See picture - it appears the display is broken. The phone set up, activated with my phone number, completed set up, did initial sync. During initial sync display looks like this. I can plug in and resync, I suspect phone is working just no display. I have tried hard reset with no success. Any ideas or is it back to Apple I go? What a disappointment...

iPhone arrived today - DOA!-p1060866.jpg
    09-26-2012 05:27 PM
    OUCH! My fix would be to go to the store lol. Hopefully there's another way.
    09-26-2012 05:28 PM
    maybe try a DFU mode restore? idk
    09-26-2012 05:36 PM
    Back to apple, I wouldn't even bother trying to mess with it. You paid for a brand new fully functional phone not something that you had to fix before you could use it.

Tap'n Like A Boss
    Just_Me_D and applehead022001 like this.
    09-26-2012 05:55 PM
    Back to apple, I wouldn't even bother trying to mess with it. You paid for a brand new fully functional phone not something that you had to fix before you could use it.

Tap'n Like A Boss
    Exactly! The phone arrived "today" and "today" it is not functioning properly. Don't fix it yourself. Take that sucker to the nearest Apple store immediately along with the box it came in and the UPS/FedEx paperwork and demand a NEW one! Period! It doesn't matter if you can fix it. It's a matter of principle and like shooter03 stated, you paid for a brand new fully functional iPhone and not a malfunctioning one.
    09-26-2012 06:00 PM
    Normally, I always turn them on after receiving them. That way, if there's a problem right away, I'm there to get it taken care of on the spot.
    09-26-2012 06:04 PM
    Thanks, I made a Genius bar appt. for tomorrow morning. I was hoping there was something obvious I was doing wrong, but my instinct said "nah it's busted".

The good news - no scratches or rattles on the phone
    09-26-2012 06:04 PM
    Thanks, I made a Genius bar appt. for tomorrow morning. I was hoping there was something obvious I was doing wrong, but my instinct said "nah it's busted".

The good news - no scratches or rattles on the phone
    Outstanding! Let us know how it turns out for you afterwards. Enjoy the rest of your day...
    09-26-2012 06:12 PM
    No reason to even stress over trying to make it work, because who knows if you get it working if the issue will reoccur later down the road...swap it out and be done with it.
    09-26-2012 06:19 PM
    One other question, do I need to ask them to do something to zap the data off the old phone?
    09-26-2012 06:26 PM
    One other question, do I need to ask them to do something to zap the data off the old phone?
    I think you mentioned you were able to sync it w iTunes, correct?

If so, just use "restore" which will factory reset the device.
    09-26-2012 06:34 PM
    I think you mentioned you were able to sync it w iTunes, correct?

If so, just use "restore" which will factory reset the device.
    Yes, restore and reset as new. Do not restore from a backup.
    09-26-2012 06:48 PM
    Exactly! The phone arrived "today" and "today" it is not functioning properly. Don't fix it yourself. Take that sucker to the nearest Apple store immediately along with the box it came in and the UPS/FedEx paperwork and demand a NEW one! Period! It doesn't matter if you can fix it. It's a matter of principle and like shooter03 stated, you paid for a brand new fully functional iPhone and not a malfunctioning one.
    Typically demanding is not needed with Apple. Walk in, show them it's broken and get a new one. Apple is great about it.
    09-26-2012 06:57 PM
    Don't worry about it. apple has replaced iphones for me in the past. they're very good. tomorrow, when you go into that apple store, and show them the screen, you will walk out with a new iphone, no questions asked.
    09-26-2012 07:19 PM
    Thanks all - I'll post the results, which I expect will be great.
    09-26-2012 09:29 PM
    Typically demanding is not needed with Apple. Walk in, show them it's broken and get a new one. Apple is great about it.
    Yeah, I know. My experience with Apple stores have been positive thus far and I'm sure the OP's experience will be as well...
    09-26-2012 09:31 PM
    Went to the Genius bar today, first time there! They replaced the phone in about 3 minutes, taking that long just to grab one and get the records up on their iPad. The phone works so much better with a display!!!

This phone is WICKED FAST. Wow. And the replacement had no scratches, rattles, or display issues!

Thanks all for your advice!

PS - where was the beer or wine at the Genius Bar? It was more of a Genius desk to me.
    Rocket_Girl and nikkisharif like this.
    09-27-2012 01:45 PM
    Glad everything worked out for you. Another reason why Apple is the greatest!!!
    09-27-2012 03:55 PM
    One thing I forgot to mention which I thought was odd. The Genius rep said that, before he did the exchange, I needed to know that by getting a new phone as I was, I forfeit the 30 day policy - ability to either turn the phone in for a refund, or exchange for a different color, etc. I said ok as I had no intention to do that, but that policy seemed very odd to me as it may very well be a person who got a lemon, maybe gets another, and decides they don't want the phone after all.
    09-28-2012 06:57 AM