with plenty of light available. Plus, in just about every other feature phones offer, iPhone 5 smokes them all. IMO...

Iphone 5 "smokes" the lumia in everywhere except in the camera? How about the Screen? The lumia has a larger, Sharper, Faster(60Hz, making it blur free when scrolling) and more touch sensitive (you can use it with gloves, finger nails etc...). And of course, Nokia Maps is a lot better than Apple Maps. And how about NFC? Or wireless charging? The lumia also has a longer lasting battery. Now Im not saying iphone5 is a bad phone or anything, but you should do some research before you say that iphone smokes the lumia...

Last edited:

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Well Google maps SMOKES BOTH apple maps and bing maps hands down

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

idrewpage

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I am not sure what reality you owned your Lumia 900 in, but I had a Lumia 900 (briefly -- I could not wait to sell it). The camera was worse than my iPhone 3GS, and Windows Phone 7.5, while pretty good looking, functionally was horrible, and the apps I use on iPhone were mostly absent. I do realize that a later software update improved the camera, but nothing can improve the dismal app situation.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
I just saw the video. i find the white balance on the Lumia to be more accurate. You can tell when the car pulls out of the parking structure, and when the you get the close-up of the guy. Also, there's less significantly less streaking when the camera is moving, and I don't mean just the stability thing. I mean when the camera is panning rapidly, the Nokia seems to follow the movement better than the iPhone. The Nokia also seems to be able to change focus faster. Overall, I'd say the Nokia camera (at least for video) is significantly better than on the iPhone 5. That's not to say the iPhone 5 video camera is a dog by any means and it does offer a larger aperture. It's still a great camera, just not as good as the Lumia one.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Nokia will have the better camera. I had a Lumia 900 before my iPhone 5. I loved it. The Windows OS is snappy and does everything great!

WP is pretty nice. A lot easier to access info and get in touch with people. I like how everything is integrated into the phone.

baseballbert

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Not really. It depends where you are. Where I am, Apple maps is much better than either Google or Nokia. It's not even close.

Funny you mention that. Apple maps gave me completely wrong directions last weekend. Google had the right ones. I compared the two, and apple would've gotten me totally lost. And about 10 miles out of my way.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Funny you mention that. Apple maps gave me completely wrong directions last weekend. Google had the right ones. I compared the two, and apple would've gotten me totally lost. And about 10 miles out of my way.

I'm in China. Apple maps is by far the best out of the default maps available on Nokia or Android. Google maps are almost unusable here. For example, it usually places me 500 to 1000 meters off my true location. Also, it is severely lacking in POI. There's a 3 year old shopping center across the street with Carrefour, KFC, Pizza Hut and 30 other shops, Google shows an empty lot. Apple maps has almost all the shops. Apple maps also has 3D building outlines, Google maps does too, but not as many. For directions, Google more often then not, routes to dead ends, because of all the road construction going on around here because of subway construction. Public transit routing is pretty much useless. Last week when I wanted to go to Guangzhou, it gave me instructions that would have taken over 5 hours.... for a 30 mile trip.

At the moment, China is Apple's 2nd largest market after the US. If Apple ever signs a deal with China Mobile with their 700 million subscribers, China might become their number 1 market in a few years. I get the feeling Apple is working hard to win over the China market. Yes, the maps thing was a huge fiasco in other parts of the world, but it's helping them big time around here.

EDIT: I suspect Google maps is suffering due to their contentious relationship with the PRC government. They don't even have servers here anymore, they moved them all to Hong Kong.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2