muggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Something I've been thinking about in light of how hot this new phone is, about the thefts in japan and the UK, the member here, who had their phone jacked by a shipping employee, and the fact that muggers love apple., and that I am visually impaired and rely on public transit.

I'm sure I'm not the only user of public transit.

how do you guys avoid muggers?

(beisdes leaving your iphone at home with a team of armed guards, or only using it at home)

I want to use my shiny new iphone on the train to enjoy music, the web, and to for transit directions.

maybe since I get my phone on October 5th, all the muggers will have stolen their iphones by then, making me safer. (not that I want that to happen to anybody)

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
One idea would be to try and somehow rig up a tough case, like an otterbox, to have some sort of loop that could go around your wrist. That way no one could just grab it out of your hands or off of you without taking your wrist with it.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing today while I was on the bus on my way home from work... I put on my headphones and keep my phone in my pocket and I don't really like to tak it out my pocket :/ sad that this is the reality but its very well a possibility you will get mugged or even killed for an apple product.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I read a while back that people who wear te white iPhone headphones are most likely victims of muggers. It's easier for people to see you have an apple product. Just a thought.

jfrebel

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I was looking forward to the earpods. I use different headphones now because apples old headphones suck.

but since the new ones are supposed to be better, and I could change songs without taking the phone out of my pocket, activate Siri and other things, I was gonna use them.

Maybe I shouldn't use the earpods. but that sucks. apple should have made them black so people couldn't tell it from any other headphones.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It sucks but get an Otterbox and other headphones. My iPhone 4 is in an Otterbox Defender case and I can't tell you how many people have asked me "which phone is that?". They have no clue it's even an iPhone. People know an iPhone by the looks and the white earphones. So without the white earphones people probably will just discount it as an iPod or something.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has white headphones with the GS3 too lol. I don't live in the city or use public transportation so I'm probably don't have as high a risk as others. Honestly my phone stays into pocket. And if I was in a place where I felt could be risky I definitely would haven headphones out or hanging around my neck. That would be like letting expensive jewelry or watches be seen by all. Just gotta be aware of your surroundings.

zwoof

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
One solution to the white earbuds iss to get a black pair when going out where the risk of getting jacked for your phone is higher, then use the white ones in the comforts of you home or a low risk place.

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
We were talking about this while waiting in line at the Apple store. Part of you wants to scream "Yeah, I got a new iPhone" while walking out of the store and the part wants to hide it so nobody thinks about jacking you on the way to the car.

Dahlen

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I would say try programming playlists that you will be satisfied with, this will limit the number of times you take the phone out of your pocket to change songs. carry the phone in your pants pockets, not the loose cargo pockets. If its in a coat pocket, make sure the pocket can be zipped, or look for coats that are made for mp3 players. Like others said, be aware of your surroundings, if the train is packed, i wouldn't even bother fiddling with it. With all the jostling and bumping, you might not even notice if it were lifted out of your pocket. Carry low end earbuds, stay away from the stock earpods or beats.
One of the joys of having the next best toy, be it the iphone 5 or the gsIII, is being able to show it off. Sadly we live in a time where we have to be hyper-vigilant of ourselves and possessions.
Most of all, just enjoy it.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just keep your phone in a Bulky case or don't take it out of your pocket on the Bus/train... Get headphones different color with controls on it and only use it like that... You can fast forward and rewind... Skip... Just learn the number of click controls... Don't take it out unless it needed... And hold it with two hands. If anyone tries to distract you into turning your head while texting... Turn with the phone in front of you... Don't just turn your head. Text like your blind... Real close to body so as not to snatch it from your extended arms.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit