IPhone Extended Warranty/Insurance - Worth It?

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had an extended warranty/insurance on a phone in years and have only killed two iPhones since they were released. One drowned in the ocean and one shattered when it landed hard on the face (no bounce). Other than those two incidents, I usually go day to day, don't use protection and everything is fine. But... I read an article about insurance this morning -

Top 5 iPhone 5 Warranty Options Compared

It kind of got me wondering if I should.

Thoughts?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
AppleCare+ is worth it to me. One hundred bucks to extend the manufacturer warranty for two years and
covers physical damage with a $49 deductible. Limited to two within the two years though.

infty

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I decided to use the lifeproof case to protect my iPhone and didn't buy insurance. I was able to sell my iPhone 4S for $385 as the lifeproof case kept my iPhone in perfect shape.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
AppleCare+....worth it and will transfer to your next iPhone. I will have 390 days of coverage transfer over to my 5.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
AppleCare+....worth it and will transfer to your next iPhone. I will have 390 days of coverage transfer over to my 5.

Where did you get that info that you can transfer coverage to another device? Usually the coverage is based on the device it was originally purchased for. Even in the faqs or says its transferable to a new owner but to a new device. I'd love to see where you got this info because it'll be beneficial.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Where did you get that info that you can transfer coverage to another device? Usually the coverage is based on the device it was originally purchased for. Even in the faqs or says its transferable to a new owner but to a new device. I'd love to see where you got this info because it'll be beneficial.

Apple customer service. The rep had to ask his supervisor.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Apple customer service. The rep had to ask his supervisor.

Hmmmmmm. I do believe they told you that but I don't think they were correct. Most of the time you have to buy new coverage for a different device. In any event, I hope they were right because that saves people a lot of money. Thanks.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I had heard that it was not transferrable to cover a new device - only a one time transfer to a new owner. I have included a link below to the document on the Apple website. As I read it, it is not transferrable to a different device EXCEPT as outlined in section 3 - that coverage is extended for the remainder of the coverage period to the "new" (read: replacement) device.

The coverage is transferrable section 10) to a new owner should the current (previous) owner sell or transfer ownership to a new owner. This is limited to a one time transfer.

I think the rep was wrong, and if you rely on that information you may not be covered like you think you are.

3. What is Covered?
3.1 Hardware Service

If during the Plan Term, you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that (i) a defect in materials and
workmanship has arisen in the Covered iPhone or, (ii) the capacity of the Covered iPhone?s battery to
hold an electrical charge has depleted fifty (50%) percent or more from its original specifications, Apple
will either (a) repair the defect at no charge, using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in
performance and reliability, or (b) exchange the Covered iPhone with a replacement product that is new
or equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original
product. If Apple exchanges the Covered iPhone, the original product becomes Apple?s property and
the replacement product is your property, with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.

10. Transfer of Plan
Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your
rights under the Plan to another party
, provided that: (a) the transfer includes the original proof of
purchase, the Plan's Confirmation and all of the Plan's printed materials and these Terms and Conditions;
(b) you notify Apple of the transfer by sending, faxing or e-mailing notice of transfer to Apple Inc., ATTN:
Agreement Administration, MS: 217-AC, 2511 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758, U.S., fax number 916-
405-3655 or agmts_transfer@apple.com, respectively, and (c) the party receiving the Plan accepts the
terms and conditions of the Plan. When notifying Apple of the transfer of the Plan, you must provide the
Plan Agreement Number, the serial number of the Covered iPhone being transferred, and the name,
address, telephone number and email address of the new owner.

Source: https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf#mn_p

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I read this as I was speaking to said rep. I am cynical enough to see if I get the same answer when I call and talk to a different rep

I hope you're right... but I somehow doubt that you (more correctly THEY are). My only warning or comment is to be sure so as not to end up uncovered by surprise.

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Is Applecare available if I don't purchase the phone from an Apple store? I believe I have 30 days to get it and just have to visit one of their stores so they can make sure the phone is ok.

Not sure if I'm going to get it but I might.

When I bought my iPad from Target, they offered me insurance there. I didn't pay much attention to what the associate was saying and ended his speech early because I knew I wasn't going to get it. My phone is also coming from there so I might listen a little more closely to see what they say.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Is Applecare available if I don't purchase the phone from an Apple store? I believe I have 30 days to get it and just have to visit one of their stores so they can make sure the phone is ok.

Not sure if I'm going to get it but I might.

When I bought my iPad from Target, they offered me insurance there. I didn't pay much attention to what the associate was saying and ended his speech early because I knew I wasn't going to get it. My phone is also coming from there so I might listen a little more closely to see what they say.

Yes you can still get it. They check any device (or are supposed to check) any device where applecare was not purchased at the same time of the phone even if the phone was bought at Apple. Think about it, If I but a phone from Apple today and have it for 2 weeks and then go back to buy Applecare, even though I bought it from them, they have no clue what I did to the device during that time.

jdavies62

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
After a trawl round the review sites, I plumped on having my iphone covered with protect your bubble, was the easiest one and best value to buy online.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
As follow up, I had mentioned that apple cs told me my apple care + was transferable to my 5. Actually, they will pro-rate it and pay me back the roughly $50 left on my 4s, and I will buy apple care + tomorrow for the 5 at $99. Better than nothing.