When should I get in line?

ALborntoride

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna brave the Verizon store this Friday...probably get there around 5 or 6am...talked to a employee today and he said they would have plenty of stock even said i could come later on in the morning and pick one up...so he says anyway...but i live in a small town so i'm hoping there won't be much of a line.:cool:

Crayolaboi

May 25, 2010
Visit site
To save money I'm getting mine at Target. (I have about 20% off worth of discounts) I couldn't pre-order due to the fact they didn't have the 64gb available to do so. So like the 4S I have to hope that Target mobile(RadioShack) has a few like last year. I got one of I believe three they had. I still haven't decided on a color yet. I've had a white 4 and 4S but I think the black looks sick with the dark antenna.

johnrhodes

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I was at the Apple store the other day and they said Tim Cook is a GENIUS with getting plenty in stock vs. Steve Jobs who liked it to be hard to get one so hopefully they'll have enough :)

Drummertist

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
9am

I'll be at the southpoint mall apple store in Durham, nc at 9pm. Seems like a good time to me. Never done this before either. Can't wait. I'll prolly end up all alone in the dark, get mugged etc. lol. Gotta have an iPhone 5.

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Just be thankful you dont live in miami like i do i didnt even bother going because people were camped out, outside of the Apple store's in Lincoln road and Aventura mall days before.... smh you should be fine but just in case wear a fake apple store employee shirt and then just cut to the front of the line >:)

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
On the launch of the iPhone 4 (and probably 4S) Apple had a limited quantity of iPhones for sale on the launch day for customers who didn't pre-order. There were two lines: one for people who pre-ordered and thus were guaranteed an iPhone that day, and a second line for customers who didn't pre-order and were taking their chances. That second line was CRAWLING. I think the Apple Store was taking five pre-order customers and then one non-preorder customer. Honestly, it could have even been ten to one. I just remember seeing that other line at a near standstill all morning.

I would really discourage anyone who didn't pre-order an iPhone 5 from even trying to get one on Friday. Or maybe your odds will at least be better at a store like AT&T or Sprint rather than Apple since most people will think of going to Apple first?

If you do try to get one on launch day without pre-ordering, make sure you bring something to do while in line. Heck, bring food too. And bring hours worth of patience. It's going to be a zoo.

The iPhone 4 was the last iPhone that was available for in-store pickup for pre-order. You can not preorder for in store pickup anymore. Everyone waiting in line will have the same shot. No two lines anymore. If you pre-ordered, your ONLY option was shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

metroidmen

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm planning on getting there probably about 6pm the night before. Here's hoping that's good. :) Like I said, my main concern is my ipad and iphones battery dying... Sure there are wall sockets nearby but think how many people will flock to those.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Probably will show up around 10-11pm. I will be at the Woodfield Mall Apple Store in Schaumburg IL (with imore tshirts!) :)

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 4 was the last iPhone that was available for in-store pickup for pre-order. You can not preorder for in store pickup anymore. Everyone waiting in line will have the same shot. No two lines anymore. If you pre-ordered, your ONLY option was shipping.

Interesting, and good to note.

Last year was my first iPhone (Sprint customer for years) so paranoia propelled me to get in line at about 3am the morning of.

I was approximately the 3rd person in line at that point but interestingly enough, the line only grew to about 20 by the time the store opened. In fact, I called my girlfriend who'd had a late night prior at about 7am to tell her the line wasn't long if she wanted to come down and just pick one up. Sure enough, she shows up about 7:30am and walked out of the store maybe 30 minutes later with her first iPhone.

The few of us who arrived extremely early were pretty confused by the seeming lack of interest or frenzy surrounding the release of the first iPhone on the Sprint Network...in retrospect, it was likely that the VAST majority of iPhone buyers just elected to skip the line and preorder. It's good to know that the stock on hand in the store is "first come, first serve" so my early spot in the line will almost surely guarantee my phone on Friday morning! Thanks for the info!

Oh, and BTW, the story refers to the main Sprint store in Eugene, OR if anyone reading is in the area and was curious as to the possible demand around here!

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
just like my post stated, I'm downtown Chicago! I know it'll be complete madness but I'm giving the AT&T store a try at about 6am or 6:30am.

Let me know if that's too early (or even late) lol

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm completely clueless as to when to show up...

I waited in line for the iPad 2 but that was atypical because Apple wouldn't sell them til 5pm...so I was in line from 6am til 5pm (this was in the main San Francisco store). Then, for the "new" iPad, I tried the Berkeley store (had class later in the morning so I couldn't go to SF); I got there around 5am and there was essentially no line at all...nor would there be when I left.

But, I'm thinking iPhones will be different than iPads since they're way more widespread and in demand. I want to go to the SF store just because it's more of an experience...but I know the line's gonna be way worse. Just don't have any idea when to get there. I was thinking somewhere around 2 or 3am? Anyone who has waited at a large Apple Store for a recent iPhone launch have any advice??

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
just like my post stated, I'm downtown Chicago! I know it'll be complete madness but I'm giving the AT&T store a try at about 6am or 6:30am.

Let me know if that's too early (or even late) lol

I lined up at Old Orchard Mall at about 330am when I got iPhone 4. It's safer because they have Police in the lots and walking around the mall. The way things have been going in the city. I wouldn't wait outside a store in the city. Not even Lincoln Park Apple store, its 5 blocks away from where projects where. Do a Suburb Apple Store....

jamesdean74

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the Brandon store, make sure you call the Apple store to find out when the mall lets you form a line. I was there for the iPhone 4 release and got there about 4 am and security wouldn't let people form a line until 6 or 7 am, so you had everybody in their cars until they gave the ok and it was hundreds of people dashing for the door, I was about number 80 in line and waited until 6pm that evening to get my phone, it was a clusterf**k.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyone waiting at the Apple Store in Richmond VA? I'm going to AT&T because I know apple will be pandemonium. :D

I'll be going to the Apple store in Norfolk at MacArthur after mine comes in, just to see the line and get Ghost Armor lol.

Sent from my i4 using Tapatalk

metroidmen

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the Brandon store, make sure you call the Apple store to find out when the mall lets you form a line. I was there for the iPhone 4 release and got there about 4 am and security wouldn't let people form a line until 6 or 7 am, so you had everybody in their cars until they gave the ok and it was hundreds of people dashing for the door, I was about number 80 in line and waited until 6pm that evening to get my phone, it was a clusterf**k.
Dang, that's concerning. I have a motorcycle, so I can park up on the sidewalk in be close at least. :)

Unreal.images

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I will be at the Apple store in Rancho Cucamonga CA. They allowed you to line up about 6 in the morning. I was able to get the iPhone 4S no problem.

rew001

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Serious Question.
Why?
Why did you people not preorder early Sept 14th?
Are you not wanting to use a credit card?
Is this some sort of weird thing you enjoy doing?

I'm being serious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtmjr90

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Serious Question.
Why?
Why did you people not preorder early Sept 14th?
Are you not wanting to use a credit card?
Is this some sort of weird thing you enjoy doing?

I'm being serious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was going to but I wanted unlocked, off-contract...which apparently you can't preorder. So I thought about it and decided (yesterday) to buy the AT&T one on contract and just pay the ETF in three months and have them unlock it. It's also a happy coincidence that I happen to have work off on Friday:)