Really struggling to see why I should upgrade to the 5

pegasusl

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi All

This is not a rant, it really is me asking for advice as I am really feeling I've just missed something with the 5.

I'm on a 4 (not even a 4S) right now in the UK. I didn't upgrade to the 4S as Siri in the UK just isnt really that useful and I couldn't see a reason to shell out the cash. I did think that the 5 would offer some real differences in terms of useability and function. My biggest gripe with my 4 is the home button is "glitchy" so was hoping for a resolution to the home button issues that commonly affect us all. Sadly this isn't the case.

So when the 5 was released to the world... I watched....baited breath....

Then we got a longer screen....:eek: Not really bothered I like the 3.5 screen as I use my phone one handed and want to be able to reach it all with one hand.

A faster chip....my 4 runs just fine

LTE.... Really? in the UK? it's just not there yet.

Then came the real killer for me...the new dock.
Forget it guys. I have 6 locations where I charge my phone. I also have 2 music docks. Changing the dock connector really makes this a huge pain in the a** and I'd have to spend a FORTUNE on adapters when it's Apple changing their equipment. Really if they want to impose a new dock connector they should include an adapter with the phone. Besides the adapter would actually stop my phone fitting into one of the speaker docks at all. Cant help but feel this was a mistake and it really has put me off the 5. Everone I speak to with a 4 or 4S isn't bothering with an upgrade and all seem to hate the idea of a new dock connector too. Was it really worth it just to move the headphone socket to the bottom?

Lastly is the cost in the UK is just beginning to get silly. ?529 for a basic model then more on top for dock adapters I'd rather not even need in the first place.

I'm really underwhelmed and cant help feeling Steve Jobs would have never accepted this unit at all. It's just not up to his standards in terms of improving the user experience. Sorry Tim but at the helm you're showing that we really needed someone more like Steve. It seems this is just a lazy half hearted offering and while new entry customers will be pleased, I cant for the life of me see why I should upgrade from a unit that is 2 models down. I just cant see anything new in the 5 thats worth the changes.

Please guys....tell me what I'm missing cos I'm feeling like I missed something huge here....

Chris :confused:

pegasusl

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
If you're just not into upgrading... DON'T. Just don't do it. Then feel free to not discuss it as well.
Was hoping for a more "useable" reply but thanks for joining in :D

I am all for upgrading....but this doesn't seem like an upgrade. More down sides than upsides and feels like a lot of cash for not a lot of change.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your preferences. If the 5 doesn't meet your qualifications for warranting an upgrade, then pass on it. Since you don't have LTE and seem to have quite a bit invested in the 30pin, you'd probably be better off waiting anyways.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am all for upgrading....but this doesn't seem like an upgrade. More down sides than upsides and feels like a lot of cash for not a lot of change.

Well, you've got it all figured out right there... the answer for you is don't upgrade.

have a nice evening.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps this post makes more sense in a week when you can solicit first hand observations. Currently, I know as much as you.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner