Sprint iPhone 5 buyers

What provider are you buying the iPhone 5 with?

• AT&T

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Sprint

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Verizon

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really heard from many people who are buying the iPhone 5 on the Sprint network, so I would like to hear from the current Sprint users and the people planning to switch over to Sprint with the iPhone 5. Tell me why you are staying with Sprint, why you plan to leave AT&T/Verizon for Sprint, etc... I would also like to hear from people who are leaving Sprint for AT&T/Verizon and why.

I am torn right now on whether I want to stay with Verizon or switch to Sprint

Pros of staying with Verizon:
- LTE
- Better cell coverage
- Won't have to pay a ETF.

Cons of staying with Verizon:
- Have to wait till 10/15 to upgrade and run the risk of being put on a waiting list and having to wait even longer for the iPhone 5.
- I will lose my unlimited data plan when I upgrade and sign a new 2yr contract.

Pros of switching to Sprint:
- I can purchase the iPhone 5 on release day, and if they are sold out, I will be put on a waiting list and still get one earlier than if I stayed on Verizon.
- Unlimited Data
- Although Sprint has no LTE in Nashville at the moment, they plan to have it up and running in a month or two.
- Girlfriend uses Sprint and we've been dating for a while and marriage has started to become very likely, so it would be easy to merge if such an occasion were to happen. :)

Cons of switching to Sprint:
- No LTE in Nashville yet (coming in the next couple months)
- Coverage is not as good. Girlfriend get 1-2 bars in my house, but we are always connect to Wifi, so it's not that big of a deal (I get 4-5 bars with Verizon in my house).
- Paying the ETF from Verizon which will be roughly ~$160

Any ways, I'm still uncertain. Need to figure it out soon though so I can ask for the day off on Friday if I decide to switch to Sprint.

Last edited:

ilongbored

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
This really is a tough decision. I'm on Sprint and my contract is up in October. Sprint's 3G speeds are TERRIBLE (Less than 500 Mbps at home and work near Dallas). Sprint's LTE markets aren't fully turned on. For example, Sprint's coverage map shows home and work covered by LTE but they actually haven't turned LTE on on my towers yet (Those liars!).

I decided to stick with Sprint to keep unlimited data and a better/cheaper monthly bill. The gamble I made is that I currently don't have LTE and Sprint hasn't given me a timeline when the Dallas market would be complete.

I personally believe that both AT&T and Verizon know that data demand is going to keep growing larger and larger, so they're making you pay for the data you use. I may be happy with 2GB/month today, but if I eventually get a fast LTE connection, streaming Pandora, Netflix, YouTube, 2GB will not cut it.

If you choose Sprint, remember you aren't guaranteed to have LTE in a couple months. Dallas was among the first launch cities and I still don't have LTE.

If you choose Verizon, you'll be very happy with your Voice/3G/LTE coverage, but you'll have your data limit and monthly bill to consider.

Best of luck.

ZDriver

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Why can't you just go to Verizon store Friday and pick one up??? I have been with Sprint for 11 years, I will miss the price but the service in my area sucks bad, and they are at least 1 year away from LTE (if they ever get it). Therefore I had to decide between Verizon and ATT, I chose Verizon based on LTE speeds and reception in my neck of the woods). See ya Sprint!

greasyg2006

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Why can't you just go to Verizon store Friday and pick one up??? I have been with Sprint for 11 years, I will miss the price but the service in my area sucks bad, and they are at least 1 year away from LTE (if they ever get it). Therefore I had to decide between Verizon and ATT, I chose Verizon based on LTE speeds and reception in my neck of the woods). See ya Sprint!

I will not be eligible for an upgrade on Friday with Verizon. I would have to wait until 10/15.

Not necessarily, you can start a new line with Sprint, and on the 15th of Oct when your contract with Verizon ends, just port your number over at that time.

Sorry, might not have been to clear on that. 10/15/12 is my early upgrade date, my contract doesn't end until 2/15/13. So I would still have to pay an ETF.

fresh618

May 31, 2012
Visit site
i ordered from sprint. i use a evo 4g now and get wimax everywere i go in Ny its going to suck to be on 3g untill lte arrives but hey i couldnt deal with android any longer..

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I had sprint for 8 years and switched back in 2007 to verizon. I considered switching back a few times since the rates are so much cheaper, but the service is just awful in comparison. In my office at work I had 2 people with sprint, they got no service. The other 3 had verizon and we would get 3-4 bars all the time.

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had Sprint for 10 years. I don't get LTE in rural Oklahoma though.. :( But none of the carriers offer it in my area either. So I don't have any reason to switch for now. I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 through Apple's site.

infty

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I have been with Sprint since 1998. I bought a iPhone 5 and stayed with Sprint because the fees are lower but mostly because of unlimited data. Sprint should have LTE 100 markets within a year and I can wait. I already use about 4 or 5 GB a month on Sprint with 3G, I will definitely be going over with LTE on verizon and AT&T.

RICO78jt

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Staying with SPRINT....

Unlimited Data!

Also do you guys think SPRINT will be the last carrier to sell out come release day at the Apple Store?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro