Still flabbergasted that the called it the iPhone 5

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't give two sh*ts what they call it. When Apple puts out a phone I will 99.9% of the time want the phone no matter what the name or model number(?) is. ;)

Then again there are people who are obsessed with these pointless things.

A rose by any other name...

DKP89

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Think they should've went with iPhone 6 too, especially since during the iPhone 4 presentation Steve Jobs said that they were calling it the iPhone 4 because its was the fourth generation iPhone this is an about face of that simple conclusion. I think it's just one of those little things that cause certain people anxiety about the direction of Apple under Tim Cooks leadership. This is by no means a tragedy of any sort it just shows a shift away from what 'Apple' has said before. Either way whether they're calling it 5, 6, 7 or 4 again it'll sell millions

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Everyone chill out. The guy expresses frustration over the name of the device and everyone gets on him about it. He can't help it that his life is so boring he has nothing else in the world to worry about except what they call the phone. Cut this bonehead a break...sheesh

Sloppyjm

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why it's bothering me but iPhone 5? Really? All signs point to 6. It's the 6th Generation AND follow the cycle

iPhone (1)
3G (2)
3GS (3)
4 (4!!!!)
4S (5)
5? (6)

Either way, I can't wait to receive it!!!

Did anyone see the last episode of weeds with the holographic iPhones ?

Vanti

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
it seems that you dont understand apples motto of " makings things easier " " making our lives easier "
" SIMPLICITY "
My fellow apple enthusiast the number four comes after five and the last iphone had a four in its name. it doesn't get simplier than that

jcdaniels

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
it seems that you dont understand apples motto of " makings things easier " " making our lives easier "
" SIMPLICITY "
My fellow apple enthusiast the number four comes after five and the last iphone had a four in its name. it doesn't get simplier than that

Last time I checked the number 5 came after 4! Haha

But seriously people who think 3G was a number and not the Radio it ran on are the ones who are wrong. Steve would've called it 6.

Mama call him Cassius , I'mma call him Cassius....haha

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
" SIMPLICITY "

Which is saying much about what YOU don't understand... :rolleyes:

sk8er_tor

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Lack of NFC should bother you. A new connector should bother you. Non removable battery. No SD card, and so on. But it's thinner.... That's so magical.

The name should be the least of your worries.

Last edited:

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why it's bothering me but iPhone 5? Really? All signs point to 6. It's the 6th Generation AND follow the cycle

iPhone (1)
3G (2)
3GS (3)
4 (4!!!!)
4S (5)
5? (6)

Either way, I can't wait to receive it!!!
I figured that they would have simply called it "the new iPhone".

j_benj

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If you want to have a more logical debate about the naming and what it should be called besides iPhone 5, I submit this :

iPhone (1)
iPhone 3G (2)
iPhone 3GS (3)
iPhone 4 (4)
iPhone 4S (5)
iPhone LTE (6)

They named the iPhone2 after the 3G upgrade, why not name this one iPhone LTE? :)

Disclaimer : I'm totally fine with the iPhone5 name. Just posting this as a rebuttal idea for an alternate name that would make more sense than iPhone6 skipping over 5.

bobthedino

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Think they should've went with iPhone 6 too, especially since during the iPhone 4 presentation Steve Jobs said that they were calling it the iPhone 4 because its was the fourth generation iPhone this is an about face of that simple conclusion

I was surprised by this, so I went and checked. Jobs said "today we're introducing iPhone 4, the fourth generation iPhone". I don't think this means that it's called the iPhone 4 just because it's the fourth generation, I think it's just a happy coincidence. I think the main reason it's called iPhone 4 is that it came after the iPhone 3GS, and they wanted to emphasise that it was a completely new phone, and 4 happens to be the next number up from 3. And I think the iPhone 5 is the same, 5 is the next number up from the 4 in the name of the iPhone 4S.

TiffyBeBadd

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well we can look forward to the 5S arounf thsi time next year... its in sync with the number prior. I dont get why calling it the 5 is weird. Had they went to 6 people would be asking what happened to 5. Apple knows what they are doing for the most part....

ShesMixed

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why grown people lose sleep over the name of a new device BUT .. maybe it's just me. Almost everyone calls the new iPad the iPad 3 because it's very confusing for regular people I guess that's the reason why apple called it the 5, i'm glad they did ..

nate8it

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I understand that what they call it is not a big deal. What I think is funny is that before it was announced, in every article I read where it was referred to as iphone 5 (the logical next step for most, including rumor publishers), some ppl (Im guessing the thread author included) would comment about how they didnt understand why people kept calling it iphone 5! They swore that there was no way in hell Apple would ever call it that. Level headed people said who cares, no one knows, just wait and see. But they were so insistent upon it being called any thing but...... what it is..... the iPhone 5. That is why he is still crying. and I am chuckling.:)

Sandman619

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
It's just a name. It was too cumbersome for Apple to go by generation, since it's not always obvious. So the number is just to differentiate from the previous models. Apple will not be dropping the number scheme on the iPhone, because they need to differentiate the 3 models currently on sale. Otherwise, customers would get confused as to why 1 iPhone is free, another at a discount & the 3rd is full price

Cheers !

kayno

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Why does this bother people so much? The Grand Theft Auto video game series has crazy numbers too. Grand Theft Auto 5 which comes out next year is the 15th entry in the GTA universe.

lol.. I understand where he's coming from. I also think its stupid that it was called the 5. I was so convinced it would be called the 6. But what I believe is Apple realized the value consumers put on the number cause apparently people don't realize the name is just a name and doesn't add anything to the device. Just like with the 4S, The 4S was the iPhone 5, the 5th Gen iPhone but consumers felt that since it wasn't called the iPhone 5 it was the iPhone 4.5. So apple paid attention this time, they saw that consumers, blogs, news outlets were all screaming for an iPhone 5 so they said, you know what? lets give them what they want, and they did. I personally think they should have gone with 6. but its all a marketing game and it worked. 2 million preorders in the first day later........