Anyone with applecare+? Should I?

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I really wanna go case-less on my i5 and considering the AC+.

Shoul I get it? Worth it? And also, is the AC+ transferable to a new iPhone when i upgrade?

Thanks!

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's up for you to decide. Just depends on your risk tolerance. AC+ is not transferable but you can get a prorated refund when you buy a new phone or use it to boost the resale price. Personally I like AC+ but others would rather just pay for a refurb if they need it. I've heard they raised the refurb price from $199 to either $229 or $249 depending on who you ask but haven't been able to confirm it.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It is not transferable to the next iPhone, but it is transferable to the next owner...

As far as worth, it wasn't for me...but if i ever dropped my iPhone, I'd simply pay to have the screen fixed somewhere for cheap. The 4S was around $100 for screen/digitizer replacement, i can't imagine this phone being a whole lot more expensive once the knock off parts start showing up.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes it's worth it. Especially if you plan on not having protection for it. And no it's not transferable to another device. The plan stays with the device.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had AppleCare on my last 2 iPhones. I'm WAY to anal about keeping my phones in good condition. I am only using the $9.99 Verizon insurance now because if I lose it, gets stolen or I drive over it! It's all covered. I just never felt it was worth it only because I never needed it. Just my two cents.... :)

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I was reading a little about it and didn't get insurance from AT&T just yet since I just got the phone on Friday. I think it seems to be worth it. You'd only have to pay $50 for a new phone if you dropped it or something happened. Right?

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
I think it's worth it. I've used it with my 4S and MacBook Pro before. Apple handled things great and made it very easy.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, AppleCare+ is a better deal than insurance from the carriers... AppleCare+ is $99 for 2 years and $49/each for claims due to physical damage. The carriers are typically $10/month ($240/2 years) and a $199 charge for replacement. The carrier plans also cover lost/stolen where the AppleCare+ does not. Both cover physical damage and will replace your phone twice. Claim cost is $150 higher per incident for the carrier plan.

So the most you would pay on AppleCare+ for 2 replacements (max usage) is $197 ($99 +$49 + $49). Max for carriers plan is $638 ($240 + $199 + $199).

If you file NO claims, the AppleCare+ would cost $99 vs $240 for the carrier plan.

RoboWarrior

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
So it's a little different from Apple Care+ for Macs which is 3 years and total protection? I payed $99 for my Mac and if you have any problem, they said they would replace for free. This is could be different for iPhones. Also isn't it 3 years rather than 2? Also the Apple guys told me that they would replace my iPhone for free if it obtained water damage or got run over. Never heard about the $49 thing except when it's in great condition and just wanted to replace it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So it's a little different from Apple Care+ for Macs which is 3 years and total protection? I payed $99 for my Mac and if you have any problem, they said they would replace for free. This is could be different for iPhones. Also isn't it 3 years rather than 2? Also the Apple guys told me that they would replace my iPhone for free if it obtained water damage or got run over. Never heard about the $49 thing except when it's in great condition and just wanted to replace it.

There is NO AppleCare+ for Macs. AppleCare is not the same as AppleCare+. Apple offers extended warranties on most of their products, and AppleCare is what they offer for everything except phones (and possibly iPods/iPads). It is intended as an extended warranty to repair non-physical damage issues. If you break your screen, drop your MBP, tough luck.

AppleCare+ was introduced with either the iPhone 4 or 4S, and provides coverage for physical damage, including water damage for up to 2 replacements in the warranty period (2 years).

They are different beasts for different purposes.

Applecare offerings:
https://www.apple.com/search/applecare+#mn_p

AppleCare+ for iPad and iPhone
https://www.apple.com/search/AppleCare-Protection-Plan-for-iPhone#mn_p
Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax.[SUP]1[/SUP] With AppleCare+ for iPhone, Apple experts can help troubleshoot issues over the phone or at an Apple Retail Store. They’ll answer questions about iOS, Apple iPhone apps such as Mail, iMessage, and Calendar, and help you solve interconnectivity issues between your iPhone and Mac or PC. And if your iPhone needs service under the plan, Apple technical support representatives can even set up a repair during the same call.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I got it when I bought my iPhone 5 yesterday. It's worth the $99 to me. I don't have a history of breaking phones.
So if I get two physical damage covers for $49 each within two years, it's worth the safety net for me.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
True... AppleCare+ does not cover lost or stolen devices.

It would have to cost a lot more to cover theft. Theft coverages are very expensive. Usually around $10-$15 plus a ~$200 deductible depending on plan. If you have homeowners or rental coverage check for an electronics rider. It's usually dirt cheap and $0 deductible. For around $75/yr you can cover you laptops, phones, etc.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
That's up for you to decide. Just depends on your risk tolerance. AC+ is not transferable but you can get a prorated refund when you buy a new phone or use it to boost the resale price. Personally I like AC+ but others would rather just pay for a refurb if they need it. I've heard they raised the refurb price from $199 to either $229 or $249 depending on who you ask but haven't been able to confirm it.

Prorated refund?

The thing is, I always do an upgrade when the new one comes out and always sell it to get some extra cash. What I'm planning to do if i have AC+, i would exchange my iPhone, in case they get scratched or anything, for a shiny new iPhone and get a higher resale value. I purchased AC+ for my iPad, but ended up not using it. When i tried to sale it in craiglist, most buyers don't really care about the AC+ and wanted a lower price.

I guess the AC+ was not necessary for the iPad as it is a huge thing and Most of the time it was on a desk or my bag, so the possibilities of the iPad get damaged is smaller unlike the iPhone, which would spend more time on my hand.

So this time around, im not so sure if it's gonna be worth it to get an AC+

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Prorated refund?

The thing is, I always do an upgrade when the new one comes out and always sell it to get some extra cash. What I'm planning to do if i have AC+, i would exchange my iPhone, in case they get scratched or anything, for a shiny new iPhone and get a higher resale value. I purchased AC+ for my iPad, but ended up not using it. When i tried to sale it in craiglist, most buyers don't really care about the AC+ and wanted a lower price.

I guess the AC+ was not necessary for the iPad as it is a huge thing and Most of the time it was on a desk or my bag, so the possibilities of the iPad get damaged is smaller unlike the iPhone, which would spend more time on my hand.

So this time around, im not so sure if it's gonna be worth it to get an AC+

There is no prorated refund on AppleCare+. AppleCare+ stays with the device and is transferable one time (sell the covered phone, AC+ goes along for the ride). The coverage is not transferable to an other device...

But your point is a good one. Buy the AC+ coverage, then get a replacement unit just in time to do the resale when the new devices come out... you're more than likely getting a refurb at that point, but it will be shiny and new-looking.

Redshirt

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you have car insurance? Do you have house insurance, health insurance, etc? Are they worth it if nothing ever happens? You're not buying it for when nothing happens. You're buying it for the mishaps, and that's more likely to happen with small devices like phones (especially the glass on the iPhone 4).

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've never broke my phone so no need I'm a DIY fix kinda person but if you are using no case then I would say yes just so that way you won't worry too bad if something happens

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro