Scratches and scuffs

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I hate to bring bad news, but to anyone concerned about the scratching on a black model...

I have had my iPhone 5 (black) maybe a grand total of five hours now. I already have a small scuff showing silver on one of the antenna bands. I obviously haven't dropped it or anything in this time. It's been on my pocket most of the time.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I hate to bring bad news, but to anyone concerned about the scratching on a black model...

I have had my iPhone 5 (black) maybe a grand total of five hours now. I already have a small scuff showing silver on one of the antenna bands. I obviously haven't dropped it or anything in this time. It's been on my pocket most of the time.

Do you have any pics you can show? Over at MacRumors there are a few people saying the same thing, but when asked for pictures, they never post again in the thread. My wife's black 32GB is flawless, and she actually dropped it on our hard wood floor earlier, still flawless (though she almost had a heart attack).

Here's a pic of mine... :)

3NXMB.jpg

Last edited:

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any pics you can show? Over at MacRumors there are a few people saying the same thing, but when asked for pictures, they never post again in the thread. My wife's black 32GB is flawless, and she actually dropped it on our hard wood floor earlier, still flawless (though she almost had a heart attack).

Click to view quoted image

I can post a picture when I get back home to my 4S. I don't have another camera at the moment.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the ****phone 5, wish I got an S3, this phone has crashed 5 times since I got it already!

The game probably isn't compatible with ios 6 yet. I have had a few apps do that when I try to launch them, my phone immediately returns to the springboard. See if there is an update.

I'm sure there are many out there who would trade straight across for a G3. Worth looking into if that's the direction you'd like to go. I've had several offers already.

TheZink

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Mine 32gig came this morning. Has a ding on the side of the case and my home button is completely crooked. Really annoying but Im gonna try and exchange it tomorrow. The scratch I can deal with but the home button will drive me nuts.
attachment.php

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
(by IrishRose)
Here's mine, Pink. :)
u5udyhy6.jpg
<br />
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Click to view quoted image

OMG 😱😲😱 Sean I can't believe your wife dropped hers already!!

Thanks for posting these Rose and Sean:) I actually escaped out of my house this afternoon for a little while and went to Verizon:D noooo.....I didn't buy the new i5 BUT I did look at it, check out the new design etc. Nice!! I can say m very torn as TI which color I would get-I'm partial to the white, but I'm really not crazy by how the aluminum backing looks on it:eek: which then turns me to the black....well, good thing I didn't have to decide right then and there lol.

Btw, the Verizon corp store by me wasn't really crowded at all, they still had phones in stock. In fact my daughter & I helped another woman chose her color:) she went with the black!! But I can say just walking through the door, there were 5-6 reps practically guarding the door-I felt chlostraphobic (sp?) there for a few moments just to tell them we're only here to window shop lol:p

(and yea I know, I completely screwed up quoting you Rose, sorry:eek:)

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
You're the biggest iSheep ever, when you get your Failphone 5 you'll realize they are not even as good as the S2, let alone the S3, it doesn't take a genius ;)

Not as good as the s2 or s3? Please. I had the s2. Came from the s2. That phone was the cheapest piece of s*** I have ever owned.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I read this thread a little while back. So yesterday when I was finally looking at some demo units I scratched the back of a black unit with my fingernail. There was a mark and then when I wiped it the scratch was gone. So I don't know how sharp that person's fingernail was but those marks looked etched. I did see little nicks on the chamfered edge of the demo units but those are naked and handled by thousands every day(that sounds so wrong:D). I was just a little worried because someone asked the Apple rep at the table about the "scratch issue". There was a pause and then he deflected which makes me think this might get some media like antennaegate.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I still feel better. Lol. I hate trolls. Fail to see the point. If thier phones are so awesome why are they on an iPhone site?

There is a segment of the population that simply likes to complain. About anything they can. They derive some sort of pleasure in complaining, and watching how people react. Those kind of folk are obvious - and we all need to learn to ignore the wazoo apertures when they make themselves evident.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I read this thread a little while back. So yesterday when I was finally looking at some demo units I scratched the back of a black unit with my fingernail. There was a mark and then when I wiped it the scratch was gone. So I don't know how sharp that person's fingernail was but those marks looked etched. I did see little nicks on the chamfered edge of the demo units but those are naked and handled by thousands every day(that sounds so wrong:D). I was just a little worried because someone asked the Apple rep at the table about the "scratch issue". There was a pause and then he deflected which makes me think this might get some media like antennaegate.

I've been saying all along take care of it and it will be fine. It's just how I take care of things is way different how the general user does. Nobody but me even touches my phones/tablets/computers. There is always something the mainstream media focuses on when it comes to Apple launches. Nothing you can do.

gregsomlok

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone cost 650 bucks. Lol the build quality is legit, but don't forget, the iPhone is also known for its beauty. So with that said we have to compromise somewhere because you wouldn't run a fingernail across your brand new Benz. Take care of your phone that's all. I don't know to many scratch resistant phones!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly why I ordered the Skinomi front/back screen protector kit off of Amazon.com earlier this week. The risk of scratches, even in a case are not worth my phone looking like a used car after a couple of months.

Not sure if the pre-order special is going on still but I paid $.99 per front/back kit and $2.95 USPS mail. Not a bad deal and I have used them before. Its the same 3M material the others use.

F34R

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I can see that the back will surely show some wear and tear on the back. The "silver" apple logo will for sure. So faring good.

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Second phone after the first arrived with a 1 inch scratch on the back and 2 chips in the bezel. Small chip in the back and another on the bezel. I'm hoping the store will get more stock soon so I can have my first iPhone be defect free.ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1348460385.468493.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2