iPhone 5 > BlackBerry

number2448

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have used BlackBerry for years (and love it) but thought I needed to switch it up a bit and decided to get the iPhone 5.

I was just curious for those of you that went from using a BlackBerry to iPhone, did you have an issues adjusting?? My biggest concern is going from a physical keyboard to all touch screen!

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm basically in the same boat as you on this. I have had a BB for the past 5yrs (Curve, Bold, Torch). Did/Do I miss the physical keyboard when I went from the Bold to Torch, Absolutely. The screen touching is different on a Torch compared to an iPod (which I have). iPod (and iPad) is so much smoother and better than what my BB Torch does, with or without a screen protector on it.

I actually can't wait for Friday to pick up my new iPhone ( I was anti-Apple for a very long time and still kind of am). You should have no problem adjusting to the new phone.

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have had a BB for 5yrs now (Curve, Bold, Torch 9850) and don't think there should be a problem. I have an iPod when I had the Bold and thought the Torch would be a great upgrade, not a chance. Yes things were faster than before but the touch screen typing stinks compared to the ipod. With this, I wish I still had the keyboard on my BB until they it get more figured out. Knowing how the iPod screen works better than the BB, I have no worries on the upgrade.

The BB touch screen sucks when it got cold outside, I'm hoping the iPhone does better.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing the same. Using a Bold 9930 right now. Love the device, but no real apps, and it gets slow and crashes if I download too many things. BB10 is going to be an amazing success, but I'm switching to the iPhone5 for now! I have an iPod Touch and the keyboard is perfect for typing for me. I'm a bit faster and more accurate on my Bold, but the touchscreen is nothing I can't get used to and love.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I was just curious for those of you that went from using a BlackBerry to iPhone, did you have an issues adjusting?? My biggest concern is going from a physical keyboard to all touch screen!

when i went from my BB to the iPhone this was a HUGE issue for me. i felt i needed to feel the keys as i were typing. in fact i returned my iPhone (3G at the time) and went back to my BB Curve

about a week later i decided to give it a go again and glad i did. it took about a week before i completely adjusted. it did not take long before i could type one handed and barely looking (thanks to autocorrect)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Not gonna front here. I had a hard time adjusting to the keyboard coming from a BB. Especially coming
from a Bold 9000 keyboard which was the best physical keyboard I've ever used on a smartphone, ever. It
was a drawback for me. But whatever. Got used to the virtual keyboard and don't really have many issues.

mountainman

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I went from BB Bold 9650 to the iPhone 4 - took a little adjustment period. You'll be fine. Welcome to the party.... And welcome to the apps!

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have used BlackBerry for years (and love it) but thought I needed to switch it up a bit and decided to get the iPhone 5.

You will never, ever return to a BlackBerry after having an iPhone.

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I used to be a loyal Blackberry user. The only adjustment that was a bit tough was typing. But as you do with any new device, you get used to it :)

stillzmatik

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm switching from the BlackBerry 9900, which in my opinion, is my favorite phone of all time. I'm not switching because I love Apple (even tho I have a macbook and ipad). I'm simply bored with my 9900. I can't wait for BlackBerry 10 so I figured I'd try out the i5 while I wait. We'll see. Maybe I will fall in love with it.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm switching from the BlackBerry 9900, which in my opinion, is my favorite phone of all time. I'm not switching because I love Apple (even tho I have a macbook and ipad). I'm simply bored with my 9900. I can't wait for BlackBerry 10 so I figured I'd try out the i5 while I wait. We'll see. Maybe I will fall in love with it.

I'm in the same exact boat haha. Down to the letter except that I have a 9930 (CDMA version)

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Nope. I went from a series of awful Curves to a Storm2 to an iPhone and haven't had the slightest bit of problems adjusting. I had more problems going from my Storm2 with SurePress to the iPhone without SP.

It'll take a little bit of time to get used to typing on a v-keyboard rather than a physical, but I prefer v-keyboards over the tiny BB KB any day.

The one thing that did surprise me was the way the apps kept getting updated on iPhone and the iOS getting updated as well. In the years I owned my Curves I got one BBOS update. Never got anything for the Storm2. With apps, same thing.

The BB touch screen sucks when it got cold outside, I'm hoping the iPhone does better.

I've used my iPhone in 10 degree weather without a problem. it sucks having to take my gloves off to type.

You will never, ever return to a BlackBerry after having an iPhone.

+1

Last edited:

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I'll echo the general sentiment here - long time crackberry abuser (curve, Bold 9000 - LOVED that keyboard and then a bold 96xx afterwards). Getting used to a virtual keyboard is a little adjustment but I'm just as fast if not more so, love autocorrect and will never regret moving to an iPhone years ago. The first time you use a real browser, it'll blow your mind. :D

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm not even bothering with BB10. I do think it has a lot of potential, but the ecosystem simply won't be there (and that will likely be the case for months, if not years). So no matter how cool it may be, it's pointless to own for me.

number2448

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies! I am definitely excited to give it a go. I feel like BB10 will have some potential but I think it will be YEARS before it's out. :)

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Had a torch 9800 then switched when my daughter upgraded from a 3GS to the 4. I took her old phone and never went back to blackberry. It took me a week to get used to the touch screen typing but after that I was fine. I recently upgraded to the iP4s and think it was the best move for me- no regrets! OS6 runs like a charm 😊

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I also was a bb user for 4+yrs before switching to my 4S last Nov2011. Since then I seriously have not looked back or regretted my choice in any way. I didn't miss my bb, and as for typing on the 4S screen, I guess because I use my iPad 1 ALOT I didn't have an adjustment period on my iPhone. I was able to type without any issue honestly.

:) good luck with the switch, and enjoy it!!!

flyersfan76

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Making the switch from a Bold 9930. I will probably miss the keyboard in the beginning but NOT having the keyboard would definitely limit my use at traffic lights.

Typing long emails while at home or out and about and that other unmentionable place :) might not happen but like others have said everything takes a little adjusting.

With that said I have users that want an iPhone and need to learn it before I letting them get it :).

I really expect BB10 to be great and wouldn't mind jumping back to that camp so I am keeping an open mind but the iPhone is the only other phone/OS that interested me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh