Did Earpods outdo Apple Earphones?

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5?s New EarPods Have More Bass Than Dre?s Beats Earbuds [First Impressions] | Cult of Mac

Apple?s new EarPods have better sound quality than Dr. Dre

Apple "Earpods" vs. Dre Beats earbuds

...1 second google search found these headlines right up top...keep searching and you'll find more over the last week. Of course one could argue these blogs are a bit biased, I'm sure we'll have some more general reviews from less Apple focused websites soon. I've also read that the dre beats earbuds don't even work on most cell phones...and let's not forget that the Apple earpods are also a handsfree device, letting you make calls using them as well.

I did that exact search... Oh well. Thanks for the links.

And given the source of the reviews... Yes I will say there is some bias there. Not necessary though. U don't have to be a fanboy to agree that these earphones are on par with their "high end" counterparts.

Edit: for the record the beats are fully functional as far as phone calls on iPhones. However that was not the case on the last android phone I owned.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't aware they worked on the iPhone, i knew people complained about the GSIII so i assumed it was the same for the iPhone as well.

And yeah, i hope people learn about what actual high end headphones are compared to even the best Dre Beats...they are quite mediocre for their price.

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't aware they worked on the iPhone, i knew people complained about the GSIII so i assumed it was the same for the iPhone as well.

And yeah, i hope people learn about what actual high end headphones are compared to even the best Dre Beats...they are quite mediocre for their price.

Well said. There is much more to music tha 20 cycle per second bass.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
lol...what are you talking about?

They are a COMPLETE improvement on design! The comfort level in ear is night and day! I use my headset almost all day because i don't care for bluetooth headsets, and these are the first stock headsets I've ever had with a phone that didn't become uncomfortable in my ear over a full day of use. Audio quality has been improved by leaps and bounds, there's simply NO comparison between these and the old ones or ANY phone on the market's included headset, they blow the Galaxy S III's out of the water!

And here's the kicker...they're FREE! You don't have to pay extra for this accessory. Apple could have simply kept on with the same headset we've had for years now, but instead they improved the free accessory, and to be honest, what they've given us is pretty damn awesome. I actually have a set of skullcandy headphones i use while working out, these are almost as good as those in the audio department (with a tad less bass response) and stay in the ear almost as well too (without the little rubber pieces)...and the skullcandy ones were $70!

I'm quite sad that they'll stop selling the originals. In their effort to create one-size-fits-all Earbuds, they've made a fatal mistake. The fit isn't tight. For those who prefer a secure-feeling fit and seal, the care-free feel here might be a tad annoying. You will consistently feel the need to try and re-secure the Pods, only to realize they weren't anywhere close to falling out. You don't get that even sound that you get. The design enters music directly into the canal like sticking a straw into you ear. It's terrible.

Because of the design.

- They're not tough.
- The mic quality isn't any better.
- They're not sweat resistant.
- They're not heavy-duty.
- They aren't noise cancelling.
- They're not even attractive-looking.

There's no reason to buy these Earpods.

If you liked the classic design of the Apple Earbuds, go out and buy yourself a fresh pair NOW, before it's too late.

They're coming to the end of their cycle.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite sad that they'll stop selling the originals. In their effort to create one-size-fits-all Earbuds, they've made a fatal mistake. The fit isn't tight. For those who prefer a secure-feeling fit and seal, the care-free feel here might be a tad annoying. You will consistently feel the need to try and re-secure the Pods, only to realize they weren't anywhere close to falling out. You don't get that even sound that you get. The design enters music directly into the canal like sticking a straw into you ear. It's terrible.

Because of the design.

- They're not tough.

If you liked the classic design of the Apple Earbuds, go out and buy yourself a fresh pair NOW, before it's too late.

I have like 10 pairs in a drawer if you wanna make me an offer

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Because of the design.

- They're not tough.

You are so inaccurate on so many levels it's not even funny, and your complaint makes me question whether you've even tried these things...they fit snuggly in my ear in all scenarios except for a heavy running action on a treadmill (where it was more the length of the cord causing the problem than the actual headphone fitment). But alas, reading your comment makes me realize that debating this is useless since you really have very little understanding of how these new earpods actually perform.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Nothing about it is really drawing me in. The selling point wasn't "built with solid materials", it was to change the shape so that they fit every ear. Anyway, the rate at which they release new products, it's really not worth the money. These Earpods, not a product I would pay for.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Nothing about it is really drawing me in. The selling point wasn't "built with solid materials", it was to change the shape so that they fit every ear. Anyway, the rate at which they release new products, it's really not worth the money. These Earpods, not a product I would pay for.

Guess it's a good thing they COME with the iPhone...for free.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Good thing too I suppose. I highly doubt anyone will buy them just to buy them.

Guess time will only tell. Given their $30 price tag (which is cheaper than any of the competitively performing earbuds), i have no doubt people will buy them and be satisfied with their performance for the price.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

How many variations of the original earbuds are there? One. The original earbuds were no different in that there was a one-size-fits-all model. No replaceable ear cushions, tips or anything similar. Just a hard, round, large (IMO) plastic nubbin that went into your ears and were comfortable for about ZERO seconds. The fit wasn't tight. For those who prefer a secure-feeling fit and seal, the lack of seal and certain ear canal pain were more than a tad annoying. You consistently felt the need to try and re-secure the pods, only to realize that doing so didn't prevent them from falling out, but rather only introduced more pain. You don't get even sound. The design was crap.

I tried a couple of pair early on and never even bothered to open the package after about the first 2 or 3 pair that I got. I spent some cash on some decent earbuds and was done with it. The new EarPods are better, but not by much. The sound quality is still crap. The main difference is that these don't hurt your ears.

metrion

Banned
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess it just depends on what type of ears you have. I know some people really like the in ears, I absolutely despise them.

Would it hurt to make rubber kinds, I don't know. But I don't know why the Apple Earpods have to be so cheap. Not in cost, but in quality. I'd spend about 30-40 on good sound and superior quality.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
wow, looks like i will continue to buy my OWN headphones. which is not such a bad thing when it comes time to resell - "headphones never used"

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess it just depends on what type of ears you have. I know some people really like the in ears, I absolutely despise them.

Would it hurt to make rubber kinds, I don't know. But I don't know why the Apple Earpods have to be so cheap. Not in cost, but in quality. I'd spend about 30-40 on good sound and superior quality.

What are you basing your idea of "cheap" on? Have you disassembled the headset and priced out and compared the internals vs. other market headphones of like caliber? Or are you just going on the fact that you don't care for how they feel in your ear and that they are light so assuming they must be made of inferior products and must be poor quality?

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just got back from my first jog using the EarPods. Even though they fit better than the old earphones, they still fell out a few times along the way. But, I'm still happy with them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine have fallen out during works outs as well, but i think more due to the fact that the cord wasn't quite long enough to reach to my hip where my iPhone is holstered and less because they didn't fit snuggly in my ear. Thinking about getting an armband for the phone to jog with...

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine have fallen out during works outs as well, but i think more due to the fact that the cord wasn't quite long enough to reach to my hip where my iPhone is holstered and less because they didn't fit snuggly in my ear. Thinking about getting an armband for the phone to jog with...

I was doing interval training on hilly terrain. I think that's the main culprit in my case.

I'm thinking an armband would be a good way to go as well.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner