Best buy put me on top of the waiting list. It may not hurt the performance of the phone but I know it will hurt the resale value of it
    09-22-2012 10:38 AM
    I hear a very slight rattle which I'm positive is the wake button on top of the phone. My iPhone 4 did the exact same thing, and it never got any worse. No biggie, don't sweat it guys, just enjoy your phones.
    isuquinndog likes this.
    09-22-2012 10:47 AM
    Jeremy I just stopped by apple. The rep seems confident that its the vibrate roter in the top of the phone located next to the camera flash. He said it is not a main concern however, nor is the loose power button.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk
    That is one possibility yes and I'm sure in some cases that is exactly what it is. And on the flip side of that coin it's a camera component, which has existed since the iPhone 3G/3GS. I will admit technically nothing is wrong but I still think that nothing should rattle inside the device. Guess it just depends on the individual and what they are willing to accept.
    09-22-2012 01:38 PM
    My iPhone is extremely solid. No rattle whatsoever.
    09-22-2012 02:29 PM
    i also have this noise lol
    09-22-2012 02:29 PM
    I had the noise on my 4 that was the volume buttons.

Sent from my iPhone 4
    09-22-2012 03:00 PM
    Thanks for that thread! I asked it in another thread in this forum even after the unboxing of my device. It's coming from the upper right side and the sleep button doesnt change anything with me at all. Still have that voice.

It doesnt effect anything but at least knowing there is something like that can be enough for feeling uncomfortable about the shiny new device.. According to the answers from you guys, I'll decide if it would be worth to show to a genius or maybe change it..
    09-22-2012 06:28 PM
    I am shaking mine even with holding home button and still can hear that tinny sound that something is loose. So that is not the home button, we'll see I guess :/
    09-22-2012 07:16 PM
    shaking mine holding the button no more sounds shake when button not pressed and hear a tiny rattle nothing to loud i am okay with it at this point.
    09-22-2012 07:34 PM
    Time to open one up and see what's inside. Any takers?

Sent from my iPhone 4
    09-22-2012 08:01 PM
    Jeremy I just stopped by apple. The rep seems confident that its the vibrate roter in the top of the phone located next to the camera flash. He said it is not a main concern however, nor is the loose power button.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk
    So are they saying its normal and not replacing the phone? I have an appointment tomorrow at MacArthur to see about getting a replacement. If it was normal I think ALL the iphone 5s would be doing it.
    09-22-2012 11:25 PM
    ive had this on all 3 iphone 4/4s i had, in fact, when i got my iphone 5 in shipment yesterday, the first thing i checked was for the rattle LOL.

but yes, it's by the camera, i was told..my 5th time actually that it's the vibration motor. i went to the apple store anyways, just to stock up on some lightning cables first 2 times i heard the rattle i freaked out too. then i just accepted that it was the vibrate moto
    09-22-2012 11:35 PM
    So are they saying its normal and not replacing the phone? I have an appointment tomorrow at MacArthur to see about getting a replacement. If it was normal I think ALL the iphone 5s would be doing it.
    A friend and me got our iPhone 5s replaced. I'd rather have a non-rattling phone. I went through 4 replacements. First 2 rattled as well, an the 3rd he accidentally dropped it. Lol. But the genius was cool about it. Sorry if I pay $450 for a phone, I expect perfection. Take it in and demand you get one that doesn't rattle. They were out of boxed ones, but they definitely have "service phones" which are brand new obviously, no box, etc.

Also, reading back, I suspect my original issue was a lose battery as it was pretty loud.
    09-23-2012 02:18 AM
    It is the camera. The camera is held in by magnets. When it is in autofocus mode (which it is in usually) it will rattle if tapped by the camera lens.

Do this:

Use your camera function on autofocus mode.
    Tap by the camera while it is out of focus or trying to focus. It will make a rattling noise.
    Now tap it when it is focused on something. That rattle will go away.

This is part of an advanced camera system that can't be done any other way as of yet in such a tiny platform. It is the most advanced technology the world has at this point for a mobile phone camera.

Be grateful. If it all works, IT's FINE.

There is nothing wrong.
    09-23-2012 03:17 AM
    It's a part of the camera I have it too on my 4s and I take awesome pics !
    09-23-2012 03:46 AM
    They will replace it though chances of you getting another just like it are highly probable. Since *most of them do this.
    09-23-2012 10:53 AM
    I will be shaking phones when I go to pick mine up this week. Only benefit of not getting on launch day
    09-23-2012 12:30 PM
    I will be shaking phones when I go to pick mine up this week. Only benefit of not getting on launch day
    Try all of the display models. Good chance 9 out of 10 will do it. Again something that has existed since the 3GS.
    09-23-2012 12:38 PM
    Try all of the display models. Good chance 9 out of 10 will do it. Again something that has existed since the 3GS.
    I will also get to see the white and black side by side,and choose right there.
    09-23-2012 12:45 PM
    They will replace it though chances of you getting another just like it are highly probable. Since *most of them do this.
    The tech took mine apart and found that the battery was loose. He reattached but replaced it with a new one because he didn't feel comfortable giving me back my old one.

So no this isn't normal and you should take yours back.
    09-23-2012 03:30 PM
    The tech took mine apart and found that the battery was loose. He reattached but replaced it with a new one because he didn't feel comfortable giving me back my old one.

lol...I love these new people trying to start a panic. I cannot WAIT until TiPb gets back to normal.
    09-23-2012 03:33 PM

People are confusing a loose battery for a moving (pretty much normal) camera rattle. lol Of course if you have a loose battery you should take it back.
    09-23-2012 04:41 PM
    I think it's funny that someone actually told them they had a loose battery, considering 99.999999% of the time when something is reported as wrong and can be replicated in the store, they simply take the "broken" iPhone and give them a new one, without looking at it with any legitimacy.
    09-23-2012 04:48 PM
    lol...I love these new people trying to start a panic. I cannot WAIT until TiPb gets back to normal.
    I'm just telling you what the tech told me. I don't care if people take their phones back or not. All I know is he said that's not normal and swapped it for a new one.
    09-23-2012 05:29 PM
    I think it's funny that someone actually told them they had a loose battery, considering 99.999999% of the time when something is reported as wrong and can be replicated in the store, they simply take the "broken" iPhone and give them a new one, without looking at it with any legitimacy.
    He took it to the back. Came back and said he took it apart and the battery was loose. Why would I lie. I could really care less what people do with their phones.
    09-23-2012 05:31 PM
130 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD