Activation Question

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

When you upgrade to iphone 5, and upon the initial set up screens you restore from an icloud backup, does that automatically activate the AT&T data, voice, etc., or do you have to call separately for that? If it is automatic, does that automatically deactivate your old iphone? If anybody knows and cares to share that would be great!

Thanks

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The restore from iCloud has got nothing to do with this. When the iPhone activates the SIM in the initial set up - hence called activation - your line is activated on your new device, and deactivated on the old one. In some cases, there may be an overlap period during which both SIMs will work.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The restore from iCloud has got nothing to do with this. When the iPhone activates the SIM in the initial set up - hence called activation - your line is activated on your new device, and deactivated on the old one. In some cases, there may be an overlap period during which both SIMs will work.

Thanks ... then I guess what I am asking is when does the initial setup of activating the SIM occur? Can you basically buy your iphone in the store, unbox it at home, fill out a screen and you're good? Or do they have to do something in the store, do you have to call a specific number at home? I kinda hate when they unbox it for you in the store, put their grubby hands all over it and pull the protective shell off of it before you even get to lay your hands on it for the first time.

greidel

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If you pick it up in the AT&T store, they're probably going to unbox it and activate it for you. I ordered mine from the AT&T website and it was delivered to my house. I restored the phone with iTunes first, and then activated the SIM. The Email they sent me with activation instructions was bull$#!% because they were instructing me to look under the battery for a registration number. I went online and found a tech-support phone number (1-800-331-0500). When I called it with my old phone, the automated voice said "I see you recently purchased a new phone, would you like to activate it?" I gave it my zip code and last 4 digits of my SS# and a minute later my old phone was dead and the new one worked.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73