Scratches and scuffs

jinye

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
The screen protectors for the back of the iphone5, will they change significantly the texture of the back? Like, will they get the glassy finish that screen protectors in the front normally have?

Also, what are some good brands of screen protectors?

And some good cases for Iphone 5, i'm looking for slim and simple cases.

Thanks everyone!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine has a very, very minor scuff on the top edge of the right side. But it's going into a Speck Products case and will be covered so no biggie. But the serious scratches users are posting about are not acceptable. Phil Schiller saying they are normal wear and tear is BS, anything done to a device AFTER the owner gets it is normal wear and tear, not damaged done prior to delivery.

jinye

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I personally love SGP screen protectors. (Spigen.com) As for the back I'm going to use a bodyguardz back skin.

Case: iPhone 5 Case Ultra Thin Air Series | SPIGEN SGP

I was also thinking about the SGP screen protectors, and the case aswell. Barely There 2.0 by case-mate is also an option.

But it remained unanswered, does the back skin change the texture of the iphone on the back? Does it get that glassy feel to it?

jeffydude05

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I was also thinking about the SGP screen protectors, and the case aswell. Barely There 2.0 by case-mate is also an option.

But it remained unanswered, does the back skin change the texture of the iphone on the back? Does it get that glassy feel to it?

Well my phone isn't coming until tomorrow, so I have no clue yet. :) I might put an icarbon carbon fiber skin on though, haven't decided yet.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What I'm worried about is that even though I take care of the device, and put it in a hard case, removing it from the case may scratch the device. Though I admit I worried that would happen with the case I have now for my iphone 4, and while I don't remove it often, it's been taken out a handful of times and never showed wear from that. But the gorilla glass on the back must be less succeptible to nicks than painted aluminum. I'm thinking I should change to a soft case for this one. Particularly because the drop tests show that the impact scratching is the only damage a typical fall is likely to produce. My 4 fell a bunch of times from low heights (falls off/knocked off the nightstand to the wood floor from time to time) while in the hard case I had and while the case has significant wear, I couldn't care less about that as the phone still looks brand new.

jinye

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting the Ultra Thin case from SGP or the Barely There 2.0 by case-mate...

Which one do you think I should be getting?

As for the screen protector, I'll be getting probably the SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As for the screen protector, I'll be getting probably the SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector

This is the SP I am using and you can hardly tell I'm using one. You'll probably like it as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
First signs of wear (black slate model)

Well despite having the phone on a case (Otterbox Defender at that), I'm noticing tiny little wear spot on the black chamfered portion of the housing on my black iP5. I guess all it takes is a tiny speck of dirt or dust in the case to rub against. The Otterbox isn't airtight but still decently sealed, but dust and dirt ultimately still get in. Makes me wonder why even bother with a case for day-to-day use. I can see still using a case for taking my iphone 5 when doing activities suck as biking or hiking (to put in the pack for emergency).

With all my previous iPhones I've gone "naked", but with the 5 I cased it from day one, figuring I wanted to keep it pristine for resale, and also after hearing about the stores about how easy iP5 housins could get nicked. Now I'm wondering if casing it for daily use does more harm than good... :confused:

Apple - why did you not go with Type III hard anodizing, rather than the softer, Type II ?? Cost??

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what location on the housing is it?

On the shiny chamfered edge part. That area seems like the anodized layer is thinner. Because it's smoother on the chamfer vs the rest of the housing, the anodizing doesn't go as deep or get as thick there.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Re: First signs of wear (black slate model)

Well despite having the phone on a case (Otterbox Defender at that), I'm noticing tiny little wear spot on the black chamfered portion of the housing on my black iP5. I guess all it takes is a tiny speck of dirt or dust in the case to rub against. The Otterbox isn't airtight but still decently sealed, but dust and dirt ultimately still get in. Makes me wonder why even bother with a case for day-to-day use. I can see still using a case for taking my iphone 5 when doing activities suck as biking or hiking (to put in the pack for emergency).

With all my previous iPhones I've gone "naked", but with the 5 I cased it from day one, figuring I wanted to keep it pristine for resale, and also after hearing about the stores about how easy iP5 housins could get nicked. Now I'm wondering if casing it for daily use does more harm than good... :confused:

Apple - why did you not go with Type III hard anodizing, rather than the softer, Type II ?? Cost??

I've babied mine but it's gotten a few spots along the edge regardless. Not much you can do but accept it. It's no iphone 4/4S in that regard. And despite how much i love this iphone 5, it does feel like a step back in quality.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Tiny specks of dust won't scratch your phone. I tried scratching it with my nail, full force, without the slightest result that couldn't be wiped out entirely with my shirt.
And, BTW, its a phone, not a tank. Platic gets scratches, glass does too, and so does anodized aluminum - the difference being that the iP5 can endure a lot of falls without the slightest fail - except dents and scratches. If your case is a defender, I'd blame the plastic inner housing : you probably weren't careful enough when you put the phone in the first time, or got it out.

On the shiny chamfered edge part. That area seems like the anodized layer is thinner. Because it's smoother on the chamfer vs the rest of the housing, the anodizing doesn't go as deep or get as thick there.

The bezel is polished in order to get a mirror-like glint, and be smoother to the touch. The anodizing principle not going deep enough has got nothing to do with it being easier to scratch - but a mirror-like surface might present superficial scratches... Moreover, if you inform yourself correctly about the process of coloring anodized aluminum, you'll understand that unless you get all the way THROUGH the anodized coating, the color will resist. However, how deep can it get on a device that by itself is very very thin - 1mm perhaps? I think it's less than that... That's not enough to resist greater wear... As I said, its a phone, not a tank.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree sometimes cases do more harm than good on a phone. This is an obvious situation with the i5. Honestly I'm well beyond that. My black slate has a clear screen protector front+back and clear TPU I bought on eBay on sep 12. I've had this set up since sep 21. My phone is still flawless. The material on this case doesn't scratch at all. The case is TPU therefore flexible and easy to put on and remove. Every 2-3 days I remove case and clean off any dirt/dust/lint on phone. Here's link of actual case I have. BTW case is clear slim and still shows off i5 good looks. Still enjoying my phone 😄

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...600742218%26globalID%3DEBAY-US&token=6GQ6gzHU

...on iPhone5/iOS6 via Tapatalk...

GolfnCPA

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was trying to get one of those SGP home button covers off yesterday and scratched the home button. Still works fine, but for a guy that is OCD this bugs me. Meh.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative