How is your iPhone 5 battery life?

larryganz

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Today battery life was terrible. But I just fixed my battery problem - other's with issues may have different problems than mine. Hopefully this will help someone else.

Earlier today (Sunday) I went from 99% at 10AM to 10% by 3PM. That's about 5 hours to drain the battery with light use! After the fix, in 2 hours of using the iPhone 5 for about 8 minutes, with 120 minutes of standby, I'm still at 100%. When I would look at Settings > General > Usage it didn't show any "usage" or "standby" time, acting like it was never fully charged (actually it was only at 99% when I woke up after 8 hours of charging). I estimate that I used it maybe 10 minutes for browsing, 30 minutes reading, 10 minutes phone calls, 5 text messages over that 5 hour period.

And I always have everything turned on with my AT&T iPhone 4S (including location, notification, WiFi) with no issues before. The 4S would only drop to 10% by 12 midnight (15 hours) with normal/moderate usage. But today I could actually watch the battery gauge drop 10-25% per hour, depending on whether I left the phone alone or used it a little. And the phone was running hot very often. I tried to reboot it a couple of times, and turned it off and back on several times but that didn't help and it kept running hot. The Apple store had no appointments till the next day, and the person keeping the Geniuses on schedule suggested removing all my apps or turning off location services to see if there was a conflict there with an older non-iOS 6 app.

I tried think of anything that could have made things go wrong. I had set up my iPhone 5 Friday night, and had sync'd my backup onto the new phone. At first I thought everything was there when it stopped loading stuff back onto my phone (apps, music, movies). But apparently it had never finished the "restore backup" process. Everything looked like it was done, including iTunes showing only 5GB of free memory on the phone. But each time I made a change to my app selections or playlists, the next sync would copy over extra files that should have already been on the phone from my backup. All day Saturday the battery life was fine, before I did my last sync when I went to bed. That last sync killed the battery life, and also prevented more than 99% charge by morning.

It turns out that iTunes had still not sync'd everything when I restored my backup, because at some random point it was hitting a wall at syncing several audio books I bought from Audible.com in 2003 or 2004, long before Amazon bought Audible. My username and password from Amazon were merged into the Audible.com account last week, after I bought some free kindle books that included free matching audiobooks. Apparently the files eventually made it onto the phone after multiple attempts to sync the backup to the new iPhone, and this username and password mismatch must have been giving the iPhone fits, and it was running hot and using up the battery.

I didn't know what was happening until I wiped the phone, restored iOS 6.0, and restored my backup again tonight (I really needed to restore my call logs and several years worth of texts, etc). I watched closely to see what files were being copied, or where in the process it would fail. That's when I had the Eureka moment, and made my discovery when it failed at those audio books. Strangely iTunes gave no errors at that point, it just quit syncing my backup and acted like it was done. I went to my settings and told it NOT to sync those books, and hit the sync button once again, and it finished the sync/restore of backup without further problems.

As I got close to finishing this post on my Mac, my iPhone was only down to 99% after 2.5 hours off the charger, with about 12 min use and 2hr 17min standby. Not syncing the old Audible books fixed the problem it seems. I'd give credit to the "restore to factory", but there were definitely some issues with restoring the backup until I didn't sync those books. I'm glad I was able to use my backup and not forced to start over from scratch. PS: After 3 hours and only about 20 minutes of use during that time it's at 98%, while earlier today at 3 hours I was at about 45%.

FlopTech

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
How's the battery working for you?

Impressive battery life out of the box. On Saturday we used turn by turn navigation from East Bay to SF to Marin and back, took many panorama photos, used Siri and Safari, checked email often thru wi-fi and LTE. Still had 40% charge left after all that.

gmustafa

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
When You say the GPS do you mean turn by turn map. Or just using location?
I am just casually browsing the internet, texting and email, perhaps 10 minute call and the phone just last for only about 6 to 7 hours.
I have use th phone as it came and added two email account Work Exchange email and gmail

Pirate_Guy

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
So today I ran my first iPhone 5 battery test. I unplugged my phone at 6:00 am, and used it continuously with phone calls, text messages, emails, and demo-ing Siri and 3D Maps to my co-workers (They were coming into my office ALL morning to see my phone!). By 1:30pm I was down to 5% battery life. So that is 7 1/2 hours of contiuous use. I think that sounds good. I have noticed that it was draining a little faster than I thought it should yesterday, but then today I went in to SETTINGS > PRIVACY > LOCATION SERVICES and to my surprise 35 apps were switched ON! Obviously I need my MAPS and SIRI on, but all the others I shut off. So I am expecting to see noticable results after my next full charge cycle.
Also dont forget to run a FULL battery cycle (100% to 0% or close to it) then charge it back up again.

Acelx

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty in between.. when i first got my iPhone 5 on launch date and the ATT rep handed it to me already activated i used it all day.. it came with 70% of battery life.. i was downloading some apps, putting my music on via iTunes n iCloud, and it lasted a 14 hours standby with 5 hours usage.. which was pretty ok for me and i was on LTE all day. But when i decided to let my phone die like everyone says and recharge it from 0% today.. my battery is just leaving my phone every 4-6 mins.. and im on Wifi with 1 push account, No music or youtube.. just iMessage and 1 voice call for 15 mins.. unplugged it around 10AM.. its 3pm now and im at 54% with wifi on

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

So today I ran my first iPhone 5 battery test. I unplugged my phone at 6:00 am, and used it continuously with phone calls, text messages, emails, and demo-ing Siri and 3D Maps to my co-workers (They were coming into my office ALL morning to see my phone!). By 1:30pm I was down to 5% battery life. So that is 7 1/2 hours of contiuous use. I think that sounds good. I have noticed that it was draining a little faster than I thought it should yesterday, but then today I went in to SETTINGS > PRIVACY > LOCATION SERVICES and to my surprise 35 apps were switched ON! Obviously I need my MAPS and SIRI on, but all the others I shut off. So I am expecting to see noticable results after my next full charge cycle.
Also dont forget to run a FULL battery cycle (100% to 0% or close to it) then charge it back up again.

Yes all the apps will be on so it will use GPS when you use that app if its using when you are not using the app then a see a prob but turning it off will only save battery if you don't want to use location when using that app

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

I'm getting about 5.5 hours of usage, pretty heavy usage, This is all on 4G and LTE, not getting close to 7 hours like some guys here, I wonder if they are on wifi most of the time..

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348518763.480000.jpg
    ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348518763.480000.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 166

iphone5inaus

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm concerned about mine as I can see it going down
I've had every model of Iphone so far as this is definitely the most battery hungry.
I have had to turn everything off otherwise I'm down to 30% by late afternoon. My Iphone 4 would definitely last longer.
I'll see how it goes today with LTE,wireless and bluetooth off.

barkerja

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

Unless you're extensively using those apps that make use of the location service, and none of them are making use of the location background service (this is indicated by a solid purple location arrow), then you likely won't see any noticeable increase in battery life.

vrs626

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is my first iPhone so not sure about battery life but this seems quite poor. LTE enabled but no Bluetooth or wifi. No streaming, only texts, emails, and some browsing. Thoughts?
image.jpg

Mig392007

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I must definitely have a battery problem then. No LTE just 3G and only text and web surfing.

---------- Post Merged at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Just to put it out there, basing battery efficiency shortly after any phone's release is really not the best gauge for legitimate results...everyone is playing with their phones, adjusting settings, customizing, etc etc etc...MUCH more use than would normally happen during your normal day. Give it a week or so, then gauge your battery life...or don't, and b*tch about it so everyone knows how unhappy you are with everything in the world.

Explain this. Very little usage. Only 3G no LTE . Texting and web browsing ONLY. No playing with settings or anything like that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 147

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Mine is at 26% right now:
4hrs 52 mins usage (1hr 27mins of call time, sent 25.5MB/rec 436MB ~ data)
1 day, 1 hour standby. It hasn't been on a charger at all for at least 24 hours now.

So, I've been texting a lot and playing games on it. Asphalt 7 and Jetpack Joyride.

skittlesj20

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So I went into the Apple store today. They advise me that my battery was not working normally but they want me to stay with the phone another week and if the problem persists they will give me a replacement. The guy actually said they wanna see how the battery for the Ip5 is functioning. After I left I was mad at myself for not requesting they give me a replacement right away.

larryganz

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday I was dropping an average of 18% per hour, and today it was only 9% per hour, but that's with very light use. Normally my iPhone 4S only drops about 5-6% per hour. So, I don't think it's completely fixed yet. I'm going to "reset all settings" but not wipe all data, and try again tomorrow.

Terminatorbob

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. When you guys quote the "usage" time and you say 5 hours of usage and 14 hours on standby, does that mean the screen has actually been on for 5 hours?

I'm just trying to get a since of how the battery compares to my galaxy s2 because I'm considering getting a iPhone 5 here soon.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site

This can't be right... Set up as new also.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348549330.174545.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348549330.174545.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 192

samuelmorgan

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm finding that the battery is not quite as long lasting as my iPhone 4S. I have fewer apps, songs and videos but my battery is not holding up the way my old one did.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

I have a question. When you guys quote the "usage" time and you say 5 hours of usage and 14 hours on standby, does that mean the screen has actually been on for 5 hours?

I'm just trying to get a since of how the battery compares to my galaxy s2 because I'm considering getting a iPhone 5 here soon.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Basically. Usage just means how long you've used the phone. Texting, talking on the phone, surfing the web ect.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner