iPhone arrived today - DOA!

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
See picture - it appears the display is broken. The phone set up, activated with my phone number, completed set up, did initial sync. During initial sync display looks like this. I can plug in and resync, I suspect phone is working just no display. I have tried hard reset with no success. Any ideas or is it back to Apple I go? What a disappointment...

P1060866.JPG

Shooter03

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Back to apple, I wouldn't even bother trying to mess with it. You paid for a brand new fully functional phone not something that you had to fix before you could use it.

Tap'n Like A Boss

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Back to apple, I wouldn't even bother trying to mess with it. You paid for a brand new fully functional phone not something that you had to fix before you could use it.

Tap'n Like A Boss

Exactly! The phone arrived "today" and "today" it is not functioning properly. Don't fix it yourself. Take that sucker to the nearest Apple store immediately along with the box it came in and the UPS/FedEx paperwork and demand a NEW one! Period! It doesn't matter if you can fix it. It's a matter of principle and like shooter03 stated, you paid for a brand new fully functional iPhone and not a malfunctioning one.

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Normally, I always turn them on after receiving them. That way, if there's a problem right away, I'm there to get it taken care of on the spot.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I made a Genius bar appt. for tomorrow morning. I was hoping there was something obvious I was doing wrong, but my instinct said "nah it's busted".

The good news - no scratches or rattles on the phone :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I made a Genius bar appt. for tomorrow morning. I was hoping there was something obvious I was doing wrong, but my instinct said "nah it's busted".

The good news - no scratches or rattles on the phone :D

Outstanding! Let us know how it turns out for you afterwards. Enjoy the rest of your day...:)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No reason to even stress over trying to make it work, because who knows if you get it working if the issue will reoccur later down the road...swap it out and be done with it.

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! The phone arrived "today" and "today" it is not functioning properly. Don't fix it yourself. Take that sucker to the nearest Apple store immediately along with the box it came in and the UPS/FedEx paperwork and demand a NEW one! Period! It doesn't matter if you can fix it. It's a matter of principle and like shooter03 stated, you paid for a brand new fully functional iPhone and not a malfunctioning one.

Typically demanding is not needed with Apple. Walk in, show them it's broken and get a new one. Apple is great about it.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry about it. apple has replaced iphones for me in the past. they're very good. tomorrow, when you go into that apple store, and show them the screen, you will walk out with a new iphone, no questions asked.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Typically demanding is not needed with Apple. Walk in, show them it's broken and get a new one. Apple is great about it.

Yeah, I know. My experience with Apple stores have been positive thus far and I'm sure the OP's experience will be as well...:)

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Went to the Genius bar today, first time there! They replaced the phone in about 3 minutes, taking that long just to grab one and get the records up on their iPad. The phone works so much better with a display!!!

This phone is WICKED FAST. Wow. And the replacement had no scratches, rattles, or display issues!

Thanks all for your advice!

PS - where was the beer or wine at the Genius Bar? It was more of a Genius desk to me.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
One thing I forgot to mention which I thought was odd. The Genius rep said that, before he did the exchange, I needed to know that by getting a new phone as I was, I forfeit the 30 day policy - ability to either turn the phone in for a refund, or exchange for a different color, etc. I said ok as I had no intention to do that, but that policy seemed very odd to me as it may very well be a person who got a lemon, maybe gets another, and decides they don't want the phone after all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2