Scratches and scuffs

theogt

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
There is no "scratch-gate", it's more like take care of your phone gate... I'll change the title as this is talking about scratching. We don't need a million posts on the topic of scratching your phone...
Creating a black border that can be easily scratched resulting in easily noticed damage is a problem. The question is only whether it can be "easily scratched" and "easily noticed".

We won't know the answer to that until the phone has been out in the wild for a while. But there are plenty of reports that there's a potential problem, so yes, there is a potential "scratch-gate" even if you'd like for there not to be.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Creating a black border that can be easily scratched resulting in easily noticed damage is a problem. The question is only whether it can be "easily scratched" and "easily noticed".

We won't know the answer to that until the phone has been out in the wild for a while. But there are plenty of reports that there's a potential problem, so yes, there is a potential "scratch-gate" even if you'd like for there not to be.

This all stemmed from one review so please show me one credible source. Why have no other reviews mentioned this or had this same issue? And I personally know people who've had the phone in black for months and have had no similar issues. One more time, take care of your things and you won't have issues like this. It will not rub off like the review leads you to believe. And the reviewer does not even say how it happened. Commenters asked him a million times and he ignores those questions.

*And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm saying it won't just flake off by normal use. (and by normal I mean someone who takes good care of their stuff)

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
But there are plenty of reports that there's a potential problem, so yes, there is a potential "scratch-gate" even if you'd like for there not to be.

I chalk this up to a certain segment of the population that lives to find fault... and will not be happy until they've found some, and bragged about it. They get attention, and attention makes them feel good. There are plenty of reports there's a potential monkeys could fly out my wazoo...

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
+1, i slap SP's on front/back of my iphone 4S, and i'll do the same with the next iPhone i own as well:)

Easiest way to protect our beloved iPhone. I also have done this to all the iPhones that I have and don't see why I wouldn't do the same with this one.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People who are buying into this "scratch gate" (as it has hilariously been coined) are fools. Check for yourself before you fall into the hype pool. I have my white one in my hand right now and it feels as durable as my MBP's aluminum.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
People who are buying into this "scratch gate" (as it has hilariously been coined) are fools. Check for yourself before you fall into the hype pool. I have my white one in my hand right now and it feels as durable as my MBP's aluminum.

theres always haters drinking the hateorade to cause controversy...we've seen plenty on the forum this morning already.....:rolleyes:

:eek: Sean, you MUST post a pic of your white i5, i really want to see it in 'real life' :eek::)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well when my wife get's back I'll snap a pic of it with her phone, i just handed over my 4S to it's new home!

Here's an article where the person took KEYS to the metal back...looks very similar to the people claiming scratches from a finger nail. Here's a bit of advice, if you don't want your iPhone to have scratches on the back, don't take a key and scratch it...

Black iPhone 5 Anodized Aluminum Susceptible to Scratching? - Mac Rumors

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 5 (vs Samsung Galaxy S3) Drop Tests Show Very Durable Device and Screen - Mac Rumors

I added the bold in the quote...

Well, as much as we hate to admit it, the iPhone 5 did amazingly well in our drop test, while the Samsung Galaxy S3 came out in pretty bad shape. It?s the cold hard truth that we can?t hide and we can?t ignore.
The hard aluminum shell of the iPhone 5 withstood the impact pretty well, and the glass protecting the display remained intact. Meanwhile, the Galaxy S3 predictably lost its back cover and suffered damage to the casing and the front glass. Sad, sad, sad.

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't bet on that.
These were just taken tonight at a local Apple store and done with a fingernail. My money isn't going to be spent on shoddy materials.

Click to view quoted image
Click to view quoted image

My white one came out of the box with bubbles in the plastic wrap. Under bubbles were dings in the silver back plate. They're going to swap out for me once they get one in, but no swap on launch day. I am now leery of the white. May trade for black depending on how it holds up during the wait for replacement.

At least it WORKS, so I can play with it, but will also have to spend double set-up time. More than half of my apps did not download from backup -- had to work out which ones, download again, and reconfigure folders. Semi-fun once, but twice? GAH!!! :eek:

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the only thing i noticed when playing with the demo last night at work (sooooo excited was I, it was like Christmas morning) is the black seems to be a fingerprint magnet, even the back plate. Don't know if the white will be the same.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

See my post about dings in the back plate. Related (sort of): my white phone looks yellowed to me. Cord and box and even Apple store image on Retina display all look bright white, whereas phone looks distinctly yellowish in comparison.

They are going to replace due to dings in the back plate out of the box, so I will hang loose to see what the replacement looks like. Have always had black - may have to go back! :D

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
:) ok, so for those of you REALLY concerned about the back scratching up but wanting to keep the phone naked - heres an idea - just put a screen protector on the back!!

issue solved.

this is exactly what I did this morning when i got mine..screen protector on front and back

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sean, you MUST post a pic of your white i5, i really want to see it in 'real life' :eek::)

Here's mine, Pink. :)

u5udyhy6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I think it is all about handling. If you are not confident about using your phone naked and are afraid of getting scratches on it get a case or protector.

My 4S is still mint and is now in the locker with other mint iPhones.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2