My white 64GB was damaged out of the box as well. I discovered it before leaving the Verizon store where I purchased it, so they were able to see it as well, They said they didn't have any units for exchange on launch day, but would call me in a couple of days when they get one, to swap it out. Grateful to have found it before ever taking it out of the store.

I think that as they see more of these complaints (and it seems there may be quite a few), they should be cool about exchanging them. For the price, they SHOULD be new and perfect out of the box.

Have a pre-order of same coming from Apple on Oct 5 and was going to cancel that when I got home from the store this morning. After seeing damage on one, I kept the pre-order and am interested to see two of them, from completely different build lots - side by side. If VZW somehow fails to come through, I will return theirs and keep the one I bought from Apple - as they will be great about exchanges if there are problems with the second one.

I was planning on rolling naked, but instead ordered two cases from Amazon. They already shipped - arriving next week.
    None to exchange ? If they had any in the store I would have made them open a new one again lol
    09-22-2012 12:47 AM
    My white 64GB was damaged out of the box as well. I discovered it before leaving the Verizon store where I purchased it, so they were able to see it as well, They said they didn't have any units for exchange on launch day, but would call me in a couple of days when they get one, to swap it out. Grateful to have found it before ever taking it out of the store.

I think that as they see more of these complaints (and it seems there may be quite a few), they should be cool about exchanging them. For the price, they SHOULD be new and perfect out of the box.

Have a pre-order of same coming from Apple on Oct 5 and was going to cancel that when I got home from the store this morning. After seeing damage on one, I kept the pre-order and am interested to see two of them, from completely different build lots - side by side. If VZW somehow fails to come through, I will return theirs and keep the one I bought from Apple - as they will be great about exchanges if there are problems with the second one.

I was planning on rolling naked, but instead ordered two cases from Amazon. They already shipped - arriving next week.
    Just go to an Apple store. They will exchange it even if you ordered from Verizon (like I did). They have special replacement units on hand. Typically they are refurbished but at this point since there are no referbs yet, they are brand new.
    09-22-2012 12:59 AM
    When I received my Iphone 4 2 years ago I had the same problem. They replaced it right away. The sales person told me that apple gives them a certain number of exchange units, incase customers come back with problems. You should be alright even if they don't have it in stock. They will get you a new one in a few days.
    09-22-2012 01:19 AM
    Same problem with me, Went to apple and they said in a few days, to go back and they'll swap it for me no problem
    09-22-2012 02:20 AM
    No scratches or dings. Just the Lightning cable...defective. Have to go to the Apple store tomorrow.
    09-22-2012 03:14 AM
    The metal on the edge's must be damn soft !
    09-22-2012 03:28 AM
    Of coarse I got some tiny tiny dings on my 32g white ip5... Sucks but everything else seems ok. I put a case on it when I got it at Verizon. I just hate to be picky and my OCD is off the charts. Don't know what to do.
    09-22-2012 06:59 AM
    None to exchange ? If they had any in the store I would have made them open a new one again lol
    I know, right? I tried. Having been there for 2 hrs before they opened & being first in the door, I was bummed to get a bum phone. Clearly, after selling a total of 6 phones (mine + 5 others, they still had more white 64s (someone in line polled the rest of us -- most wanted 16's or 32's). The manager actually looked at me like I was speaking a different language or was growing a second head when asked them to do that: "just take another one off the pile". They said "you GOT one, it works, we can't replace it today" - even though I had nothing to do with how it came out of the box, neither did they.

I didn't want to be a jerk about it at the beginning of their day and mine (actually, I would avoid being a jerk about it at any time), so once they were clear that they would take care of it I said cool. I also knew the Apple order would be here in a couple of weeks, so I could handle it either way.

I know they will be cool. That has been "my" store for years, to the point where I know the staff and they at least recognize me. And once I got over the initial surprise, they were right: I had one and it worked. And even with dings on the back, it's awesome. A new, clean one will be even more awesome once things calm down a little!
    09-22-2012 08:00 AM
    My brother and I both got our 5's in the mail today and his also had two chips on the side of it. He was not happy and I told him we'd go over to Apple to get it fixed, hopefully they will take care of it. Here is a pic, the two spots are chips in the finish:

Click to view quoted image

Wow - that looks bad. Hope they did take care of you. Apple is so great that way!
    09-22-2012 08:03 AM
    I won't upgrade my iPhone 4S to a 5 i think i will upgrade my 16gigs to a 32gigs. Very scrachable,very sensible , i prefer the iPhone 4S model. Also i try yesterday the iPhone 5 and i feel it more feminine and more like a toy.

Sorry Apple even your ads didn't convince me to buy one.
    09-22-2012 08:09 AM
    On mine, there are slight dings/scratches on the metal finish. At the rounded edge, there is a slight nick on the metal. I'm debating whether to take it in for an exchange. But they are minor and I will case it anyways.
    09-22-2012 12:09 PM
    Yikes that sucks.
    09-22-2012 12:19 PM
    had a ding in between my volume buttons. Went to Apple and got it replaced no problem and no questions asked.
    09-22-2012 01:34 PM
    A ransom note works 99.9% of the time.
    09-23-2012 12:41 PM
    Thats sad buddy ... did u get a replacement ?
    09-23-2012 12:53 PM
    Ok just got off the phone with a local Apple store. They said to bring it in tonight and they'll take care of it. Seems like they have units on hand for exchanges. That's why I love Apple!
    AppleCare is the key reason I love my Apple products. My MBP was having issues with booting up, the tested it couldn't figure out what it was and it was intermittent. Simple solution they offered to replace my HDD and ribbon cable straight up.

Plus if you have an issue with a new product they will just take care of you, no BS, no hassles. They know the chips and scratches exist on a % of devices so they are ready for them, they will fix them and use them for warranty replacements.
    09-23-2012 02:34 PM
    Luckily mine isn't anything less than perfect. I've spent several hours going over every mm of the phone lol.
    09-23-2012 03:20 PM
    Scratched back and 2 dings in the bezel out of the box. Apple store had a replacement got to my car and my gf noticed a dent in the back and a small ding in the bezel. This was around closing and the manager said they didn't have another replacement but she would call me in a few days when they do. So now I have a temporary toy I can't do much with. No point in loading apps on what amounts to a loaner. Not a good start for my first iPhone.
    09-24-2012 12:55 AM
    You guys make me wonder I I should take my otterbox off and look closer lol but I got black so I think I would have noticed
    09-24-2012 12:58 AM
    You guys make me wonder I I should take my otterbox off and look closer lol but I got black so I think I would have noticed
    Yeah no kidding going to check the wife's phone tomorrow,hopefully no surprises.
    09-24-2012 02:47 AM
    just checked over mine, bit stupid that i didnt before!

few marks, called Apple and they are sending out a replacement asap! i can keep this one until my new one arrives.

perfect
    09-24-2012 12:24 PM
    I am glad there are no refurbs. For a brand new phone, damaged out of the box, replacement should also be brand new phone, full stop. Big problem to buy new phone, draw the short straw, then wind up with a REFURB? That would be wrong on SO many levels.

I already thought about possibility that Verizon would replace with a device that was returned by someone else: that's why I kept the Apple pre-order after all - to have a backup in case things went wrong with Verizon.

I am confident that Verizon will come through -- but confidence with a backup plan is even better!
    09-24-2012 12:31 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD