iPhone 4S vs. iPhone 5: Upgrade or not?

Arrongin

Banned
Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5 has become the focus of the whole world since its release. It is reported that it over 3 million people have ordered it.
There are top 5 reasons to upgrade to the new iPhone 5 in the air:
(1) 4-inch retina LCD
(2) LTE highp-speed network
(3) Faster A6 processor
(4) iOS 6
(5) New form factor, slightly thinner
If you have an iPhone 4S or an older apple phone, would you upgrade to the new phone 5? Why or why not?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If I could I would but I just got my 4s in June. So I will have to wait till at least the next iPhone. Which is cool I'm very happy with 4s but excited for those who can get the 5 now

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the 5 only for the 4G LTE. Verizon's 3G around here is horrible! I had the HTC Rezound on the 4g LTE and it was great!

Sent from my tricked out Iphone!

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I have no good reason to upgrade. The 4S had a better camera than the 4 and I used the hell out of it, but the 5's is practically the same. Faster processor, LTE, bigger screen, earpods, Lightning, HD FaceTime camera and stronger, thinner & lighter frame are all nice, but not essential, especially considering all the cases and other accessories I have. However, I have an upgradable line, and can pay for it by selling my old phone, so why not? This will be my 4th iPhone in 4 years.

sk8erdh36

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 has become the focus of the whole world since its release. It is reported that it over 3 million people have ordered it.
There are top 5 reasons to upgrade to the new iPhone 5 in the air:
(1) 4-inch retina LCD
(2) LTE highp-speed network
(3) Faster A6 processor
(4) iOS 6
(5) New form factor, slightly thinner
If you have an iPhone 4S or an older apple phone, would you upgrade to the new phone 5? Why or why not?

Well just so you know the 4s will have option 4. But having said that if you have an upgrade available I would upgrade. And then sell the 4s on eBay for $250-$300+ and pay yourself back. I have a 3 lines. One for me, one for my wife, and a 3rd one that has a dumb phone ($10/month) that I use to upgrade to new phones when my line is on cooldown.

justinverson

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Well...If I'm using iphone 4s. There is no reason for me to upgrade to iPhone 5. You may see. iPhone 5 does not have much change. So, don't waste your money.

GreatNeal

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Sell your iPhone4S.
Pay $50 more.
What's the fuss dudes?
Don't need a reason? Here's why.
You get to access the internet in 0.5sec instead of 3 secs which feels like a century.
You get to read stuff at a more legitimate size
and best of all. It will be. FASTER. For someone like me who hates to wait even 1 sec more. I will pay $500 to shave that 1 sec.

Last edited:

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I have no good reason to upgrade. The 4S had a better camera than the 4 and I used the hell out of it, but the 5's is practically the same. Faster processor, LTE, bigger screen, earpods, Lightning, HD FaceTime camera and stronger, thinner & lighter frame are all nice, but not essential, especially considering all the cases and other accessories I have. However, I have an upgradable line, and can pay for it by selling my old phone, so why not? This will be my 4th iPhone in 4 years.

Can someone explain what this means? You have another line that you can upgrade?

What am I missing? If you have multiple lines and one of them currently has an iphone on it. You get the new iphone on the upgradeable line? Why do you have an extra line? Are you just paying and extra $10/mo for this option? And extra $240 for each contract term? And will the carriers let you remove and iphone from your plan and allow you to drop to a $10/mo bill even if you are not through the 2 year cycle?

what am I missing?

jakeless.123

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded to the 5 from the 4S because:

Bigger and better screen
Better processor
Better cameras
The 5 look friggin' sexy!!

I would like to say I upgraded for LTE, and there is a small percentage of reason for that, but in my area all we have is HSPA+. I am selling my old phone and cash flowing the difference. I have no regrets. BTW, have you seen how sexy this itineration this iPhone will be?!?!? :D

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 4s in June. And though I have three upgrades available I am keeping my 4s. Getting a second 4s for hella cheap also!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Kazakaz

Dec 29, 2008
Visit site
Can someone explain what this means? You have another line that you can upgrade?

What am I missing? If you have multiple lines and one of them currently has an iphone on it. You get the new iphone on the upgradeable line? Why do you have an extra line? Are you just paying and extra $10/mo for this option? And extra $240 for each contract term? And will the carriers let you remove and iphone from your plan and allow you to drop to a $10/mo bill even if you are not through the 2 year cycle?

what am I missing?

He most likely has a family share plan with multiple lines on it. When one of the other lines are available upgrade, you can do an alternate upgrade, and upgrade a line that's not eligible. The line that was eligible will be locked into another 2 year agreement, and the line the iPhone went to will still keep its original upgrade date.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't even had my 4S for quite a year yet. No features from the 5 really stand out to me. I doubt I'd even like the bigger screen and paying retail is out of the question

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm upgrading for reasons 1-3, & 5 (4 is not a reason IMO since it is available and equal in the 4S). I don't have a problem buying a new iPhone once a year to enjoy Apple's latest & greatest, it's the device I have on me at all times and use all day long everyday.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

what am I missing?

I'm on a family plan with 4 lines, 2 of which are iPhones, 2 dumb phones. I get a new one every year and give my wife my old one, and sell hers. I got the 4S last year on my line, so this year I'm using her line to order, then swapping SIMs.

AT&T has a support page for getting an iPhone 5 on another line.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2