When should I get in line?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
There's already a line at the Apple stores near me. Brave people, especially seeing as it's gonna be 48 tonight for a low. I'm not that hard core.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Interesting, and good to note.

Last year was my first iPhone (Sprint customer for years) so paranoia propelled me to get in line at about 3am the morning of.

I was approximately the 3rd person in line at that point but interestingly enough, the line only grew to about 20 by the time the store opened. In fact, I called my girlfriend who'd had a late night prior at about 7am to tell her the line wasn't long if she wanted to come down and just pick one up. Sure enough, she shows up about 7:30am and walked out of the store maybe 30 minutes later with her first iPhone.

The few of us who arrived extremely early were pretty confused by the seeming lack of interest or frenzy surrounding the release of the first iPhone on the Sprint Network...in retrospect, it was likely that the VAST majority of iPhone buyers just elected to skip the line and preorder. It's good to know that the stock on hand in the store is "first come, first serve" so my early spot in the line will almost surely guarantee my phone on Friday morning! Thanks for the info!

Oh, and BTW, the story refers to the main Sprint store in Eugene, OR if anyone reading is in the area and was curious as to the possible demand around here!

The incremental updates are never as popular as the revamps. The iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S launches were very tame compared to the first gen, 3G, and 4. I expect the iPhone 5 will draw much more attention and demand than the iterative every other year updates do.

They used to allow you to pre-order for in-store pickup but they stopped doing that. So anyone going to a store has the same shot. Apple stores are always the best bet as they are always stocked much better than the carrier stores. The Apple Store we typically go to gets shipments throughout the day to accomodate the rush. Carrier stores typically don't, when they're out, they're out until another shipment sometimes weeks later. Our local AT&T store only got 12 iPhone 4's, about the same with the 4S and then had a reserve list for about a month after that.

In short, go to an Apple store if you have one close enough.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
just like my post stated, I'm downtown Chicago! I know it'll be complete madness but I'm giving the AT&T store a try at about 6am or 6:30am.

Let me know if that's too early (or even late) lol

I'll be at the Woodfield Apple Store if you're willing to venture out to Schaumburg... with some iMore gear to give out of course :)

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Serious Question.
Why?
Why did you people not preorder early Sept 14th?
Are you not wanting to use a credit card?
Is this some sort of weird thing you enjoy doing?

I'm being serious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have you never been to an Apple product launch? They're a good time.

Don't knock it til you've tried it.

guinnkevinr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I was in line at 2AM when the iPhone 3G came out, 5AM for the 3GS, 3am for the i4 and 5AM for the iPad 2. Each time I got one on launch day. So just pick a place you know is normally slow and go sometime between 3-5AM to line up.

snuffleupagus99

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
With so many bought in the first 24 hours, how likely is it that friday is going to be even more insane than previous releases? I actually wanted to get in line on launch day but the wife's response to "you take care of the newborn, I'm going to go hang out at the apple store" was exactly what you can imagine lol

flyersfan76

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm driving out the from Lakeland, closest one to me. 45 minute drive.

Ick. (I used to live in Plant City :))

Looks like there is one in Brandon and one at International Mall, so Tampa might not be too terrible.

There is also one in Florida Mall and one in Millenia in Orlando. So maybe the Orlando people will stay over there and you might be okay with Brandon.

Good luck!

I have been to both places.

No Apple store in Lakeland? Hmmm I was just about to make the recommendation to go to Lakeland. lol

metroidmen

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been to both places.

No Apple store in Lakeland? Hmmm I was just about to make the recommendation to go to Lakeland. lol

Nope, Brandon is closest, with Tampa and Orlando following it. I'm going to get there at 6pm, walk in and ask where the line is. :) I'll wing it from there.

heberman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to show up late morning or early afternoon. If they run out of phones by the time I get there, I'll just wait until they are back in stock.

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Since I was having issues trying use get my work line upgraded to the iphone5, I had to go a different route (very long story). I thought about just getting in line at the store on Friday but then at last minute decided to preorder. Then I talk to a store rep and he said he will put my name on 1 if I pick it up in the morning when they open. Thankfully customer support cancelled my online order (ordered maybe 20minutes earlier) and confirmed with store rep to pick it up Friday.

I'm moving from a Blackberry Torch 9850 to an iPhone...That is hard to say as I love BB business side of things, but like what the iphone can do better.

Bobbymoon

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I will be at the Apple store in Rancho Cucamonga CA. They allowed you to line up about 6 in the morning. I was able to get the iPhone 4S no problem.

I called and spoke with them this morning, they pretty much confirmed what you said. Victoria Gardens won't allow overnight camping and they should let people start lining up around 5-6. I plan to call back later in the week to confirm. I am aiming to be there closer to 4, fingers crossed.

jeffnucci

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to the Southcenter Apple Store in Tukwila, WA at 3:30am. I went there at 5am for the iPhone 4 launch and walked in and out when it opened at 7. That was of course when you could reserve a phone though. I'm nervous for Friday, I must have the 5 NOW. I love Apple lines though. Lots of fun.

Lynx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have never waited in line for an Apple product launch, but I have camped out in front of Best Buy for the Xbox 360 launch. I went with 2 other co-workers and oh man it was a blast. We had people bringing us drinks. One guy had a generator, TV, and original Xbox and people were playing Halo. It was so much fun, the only downside was it was November in Ohio and it got cold.

alex.shimp

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
When the 4 came out, I per-ordered for in store pickup, and showed up about 9pm the night before at the Apple Store in International Plaza here in Tampa. I was about 20th or so in line. But about midnight, the mall security split the line up at the end of the side walk by rob & stucky By the time they let people in the line was wrapped all the way around the other side and into another parking lot. Those of us that per-ordered were let in about 20 at a time as apposed to the walk ups that were let in about 1-5 for every twenty per-order's.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2