iPhone 5 rattle?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So are they saying its normal and not replacing the phone? I have an appointment tomorrow at MacArthur to see about getting a replacement. If it was normal I think ALL the iphone 5s would be doing it.

They will replace it though chances of you getting another just like it are highly probable. Since *most of them do this.

abadgti

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
They will replace it though chances of you getting another just like it are highly probable. Since *most of them do this.

The tech took mine apart and found that the battery was loose. He reattached but replaced it with a new one because he didn't feel comfortable giving me back my old one.

So no this isn't normal and you should take yours back.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The tech took mine apart and found that the battery was loose. He reattached but replaced it with a new one because he didn't feel comfortable giving me back my old one.

lol...I love these new people trying to start a panic. I cannot WAIT until TiPb gets back to normal.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

People are confusing a loose battery for a moving (pretty much normal) camera rattle. lol Of course if you have a loose battery you should take it back.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think it's funny that someone actually told them they had a loose battery, considering 99.999999% of the time when something is reported as wrong and can be replicated in the store, they simply take the "broken" iPhone and give them a new one, without looking at it with any legitimacy.

abadgti

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
lol...I love these new people trying to start a panic. I cannot WAIT until TiPb gets back to normal.

I'm just telling you what the tech told me. I don't care if people take their phones back or not. All I know is he said that's not normal and swapped it for a new one.

abadgti

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I think it's funny that someone actually told them they had a loose battery, considering 99.999999% of the time when something is reported as wrong and can be replicated in the store, they simply take the "broken" iPhone and give them a new one, without looking at it with any legitimacy.

He took it to the back. Came back and said he took it apart and the battery was loose. Why would I lie. I could really care less what people do with their phones.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just telling you what the tech told me. I don't care if people take their phones back or not. All I know is he said that's not normal and swapped it for a new one.

It wasn't your situation at the Apple store that triggered my response...it was this...

It's no big deal, i just think that the proverbial tidal wave of panic is rather humorous this year.

KayvanF

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Same here

Same thing in my 32gb black/slate, I held my finger on the sleep button, still make the noises, did it seperately to the volume and silent switch and camera lens and flash same thing. Sounds like its something inside, I got my phone on Friday, I ordered it from ATT, I haven't gotten Apple care yet, should I take it to ATT or to the Apple store? Either way its not normal a few of my friends that got them at various storage sizes and colors dont have the same problem. Otherwise device is great!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Same thing in my 32gb black/slate, I held my finger on the sleep button, still make the noises, did it seperately to the volume and silent switch and camera lens and flash same thing. Sounds like its something inside, I got my phone on Friday, I ordered it from ATT, I haven't gotten Apple care yet, should I take it to ATT or to the Apple store? Either way its not normal a few of my friends that got them at various storage sizes and colors dont have the same problem. Otherwise device is great!

You'd probably have more luck getting a replacement at the Apple Store itself since AT&T seems to be running thin on stock.

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Assuming it could be the autofocus mechanism, I'd rather have one rattle a little than one that didn't meaning it could be so tight that it will bind up.

Any bets that there's now going to be a rush on the Apple stores with folks wanting phones that rattle? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
My 32 gig white iPhone 5 does this and I noticed it almost immediately. I never noticed it with my 4, but just went back and checked my 4 and my mom's 4 and they both have the rattle. Is it something I should take back and get a replacement? Sounds like chances are a new one will do the same thing. And as long as it's not something that is going to be a problem down the road, then I'm probably ok with it...

JSho101

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
So, it's just something "normal" that one shouldn't worry about?

On a side note, I've been able to get my hands on 9 iPhones to test this out...from iPhone 4 to 4S to the new 5, and every single one does the same thing. I find it odd that I had my 4 for 2.5 years and never noticed it. However, I noticed it on my 5 on the second day. As long as it won't cause problems down the road then I'm fine with it. But I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring something that is actually wrong with the phone.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So, it's just something "normal" that one shouldn't worry about?

On a side note, I've been able to get my hands on 9 iPhones to test this out...from iPhone 4 to 4S to the new 5, and every single one does the same thing. I find it odd that I had my 4 for 2.5 years and never noticed it. However, I noticed it on my 5 on the second day. As long as it won't cause problems down the road then I'm fine with it. But I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring something that is actually wrong with the phone.

It will not cause any issues down the road, no. You can try your luck at swapping it out at your local Apple store and see what happens though most of them do this, but not all.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My 4, 4S, and 5 have all had a rattle near the camera area. But my 5 rattles so much worse then the others. I can loosely hold the hold and tap my phone anywhere and it will make the rattle.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My new one Apple shipped out to me Friday arrived this morning and I'm happy to report it does NOT have any rattle what so ever. So for those of you who want a rattle free phone, there is hope. :)