Those with black and slate iPhone 5....

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
With the latest issue about the black iPhone 5 black and slate being susceptible to scratches, this made me think.

I really love the black color and the black! Looks so perfect for me and i want to show it to the world (running naked)! But seems like i have to think twice for this. I found some small scratches already on the back (tiny scratch). I still have 30 days to make an exchange to AT&T and i they do have stock for the white before that 30 days end, i'll make the change. But anything can happen.

How about the rest of you? Stay black or go with white??

Just looking for some opinions :) thanks for your replies!

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Been using mine naked since Friday and nothing yet and im on vacation so the phone been in and out of my pocket all the time for pictures. I'm not sure but I still can't see my self with a white phone unless I have no choice.

Also I'm putting a front and back screen protector which is what I always do.

IIJBII

Jul 24, 2004
Visit site
It's what you want/prefer - Others can't make your decision.

Whatever device you came from could scratch as well....

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, getting just a few minor scratches on your device would give it character. Think about it. What good is a mint condition phone if you're constantly paranoid about it? I say let it get a couple scratches.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how going white is going to change that. Just like the silver bezel on the 4S, if you scratch it, it will be just as noticeable. Slate or silver a scratch will show.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, getting just a few minor scratches on your device would give it character. Think about it. What good is a mint condition phone if you're constantly paranoid about it? I say let it get a couple scratches.

I agree. I actually feel a little better when it get its first mark. It's hard keeping in pristine especially when I don't use a case. So the longer it takes the more I'm checking it out and being paranoid. Once it finally happens I feel first disappointment then relief. Like a brand new pair of white sneakers trying to keep clean forever. Not going to happen.

brijuhaha

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
75% of my decission is staying with the black. The other thing holds me back for changing to white is how dirty they would get after some time. My 4s ha some dirt on the side of the home button and the edges. I love my black. 75% it is.

---------- Post Merged at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Thanks for all of your opinions! :) this helps me a lot :)

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
If it is scratched then something happened that did it. Against all odds and rumors, those things don't just happen. There's a cause.

Went at mine with my nail first day I got it. Figured I had to know if it was SO easy to scratch. Back, sides, polished mirror bezel. Tapped it too - forcefully - with my nail. No scratch. No flake. Keeping in mind that my iPhone will be in my hand, alone in my pocket, or on the little pad I keep near the computer where I do most of my charging, the hardest, sharpest thing that could damage it is my nails.

Case closed.

When I'll have the chance to grab some back protectors, I'll do it. Not because I'm so afraid to scratch it. Only for the convenience of putting it on everyday surfaces when I must.

Keep the black if it's the one you like.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Totally keeping black. When I got the 4S last year I regretted 2 things...getting the 16GB over the 32GB and getting it white. At first white looks so white and new. I always carry my phones naked with a screen protector at least (been doing this since my blackberry days) With the 4S I had screen protector on front and back. I noticed that the screen protector would look yellowish after awhile...with a black phone u can't tell it's yellowish. Also hated how the edges got dirty and it was a mission to clean it. The home button would seem dirty and the edges would get dirty. I promised myself my next iPhone would be black. When I saw the black slate I was sold. Loved the black on black look. Right now my i5 has a anti-glare "matte" finish on the front and the back has a glossy clear protector. Figured since the back already being matte finish didn't want to ruin that by adding more matte with screen protector. So I went clear on the back. My i5 been like this since release day and no scratches. I always take good care of my phones. I'm not OCD about these things but I do baby my phone all the time.

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I'm staying with my black. It looks so slim and sexy. I couldn't see myself going with white this time around. I had a white 4S and while I loved it the black 5 is amazing to me. I love the all black around the edges. I'm thinking about putting a screen cover on the back and getting a bumper and that's it as far as case goes.

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I got black. This morning I got brave and started scratching it a little with my nail and nada. It's really not as scratch-able as everyone is making it seem like. Granted, I didn't take a razor or keys to it but you get my gist.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
My Black/Slate 5 arrived today. Bought a griffin reveal case for a daily driver. Keeps the back visible for sexiness, and the rubber edges feel much more secure in my hand. I always had just a bumper on my 4 so it seemed like the best fit for my preferences. Unfortunately I have a labor intensive job so it will be going into a Otterbox during the day. Should keep my new toy looking good until it's time to sell it next year.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
My Black/Slate 5 arrived today. Bought a griffin reveal case for a daily driver. Keeps the back visible for sexiness, and the rubber edges feel much more secure in my hand. I always had just a bumper on my 4 so it seemed like the best fit for my preferences. Unfortunately I have a labor intensive job so it will be going into a Otterbox during the day. Should keep my new toy looking good until it's time to sell it next year.

I think that's what I'm going with...any issues? I'm not the type to take it out of the case often.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Been since Friday in and out my pocket and still nothing. I just suggest getting good front and back screen protectors and be done with it. The scuffing on the bezel will happen as my 4 and 4s got scuffs from normal use.

lcargile

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Look buddy, I know how you feel. I love my iPhone too and a scratch or dent on any part of it would be a (albeit brief) cut to my soul. But we're not talking about a delicate dandelion here. This phone is a very well built phone and as long as you're not throwing your phone in your pocket with your keys or change or sliding it around on a hard surface (I never put my phone down on anything hard. Wont even set it on my kitchen counter unless I have some form of protection on it) then you will be fine. I know we love our phones and want to keep them in pristine condition but I think there's a fine line between that and obsession. Just be aware and take care of your electronics and everything will be fine. I personally bought a shell/holster combo for my i5 and have taken it off and put it on several times (to show my friends the low profile) and I don't have a single mark on the phone anywhere. A good example of how tough this phone is can be found here:

iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 drop test: first video

And this is an Android fan based website to boot so you can imagine that it's legit since they probably want the i5 to be reduced to dust when its touched. ;) Seriously man, enjoy your new blacked out i5. I'm loving every second of mine and with just a moderate amount of care, you wont have any problems keeping this thing in "like new" condition.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I put a Skinomi screen protector on the back and put it into a Speck Products case and I'm all set. I don't care for it being so easily scratched, but I'm not looking to spend $35 to get a white version in 64GB, though it is tempting.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative