iPhone 5 rattle?

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Just FYI, talked to Apple and they told me to go to AT&T and they would exchange it with no problems. AT&T of course refused. Apple got back with me and they are shipping me a brand new phone and then I have to ship mine back to them. Hopefully this new one doesn't have a rattle and is free of scuffs and scratches. I'm really impressed with Apple taking such good care of me. Apple didn't appear to be familiar with the problem, but I don't know. The little rattle has been annoying me so I'm super thankful they are willing to exchange it. Mine is definitely a piece up by the camera. Now fingers crossed the new one doesn't rattle as well! :eek:

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I got a replacement from Apple today and it does the same thing...same "rattle" issue when you tap the upper half of the phone near the camera. Disappointing, but what can you do? :(

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Just FYI, talked to Apple and they told me to go to AT&T and they would exchange it with no problems. AT&T of course refused. Apple got back with me and they are shipping me a brand new phone and then I have to ship mine back to them. Hopefully this new one doesn't have a rattle and is free of scuffs and scratches. I'm really impressed with Apple taking such good care of me. Apple didn't appear to be familiar with the problem, but I don't know. The little rattle has been annoying me so I'm super thankful they are willing to exchange it. Mine is definitely a piece up by the camera. Now fingers crossed the new one doesn't rattle as well! :eek:

Why Apple would tell you to go to AT&T is beyond me. They know that AT&T would direct you right back to them. Either way, glad they are taking care of you. The new one they sent me last week didn't do it so good luck.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I got a replacement from Apple today and it does the same thing...same "rattle" issue when you tap the upper half of the phone near the camera. Disappointing, but what can you do? :(

If you tap on it, that's normal and they all will do it. It shouldn't be doing it with a simple shake.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Mine does it with a simple shake. But I read that's normal as the camera has more lens or something.

It very well be "normal" but there are some out there that do not rattle unless you tap on it. (So tapping it is normal. Has been since the 3G) I swapped mine out and my new one does not do it.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I was just at the AT&T store and the black one on display rattled just like mine when barely shaken and tapped. I might call Apple up to see what's up. One rattled from a very loose sleep wake button.

I'd just hate to exchange and get one with a real problem. Seems like half rattle and half don't.

Jeremy, how bad was your first one?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was just at the AT&T store and the black one on display rattled just like mine when barely shaken and tapped. I might call Apple up to see what's up. One rattled from a very loose sleep wake button.

I'd just hate to exchange and get one with a real problem. Seems like half rattle and half don't.

Jeremy, how bad was your first one?

Bad enough to drive me crazy. I noticed it just by lift the phone to my ear to answer a call 10 minutes after I got it. I could turn the phone over gently and hear it. New one is silent unless you tap on the back by the camera which like I've mentioned before is completely normal regardless what others may think.

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Well I guess mine's normal then. Haha. It just annoys me that I hear it a bit when I sit my phone down on a table or something.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's exactly what mine is doing. Just called up Apple and they are sending me a beans new one. This isn't really a rattle, yet more of a loose piece inside the camera lens. Rattling is normal, not a loose piece moving when I lift it to my ear.

They they set a side a few brand new iPhones during every launch for reasons such as damaged during transit or DOA.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah that's exactly what mine is doing. Just called up Apple and they are sending me a beans new one. This isn't really a rattle, yet more of a loose piece inside the camera lens. Rattling is normal, not a loose piece moving when I lift it to my ear.

They they set a side a few brand new iPhones during every launch for reasons such as damaged during transit or DOA.

Good luck with the new one, keep us posted.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Now your going to think I'm nuts. I'm actually going to call Apple up tomorrow morning and tell them to cancel it. This iPhone 5 is horrible. The form factor is awful. I hate where they moved the headphone jack. My signal is way worse. Its way too light and thin. It doesn't feel like a quality premium product like the 4S did.

It even feels the exact same as the 4S running iOS 6. I hate the phone. Its not worth a 2 year contract. I'm very dissapointed that Johnny Ive designed this phone.

Ok, rant over.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Now your going to think I'm nuts. I'm actually going to call Apple up tomorrow morning and tell them to cancel it. This iPhone 5 is horrible. The form factor is awful. I hate where they moved the headphone jack. My signal is way worse. Its way too light and thin. It doesn't feel like a quality premium product like the 4S did.

It even feels the exact same as the 4S running iOS 6. I hate the phone. Its not worth a 2 year contract. I'm very dissapointed that Johnny Ive designed this phone.

Ok, rant over.

I understand it's not going to be a hit with the world. Can't please everyone, good luck with whatever you decide to move on to.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Bummer. Yeah the OS obviously feels the same but I love the screen and LTE. Maybe give it a run again later.

ces911

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Going today to apple for a check up on why that rattling is happening. It's annoying and can't take it anymore. Hopefully a positive outcome.

---------- Post Merged at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Going today to apple for a check up on why that rattling is happening. It's annoying and can't take it anymore. Hopefully a positive outcome.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR