As a gift, so I don't have a choice over capacity (or I'd have gone with the 32GB). Do you think the 16GB is sufficient (personally I doubt so)? My music library is 5.8GB, I don't store videos/photos on my phone (I have an iPad for the occasional TV show/movie), I use a fair amount of apps, I'm looking to game on my iPhone (while iPad gaming offers a larger screen the larger size tends to be cumbersome at times).

What should I do? Sell and buy a 32GB, or do you think the 16GB suffices?

(I'm new, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask!)
    09-19-2012 11:02 AM
    There's an old saying from the good old muscle car days.

"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

Apps and games costs storage. How many games and apps do you wanna load?

Better safe than sorry... I'd sell the 16 and go for the 32 if it were me.
    09-19-2012 11:08 AM
    Unless you load your phone down with tons of movies and TV shows, you'll be fine. I've had as much as 5gb of songs on my 4s 16gb and almost 2gb of photos and my phone worked fine. No lags.
    Premium1 likes this.
    09-19-2012 11:22 AM
    There's an old saying from the good old muscle car days.

"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

Apps and games costs storage. How many games and apps do you wanna load?

Better safe than sorry... I'd sell the 16 and go for the 32 if it were me.
    What I have in mind is:

Use the 16GB first for the time being (on my 3GS 16GB I actually have 4+GB free, but then on my 3GS I don't have a lot of games for obvious reasons ), and if I find myself severely crippled by the lack of storage then I'll upgrade.

In the first few weeks of launch stocks will be bought up quickly anyway so it'd be tough securing a 32GB without pre-ordering.

And if I do manage to get by on the 16GB then I'd have saved a couple hundred bucks. If not, a couple hundred bucks is reasonable for years of consumer satisfaction.

What do you think?
    iLoveApple16 likes this.
    09-19-2012 11:24 AM
    Unless you load your phone down with tons of movies and TV shows, you'll be fine. I've had as much as 5gb of songs on my 4s 16gb and almost 2gb of photos and my phone worked fine. No lags.
    Hopefully. Although some high-quality driving games take up as much as, or even more than 1GB of storage :O

Oh man. Haha.
    09-19-2012 11:28 AM
    Wouldn't it be possible to sell it for more if you have it in hand while supply is low? Sell it at a premium to someone who has to have one asap and order your 32gb
    09-19-2012 11:28 AM
    As a gift, so I don't have a choice over capacity (or I'd have gone with the 32GB). Do you think the 16GB is sufficient (personally I doubt so)? My music library is 5.8GB, I don't store videos/photos on my phone (I have an iPad for the occasional TV show/movie), I use a fair amount of apps, I'm looking to game on my iPhone (while iPad gaming offers a larger screen the larger size tends to be cumbersome at times).

What should I do? Sell and buy a 32GB, or do you think the 16GB suffices?

(I'm new, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask!)
    well i say the more the better. with that being said I always grab the 16GB as the 16 cost is high enough for me as it is. I have over a TB of movie and music but I def dont listen and watch them all the time. I usually keep about 3-4GB of media on my phone at a time and when I add more I just get rid of what Im not using at the time.
    09-19-2012 11:32 AM
    Wouldn't it be possible to sell it for more if you have it in hand while supply is low? Sell it at a premium to someone who has to have one asap and order your 32gb
    Yeah, but I'm afraid I AM one of those who "has to have one asap" and can't wait to start using my brand-new iPhone 5! :/

well i say the more the better. with that being said I always grab the 16GB as the 16 cost is high enough for me as it is. I have over a TB of movie and music but I def dont listen and watch them all the time. I usually keep about 3-4GB of media on my phone at a time and when I add more I just get rid of what Im not using at the time.
    I don't put movies on my phone, I watch them on my computer at home. But 1TB is really insane! :O
    miketko likes this.
    09-19-2012 11:47 AM
    The thing with capacity on your iPhone. You'll never complain about having too much, just too little.

I ordered the 64gb version. I currently have the 32gb version and am always running out of space (even with converting MP3's to 128kbps. I listen to a lot of audio podcasts, and like watching video podcasts on the phone while at work. Those can eat up 700meg to a gig a pop easy depending on the length.
    09-19-2012 12:03 PM
    16gb has always been enough for me. I use Spotify now too and have more space than ever. If you don't watch movies on your phone or do major gaming, you are fine
    09-19-2012 12:03 PM
    I ordered the 64gb but I keep a lot of stuff on my phone. Given all that you have said, it sounds like doing anything that would postpone having the new phone in your hands is not an option. BUT, if you could muster up some patience and consider this may be your phone over the next two years....I would bite the bullet and get a 32gb. I am not sure your $ situation, but if it was bought as an upgrade on your line, I would return it unopened, pay the extra $100, order the 32GB. If it was bought outright, I would sell it unopened on eBay for the high price you'll get, and turn around and order the 32GB at possibly no money out of pocket or even a little profit.
    I say this because the best of the new games are nearing 1GB or more in size. Otherwise, I would throw all of that music in a cloud service to free up space on the 16gb.
    Either way, good luck and enjoy your phone when you get it!!
    miketko likes this.
    09-19-2012 12:16 PM
    I don't know, I guess I'm on the opposite end of most people here. I don't keep much music locally on my phone (I stream it), and I use my iPad for movies (64 GB on that, and why would I want to watch them on my phone anyway if I have an iPad?). The only other big memory hog is apps, mostly games, and I've found that 90% of the games I have on my phone have not been played for weeks or months at any given time. If I'm not playing them, I remove them until such a time as I want to reinstall them again, and at that point I'll delete something else to make room.

I dunno, for me personally, 16 GB is plenty. I had a 32 GB iPhone 4, and only used a max of about 10 GB at any given time. As long as you're selective about what you sync, and only load the stuff you actually use on a daily or weekly basis, there's no reason you can't easily get by with 16 GB, especially if you already have an iPad or something else for movies and big games.
    09-19-2012 04:48 PM
    I am currently on a maxed out 8gb iPhone 4. I opted for the 32GB. After using the 8GB phone for a year+ I am going to be quite at home with a 32GB. Although my music library is over 40GB I pick and choose playlists for the most part. Remember, not all your music has to be on there if it's not possible for you to somehow obtain a phone with higher storage capacity.
    09-19-2012 06:31 PM
    I always get the 16GB and have never had any issues. I use iTunes Match so stream my music collection so that it doesn't take up space on my phone. I have over 80GB of music and would never be able to choose what to cut for it to fit even on the 64GB iPhone so it works better for me this way.

As for apps, I probably have ADD, but I get bored of them very quickly. Once bored I just delete them and look for new ones. I almost prefer having the 16gb as it forces me to clean up more often.
    09-19-2012 06:36 PM
    I had the 32GB and I downgraded to the 16GB for the iPhone 5. With spotify and iTunes Match I dont store any music on my phone so that frees up tons of space.
    09-19-2012 06:39 PM
    I have always had the 16gig models and they are plenty big enough for me. There's easily enough space to put loads of apps and enough music for several hours without listening to the same tune twice.

Put it this way, you could put about 1500-2000 tunes (depending on file size) in 8gig and still have 8gig left for apps. If you have 1500 tunes and each one is 4 minutes long, that's 100 hours of music without listening to the same track twice.

With the remaining 8gig, if you take the average app size as being 25mb, then you could store over 300 apps on your phone as well as the music.

I'm fairly sure that's probably enough for you!
    09-19-2012 06:55 PM
    If you rent movies for trips.....you will consider upgrading to the 32. I am this go around.
    09-19-2012 06:58 PM
    As long as you're selective about what you sync, and only load the stuff you actually use on a daily or weekly basis, there's no reason you can't easily get by with 16 GB
    Or, in other words, the larger your capacity, the less work you have to do to manage what's on the phone. The lower capacity, the more work you have to do.
    09-20-2012 11:47 AM
    Or, in other words, the larger your capacity, the less work you have to do to manage what's on the phone. The lower capacity, the more work you have to do.
    Pretty much, yes. Of course, this applies to anything else in life. It's a whole lot easier to buy and horde every piece of clothing you can so that you never have to do laundry, but it's also a heck of a lot more expensive. I prefer to just do my laundry is all.
    09-20-2012 12:22 PM
    I think that if you want your entire music collection on the go and if you are a app junkie like me 32g or 64g is the way to go. I have a 16g 4s with just a few fav tunes but over 7 gigs of apps and find myself managing the app all the time.
    09-20-2012 12:53 PM
    I always get 32GB. 16GB is not enough for me. I like to keep all my music, pics and vids on my device and 16GB is not sufficient. Especially when they keep increased the quality of pictures and videos which means larger files. 32GB allows me to store everything with a few extra GBs available. Having said that, most people can get by with 16GB with everything being available for streaming now. But of course that means having a good internet connection when you need you content. And since I don't want to kill my battery or worry about signal strength, I just like having it all stored locally. That's just me though. Everyone is different. LOL maybe next year, I'll need (want) 64GB since I'm getting close to reaching capacity.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 09-20-2012 at 01:49 PM.
    09-20-2012 01:46 PM
    Side note, just downloaded some games for when my iPhone 5 comes. Asphalt 7, 1gig. Infinity Blade 2, 1 gig. Wild Blood, 771MB.
    09-21-2012 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD