iPhone vs. Galaxy SIII

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The hearing on banning the devices is scheduled for Dec 6. Apple tried to move it up, but the judge refused... so at this point nothing has been banned, and nothing will be pulled from the shelves until (1) the hearing is completed, (2) Apple wins an injunction and (3) Apple posts the required bond with the court to enforce the ban. There's a ways to go on this one...

And that doesn't even consider the almost certain appeals on Samsung's behalf.

My question is: What happened to Samsung's threat to sue Apple for LTE patent infringement "as soon as they announce the iPhone 5"? BS, or is it in the works? I've heard nothing about any suit actually being filed.

Yeah I wonder how long it took for Apple to get that ban on the Nexus a couple months ago. You gotta think they have a little more fire power after winning this case. But I agree, we're talking sometime 2013 before anything significant happens.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter anyhow, Samsung will appeal and not have to pay the $1B when all is said and done. The bigger issue is if the patents are actually valid, which the jury was specifically told to ignore.

Validity of the patents is what Samsung was trying to argue throughout the case but that's not what the trial was about. That's a totally different argument for a different group of people to decide. Samsung argued this to no avail. And the patent system probable does needs improvement but it is what it is. That's like someone breaking the law because they say the legal system is messed up. Instead of fighting it the right way, you make it worst for yourself. And I really don't care about this patent stuff but right now as it is, if someone owns a patent you have to license it. You can't side step it and then try to say "they shouldn't have the patent anyway". Well they do and that's the issue at hand. And that's what Samsung did. Again, not that I agree with all this stuff, but there's a correct way to go about things. Wait til Microsoft really start suing people. These companies are not going to have money to fight both Microsoft and Apple at the same time so they might as well just license until the system is improved.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That is my other concern! I feel like MS is the sleeping giant. Everyone's eyes are on Samsung and Android and no one is paying attention to MS.

This new Nokia 920 looks to be a real impressive device.

But only time will tell.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
That is my other concern! I feel like MS is the sleeping giant. Everyone's eyes are on Samsung and Android and no one is paying attention to MS.

But only time will tell.

Yeah many of the companies license patents from Microsoft (including Apple) so if they start trying to side step MS then it's going to get even worst for them if they are already involved in a patent mess.

independentvolume

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

But only time will tell.

Actually Microsoft makes money off of every Android phone sold already. I think it's 12 bucks per device or something like that.

independentvolume

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah many of the companies license patents from Microsoft (including Apple) so if they start trying to side step MS then it's going to get even worst for them if they are already involved in a patent mess.

Yep. In fact, I'm pretty sure Microsoft makes 12 dollars off of every Android device.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so you've seen the appeal arguments from Samsung? You have zero clue what you're talking about.

I have zero clue what I'm talking about? Ok sweetheart...

Samsung, Nike, InBev, Apple, Warhol: Intellectual Propert - Businessweek
Samsung Won't Have to Pay Apple $1bn Until 2013 - CIO India News on | CIO.in
Samsung Appeal May Take Several Tacks - WSJ.com
Apple injunction hearing against Samsung phones set for Dec. 6 | Apple - CNET News

...I've been watching this entire situation like a hawk as i own some apple stock and want to stay on top of any major trends. Believe it or not, most of this stuff get's talked about just about every day on the stock planning forums (especially on Reddit, where the subject is a daily source of laughs from the less PC traders on there).

Also, F' off kiddo.

Last edited:

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't even know why they should bother applying the ban again... We all know by the time they will be able to ban it, the GSIII will already be reaching the end of its life cycle just like the Nexus... Perhaps NOT according to the carriers of course, but certainly according to Samsung's "four high end devices a year" market... The Note 2 will out, the new Nexus will out, and everybody will forget about the GSIII just like they did with the GSII - all said former versions are like 30$ on a data contract now, after not even a year's release. By that time, Google will probably release a new Android version and what we'll learn is that the GSIII is not compatible anyway... No worry, they'll announce the GSIV, all will be well... Every Android user will be happy, even if the GSIV is not compatible neither with that newest hot version of Android.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have zero clue what I'm talking about? Ok sweetheart...

Samsung, Nike, InBev, Apple, Warhol: Intellectual Propert - Businessweek

Samsung Won't Have to Pay Apple $1bn Until 2013 - CIO India News on | CIO.in

Samsung Appeal May Take Several Tacks - WSJ.com

Apple injunction hearing against Samsung phones set for Dec. 6 | Apple - CNET News

...I've been watching this entire situation like a hawk as i own some apple stock and want to stay on top of any major trends. Believe it or not, most of this stuff get's talked about just about every day on the stock planning forums (especially on Reddit, where the subject is a daily source of laughs from the less PC traders on there).

Also, F' off kiddo.

Because any of those know what the appeal is going to look like. They don't and neither do you.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So i know that Samsung lost the patent lawsuit against Apple and was wondering why?

Is their software identical to iOS? Or was this a pure design of the product issue?

I just find it hard to believe that anyone would mistake a Galaxy SIII for an iPhone..

I mean the build quality alone is sub par to Apple.

I just don't think it was necessary for Apple to sue Samsung. Is Apple really threatened by Samsung.. I would think not...
Their lawsuits didn't involve the GSIII. It mainly involved the International Galaxy S, as well as various software implementations such as bounceback and staggering UI similarities.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You take it personally like you know anything about it...how much money do you have riding on the outcome of this situation? I thought so...

I'm sick of blow hard apple sheep that pretend to know everything about everything. My only interest in the case is seeing justice served properly. We should have a choice and all Apple does is try to eliminate the choice. It's apparent in everything they do. It's Apple's way or the highway. You're such a sucker - Apple continues to charge way more than they should, you pay it and the rich get richer. How is that ok for Apple but not for ExxonMobil or Bank of America? When they make profits people want to lynch someone.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't even know why they should bother applying the ban again... We all know by the time they will be able to ban it, the GSIII will already be reaching the end of its life cycle just like the Nexus... Perhaps NOT according to the carriers of course, but certainly according to Samsung's "four high end devices a year" market... The Note 2 will out, the new Nexus will out, and everybody will forget about the GSIII just like they did with the GSII - all said former versions are like 30$ on a data contract now, after not even a year's release. By that time, Google will probably release a new Android version and what we'll learn is that the GSIII is not compatible anyway... No worry, they'll announce the GSIV, all will be well... Every Android user will be happy, even if the GSIV is not compatible neither with that newest hot version of Android.

Ya, they already said that Samsung will announce the S4 in February at Mobile World Congress....

The life expectancy on these things is ridiculousness.

But really at the end of the day they pretty much all do the same thing.

Email, calls, text, games, voice chat etc...

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
kjjb0204 vs SeanHRCC

Popcorn-15-Scary-Movie.gif

TonyG916

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
as an owner of an ipad and samsung gs3, I have to say these patent wars are only going to hurt the consumer. I prefer android over ios overall, but apple makes a better tablet at the moment. the GS3 is such an amazing device that I suggest you check it out before purchasing the iphone5. once GS3 is updated to jelly bean it will include google now which has a slightly better voice search compared to siri. just my dos centavos.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
as an owner of an ipad and samsung gs3, I have to say these patent wars are only going to hurt the consumer. I prefer android over ios overall, but apple makes a better tablet at the moment. the GS3 is such an amazing device that I suggest you check it out before purchasing the iphone5. once GS3 is updated to jelly bean it will include google now which has a slightly better voice search compared to siri. just my dos centavos.

I just wish iOS had a file manager type app.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm sick of blow hard apple sheep that pretend to know everything about everything.

I'm sick to death of blowhards like you that say crap like this.

You want choice?? The choice you appear to advocate is Apple vs something someone copied from Apple. How 'bout the people with the copy machine do their own work, and offer up a real choice?

TonyG916

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
tvs look the same, operate the same...cars look the same, operate the same (with some design changes on the exterior...like samsung v apple). I have never in my life confused an apple product with a samsung product.

My gut tells me apple sans steve jobs are on a downward slope of innovation. they can no longer compete with google/android anymore so they're collecting patents as sort of a pension for their future.

it doesn't matter...buy what you want, enjoy it. they're making money while you spend money (unless you're an app developer)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Looks like some "genius" in the Samsung marketing department screwed up. The SamsungMobileUSA Facebook page asked the question: "If you could only take one electronic device on to a deserted island, what would it be?" ... interesting response:

iphonesamsung.jpg

Looks like everyone wants an iPhone.

Samsung can?t catch a break. Samsung Mobile USA posted the following question on their Facebook page ? ?If you could only take one electronic device on a deserted island, what would it be??
They probably figured fans would respond that they would totally take their Galaxy S3 or some other Samsung device that no one cares about. But when you?re on a fantasy island, you probably want the best phone possible, right?
So rather than receiving a mob of responses declaring their desire to never be parted with their Galaxy S3, a lot of people just said that they wanted an iPhone 5. Or an electric boat.
Sorry, Samsung. Maybe people will actually want the S4?

Read more at Samsung Learns The Hard Way That Everyone Wants An iPhone 5 [Image] | Cult of Mac

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2