a few iPhone questions

dweb#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
1st question: it's about the phone activation.

1. you have to use iTunes to active your phone.

2. you don't need iTunes, you active your phone when you set up your phone.

2nd question:
1. what's the difference between setting up has a new phone and then restore app/music from a backup vs just restore from a backup to the new iPhone 5?

2. alos how do i get all my settings from my old iPhone to transfer over to my new iPhone?:confused:

sk8erdh36

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am guessing the first question you were trying to ask either 1 or 2. And the answer is 2.
And as far as second question. I always set up as new phone and add stuff to it. That way I don't have some of the "other" space on my phone that I get from doing it from a backup. And idk about transferring settings. I always take the time to do my settings with new phones so I can familiarize myself with the menu options.

Reactions: dweb#AC

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Yes, it is possible to activate from home by using iTunes.

You can also read this article on how to do it over Wifi.

2nd question:
1. what's the difference between setting up has a new phone and then restore app/music from a backup vs just restore from a backup to the new iPhone 5?

Setting up as new means you're doing just that. If you've never had an iPhone before, then that will be your only option. Restoring from backup would be used if you've got an iPhone now and you want to swap all your apps and contacts from one iPhone to another.

2. alos how do i get all my settings from my old iPhone to transfer over to my new iPhone?:confused:

Restore from backup.

asapp

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
transferring phone stuff

If you are an AT&T customer - you can text "transfer" to 6583 - a link for the app will be sent to you. You download the app and follow the instructions - give a passwork etc. Then when you get your new phone you do the same thing - text "transfer" to 6583, the app will be sent, then you put in your password and it will downloaded to your new phone. You have 7 days to do this in - from the time you do your 1st "transfer" to getting it on your new phone. After 7 days that file is deleted from their server.

ZDriver

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
If I have an iPad3 backed up to the cloud, can I use the same Apple ID for the iPhone and will all my contacts sync??? Please say yes as I have spent hours entering all my contacts from my Galaxy S2 in preparation for my new sweetness....

Thanks

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

2nd question:

Many people have already answered all your questions but I'll put the answers all in one post.

You don't have to use iTunes to activate your phone. You can now do it with iCloud but you must have Wifi. You will still need to activate your phone with the provider (Sprint, AT&T, Fido) with the SIM as that is a separate activation than the device itself.

Setting up the phone as new means it is a new device you will need to sync media back onto the device, add contacts, put in Wifi passwords.
Restoring from backup will restore everything you have been backing up media, contacts, messages, notes, pictures, wifi passwords etc. It is the same thing as restoring from iCloud. There are two methods of backing up, iTunes and iCloud so that is why when connected to iTunes it will ask if you would like to restore. Then if you're not connected to iTunes it will also ask if you want to restore from iCloud. So it just matters how your previous iPhone was being backed up? iTunes or iCloud

You get your settings from your old iPhone to the new iPhone by restoring from a backup. If you setup as a new iPhone you will need to do all your settings manually.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If I have an iPad3 backed up to the cloud, can I use the same Apple ID for the iPhone and will all my contacts sync??? Please say yes as I have spent hours entering all my contacts from my Galaxy S2 in preparation for my new sweetness....

Thanks

You can use the same Apple ID to backup as many devices as you want. They have different names and will have seperate backups. I am currently backing up my iPad, iPhone, wife's iPhone and our iPod under the same ID.
Your contacts will sync automatically if you enable contacts under iCloud. So the same contacts that are on your iPad will be on your iPhone.

ZDriver

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
You can use the same Apple ID to backup as many devices as you want. They have different names and will have seperate backups. I am currently backing up my iPad, iPhone, wife's iPhone and our iPod under the same ID.
Your contacts will sync automatically if you enable contacts under iCloud. So the same contacts that are on your iPad will be on your iPhone.

Perfect thanks a million

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Question: Seeing that you guys share one Apple ID for those devices, do you guys have separate iCloud accounts? I ask because I'm still a little confused about iCloud. Can two different iCloud accounts be tied to one Apple ID?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner