Anyone else having problems setting up Verizon voice mail? Keeps telling me service is unavailable -- try again later. For days (not just for hours).

This is likey a carrier problem rather than iAnything - but wondered, just in case there is an easy change of settings to take care of it.
    09-26-2012 09:21 AM
    Had that same problem with my 4S. It should correct itself within 24 hrs. If not just contact Verizon. They'll fix it.
    09-26-2012 10:51 AM
    If you recently got on the iPhone bandwagon from another phone - there's a chance that the automatic process that was supposed to create the voicemail box on the system used for iPhones didn't work right and you'll have to call Verizon support and have them fix it for you.
    09-26-2012 10:56 AM
    Had that same problem with my 4S. It should correct itself within 24 hrs. If not just contact Verizon. They'll fix it.
    On hold w VZW now. Started trying yesterday, so the 24-hr self-fix is a non-starter. Tier 2 tech is trying ot reach Apple - says it is their thing. VZW has NO idea. Poor tier one tech was going through the cookbook for every step. I realize they only got the phones when we did, but ridiculous. Especially because every step HE wante me to try was something I had already tried multiple times.

Now I have to do full factory reset before they will give me a ticket number (grumble!)
    Last edited by Rocket_Girl; 09-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.
    09-26-2012 03:32 PM
    2 words: google voice
    09-26-2012 03:41 PM
    Wow. Best of luck. Sorry to hear your having trouble.keep us posted what the fix was in case anyone else has a similar problem please.
    09-26-2012 03:54 PM
    If you recently got on the iPhone bandwagon from another phone - there's a chance that the automatic process that was supposed to create the voicemail box on the system used for iPhones didn't work right and you'll have to call Verizon support and have them fix it for you.
    I came from a 4S, so should (have been) OK.
    09-26-2012 05:17 PM
    I came from a 4S, so should (have been) OK.
    Yes, you should have been ok. Hope it gets worked out.
    09-26-2012 05:21 PM
    just curious why you wanted to keep verizon voicemail over the iphone visual voicemail? are they still going to charge $3/month for it? not hating! just wondering if it should be on that voicemail option if there are more features.
    09-26-2012 06:19 PM
    Verizon gives Apple's version of Visual Voicemail with iPhones at no additional charge.
    09-26-2012 06:26 PM
    Again.... Google voice. Easy to use on any device. Free visual and transcription and forwarding of messages. Never have to worry about carrier voicemail getting wiped.
    09-26-2012 06:26 PM
    Again.... Google voice. Easy to use on any device. Free visual and transcription and forwarding of messages. Never have to worry about carrier voicemail getting wiped.
    Does Google pay you to pimp their stuff?
    09-26-2012 06:28 PM
    Google voice is dicey. The transcription is awful and (in my experience) a lot of calls don't get through. This is when signal is fine (voice and data).
    09-26-2012 06:40 PM
    I noticed this issue this morning. Dial *86 from the phone and Verizon's system will walk you through setting up the vm. Then give your phone a few minutes to catch up and it will be updated.
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
    09-26-2012 11:14 PM
    Does Google pay you to pimp their stuff?
    Lol. No. I just think its the best voice mail service. I've tried carriers, Youmail and anything else. And it's just really good.
    09-26-2012 11:18 PM
    Google voice is dicey. The transcription is awful and (in my experience) a lot of calls don't get through. This is when signal is fine (voice and data).
    Agreed sometimes on the transcription but that's not as clear and the caller and its better than nothing. And I haven't had the se experience with calls not getting through. Since its only for voicemail not sure how that affects calls coming through.
    09-26-2012 11:20 PM
    It's the visual voice mail that won't allow setup. Set password, choos greeting, hit 'done' and nothing. "Voicemail is not available. Try again later."
    09-26-2012 11:29 PM
    Yeah, that's exactly what mine was doing earlier. If you do it via the phone system first, the visual on the phone will catch up in a minute or two You can then change the message through the phone setup and whatnot if you want.
    09-26-2012 11:31 PM
    I noticed this issue this morning. Dial *86 from the phone and Verizon's system will walk you through setting up the vm. Then give your phone a few minutes to catch up and it will be updated.
    WOW- thank you, denvergirl78!!! That worked. Well, except for rejecting a password that included (but was not limited to) consecutive digits.

Crazy that VZW does not know this (it's not in the diagnostic recipe)-- and neither does Apple (VZW SAID they called Apple while I was on hold). Hmm.. . . Did they really call??

In any case, this took two seconds to complete w/ *86. Spread the word. This could have saved me a full reset- hope it DOES sAve others from similar fate.
    09-26-2012 11:42 PM
    Glad to hear it worked for you! I know - I was searching vzw support, help topics, everywhere this morning. I don't know why I thought to follow the basic vm setup instructions like a new customer but I guess it was just kind of the last thing left to try
    09-26-2012 11:57 PM
    To let others know, access using any method OTHER THAN*86 still does not work. I tried going in through settings to change password, got same 'unavailable' error. I was able to change it via *86. Something still buggy, but there is a workaround.

---------- Post Merged on 09-27-2012 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous Post was on 09-26-2012 at 11:59 PM ----------

Glad to hear it worked for you! I know - I was searching vzw support, help topics, everywhere this morning. I don't know why I thought to follow the basic vm setup instructions like a new customer but I guess it was just kind of the last thing left to try
    Well, I am returning to VZW after a short fling with at&t- so for setup purposes, I am a new customer. I was gone long enough to forget about *86-- but as a new customer, they should have TOLD me, and it should have been first thing on tech support checklist.
    09-27-2012 12:02 AM
    So, Voice mail is set up via *86 thanks to denvergirl. Test calls work - messages are recorded, but badges / notifications do not come through despite correct settings. I thought the MESSAGES were not recorded, but when I went in to record a greeting that would tell callers the voice mail wasn't working, it told me I had two messages -- the ones I left for myself. Without notifications (even though they are set for banners and badges and sound), I didn't know messages were actually there.

At least I know to check VMM - that's better than messages going unrecorded, unbeknownst to callers.
    09-27-2012 09:58 AM