Black iPhone 5 antenna concern

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
All i know is im not using any type of case that 'snaps' onto the iPhone because just looking at my iPhone 4, there are little black marks on the silver band on the side from cases that snap onto it and then when you snap them off, they scrath up the sides, so if you are gonna use a case, i'd go with a bumper or something that wont scrape

CVCONDE

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
It's looking pretty noticeable in this picture from the pocket lint review. Top corner looks to be all scuffed up :(

If that's a scuff, how come in the next picture it isn't noticeable!?!?

This is the scuff Pocket Lint was referring to.

To the upper right of the SIM tray.

Last edited:

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
i thought they only mentioned the back as anodized aluminum i could be wrong however i also ordered the black one i hope these are not true and maybe the review units have been put through the ringer already or these guys could be scratching it off or something to see what it would take i don't know what i do know is apple will be replacing it if it does happen or exchanging it for a white one.

I'll buy a "P" for punctuation please Alex...

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Everybody chill the $&@? out...even Apple makes mistakes, but I doubt they would have overlooked something this simple. They've tested this for sure

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Everybody chill the $&@? out...even Apple makes mistakes, but I doubt they would have overlooked something this simple. They've tested this for sure

I'll buy a B and a S for busted skull Alex!!!! geesh this isn't english class patna its a forum and last i check i can run on run on run on run on sentence and leave out any signs of punctuation.

DoubleEagle

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It's a chance your going to have to take getting one out the gate. So let's say it does rub the black off in a couple weeks, what do you think should happen? I would bet that Apple will not switch you colors or replace the ip5. It's cosmetic, the phone still functions fine then your stuck to put a case on it.

GreatNeal

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Coming from Apple. Is this totally unexpected.
What the **** man. they had 98 billion to CREATE THE iPhone 5.
2 WHOLE YEARS TO MAKE IT. And a flaw comes out.
Coupled along with the failure of Apple maps for public transportation.
If Google Nexus is awesome this year. I'm going to kiss good bye

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a chance your going to have to take getting one out the gate. So let's say it does rub the black off in a couple weeks, what do you think should happen? I would bet that Apple will not switch you colors or replace the ip5. It's cosmetic, the phone still functions fine then your stuck to put a case on it.

i hadn't thought of it like that however i do think that apple would replace or let you choose a different color if its a manufacturing thing which it would be. If i bought a car and the paint rubs off the car in a couple of weeks i can take that car back i have seen it done at two mazda dealerships they fixed one and the other was traded in all together . As long as that warranty is there apple has to honor it and judging by their past they will or I hope they will because if not its definitely a deal breaker for the future for me.

DoubleEagle

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
i hadn't thought of it like that however i do think that apple would replace or let you choose a different color if its a manufacturing thing which it would be. If i bought a car and the paint rubs off the car in a couple of weeks i can take that car back i have seen it done at two mazda dealerships they fixed one and the other was traded in all together . As long as that warranty is there apple has to honor it and judging by their past they will or I hope they will because if not its definitely a deal breaker for the future for me.

I do agree with you, don't get me wrong. But this is a cosmetic and not hardware. For Apple to switch a phone for a different color I don't see it. Plus people could start prematurely rubbing the black off to get a white one. I just don't know.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I've witnessed Apple exchange bumper's for issues such as this before. Hopefully they will do the same for the $849 iPhone 5 I'm about to purchase off-contract... :rolleyes:

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Coming from Apple. Is this totally unexpected.
What the **** man. they had 98 billion to CREATE THE iPhone 5.
2 WHOLE YEARS TO MAKE IT. And a flaw comes out.
Coupled along with the failure of Apple maps for public transportation.
If Google Nexus is awesome this year. I'm going to kiss good bye

Cool story bro.......

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If its a manufacturer process defect they will fix it or catch a whole lot of flack from the web. Remember the HTC one series was having problems with the one finish chipping and that and they sent replacements. I can't see apple leaving people out in the cold if it is widespread.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I do agree with you, don't get me wrong. But this is a cosmetic and not hardware. For Apple to switch a phone for a different color I don't see it. Plus people could start prematurely rubbing the black off to get a white one. I just don't know.

Manufacturers warranty covers more than just hardware. If something cosmetic happens that the user had no control over is under that warranty.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll buy a B and a S for busted skull Alex!!!! geesh this isn't english class patna its a forum and last i check i can run on run on run on run on sentence and leave out any signs of punctuation.

Hey "padna"...who did you check with? Relax amigo...don't let yourself get riled up by a guy named Heckler. I don't take myself seriously and neither should you.

Back to the original point of the thread- this is something that Apple has looked at I'm sure. If they screw the pooch on this then I'm sure they'll correct it somehow. They owned up to antenna-gate after awhile and handed out the bumpers. Maybe they'll do something here IF this really is an issue. What do you say we get the phone out in the hands of the public and see if it's a problem before we panic about it :rolleyes:

Jimrod

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Well it's starting to look like a real issue...

iFixit just broke down the iP5 and commented on it with a pic - http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/nYR4CbjYJu6NpRtU.large

We all presume Apple test for this but we thought the same about antennas right? If they have them in external cases for secrecy then much like the antennas this wouldn't be an issue.

I can see this really blowing up into something, I never use a bumper because it ruins the design and doesn't go in my pocket as easily - it's intended to be used "naked" in any case so it's not an excuse that it should be put in a case. I'm not sure why they didn't stick with the bare aluminium, it looks smart on the white and my iP4 has lasted two years+ with no wear...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner