Pre ordered at best buy on the 14th. Picked it up yesterday no problem there.

Get home from best buy to play with my new toy, plug it into my MacBook and open iTunes. I get a message saying that I need to download the new iTunes 10.7. I figure "no big deal". Go up to the little apple icon and select software updates, nothing pops up. I think to my self "I'll just get it from the apple site then".

To speed it up a little I'll just jump to it. I download the new iTunes 10.7 go to install and I get a message saying I need OSX 10.7 (mountain lion) to install. I can't install Mountain Lion until I install Snow Leopard.

Its going to cost me another $50 unexpected dollars just so I can use my iPhone 5 to the fullest. I wish they would have made me aware of this so I could have been more prepared for this.
    09-22-2012 08:41 AM
    Its going to cost me another $50 unexpected dollars just so I can use my iPhone 5 to the fullest. I wish they would have made me aware of this so I could have been more prepared for this.
    The information about minimum software requirements is available to anyone that seeks it. That you didn't seek it is somehow Apple's fault? Really?
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-22-2012 08:48 AM
    Never said it was Apple's fault. Just said I had to pay $50 unexpected. I've never had to update my OSX to get a new version of iTunes before thats all.
    09-22-2012 09:09 AM
    Pre ordered at best buy on the 14th. Picked it up yesterday no problem there.

Get home from best buy to play with my new toy, plug it into my MacBook and open iTunes. I get a message saying that I need to download the new iTunes 10.7. I figure "no big deal". Go up to the little apple icon and select software updates, nothing pops up. I think to my self "I'll just get it from the apple site then".

To speed it up a little I'll just jump to it. I download the new iTunes 10.7 go to install and I get a message saying I need OSX 10.7 (mountain lion) to install. I can't install Mountain Lion until I install Snow Leopard.

I didn't think that iTunes was necessary. Can't you get your device up & running & registered OTA? Can you not connect wirelessly to your Wi-Fi network and download fresh apps and/or restore from a previous backup without the need for iTunes? Afterwards, can you not still make an iCloud backup should you choose to do so? Of course, I could be wrong...
    09-22-2012 09:09 AM
    Never said it was Apple's fault. Just said I had to pay $50 unexpected. I've never had to update my OSX to get a new version of iTunes before thats all.
    It should not have been unexpected. The information was there and you could have been fully in formed had you chosen to do so.
    09-22-2012 09:21 AM
    It should not have been unexpected. The information was there and you could have been fully in formed had you chosen to do so.
    I don't get to sit around on my computer all day looking up tech specs. I'm a delivery driver that works 12-16 hours a day then I come home and and hang out with my kids. If I would have had time to look these up I would have thats all.
    09-22-2012 09:28 AM
    I didn't think that iTunes was necessary. Can't you get your device up & running & registered OTA? Can you not connect wirelessly to your Wi-Fi network and download fresh apps and/or restore from a previous backup without the need for iTunes? Afterwards, can you not still make an iCloud backup should you choose to do so? Of course, I could be wrong...
    Its activated and up and running I just can't load music and photos to it with out the new itunes
    09-22-2012 09:29 AM
    I don't get to sit around on my computer all day looking up tech specs. I'm a delivery driver that works 12-16 hours a day then I come home and and hang out with my kids. If I would have had time to look these up I would have thats all.
    It does not take sitting "around on my computer all day looking up tech specs"... In the time I've spent on this thread or less the knowledge could have been acquired.
    Last edited by kch50428; 09-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    09-22-2012 09:30 AM
    I'm a cop who works 12-14 hour patrols 4-5 days a week...i had time to understand the minimum requirements for various things i use on the computer. You seem to be taking the "I'm an adult, i don't have time to sit around on my computer all day looking up tech specs road"...yet you want your hand held by Apple to make sure your computer is up to the task to support brand new consumer tech? Interesting.
    kch50428 likes this.
    09-22-2012 10:15 AM
    I only have snow leopard installed and it works just fine? I downloaded the new iTUnes just fine and it syncs perfect

Apple ID (required for some features)
    Internet access5
    Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
    Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
    PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
    iTunes 10.7 or later (free download from Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now)
    09-22-2012 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD