I hope this is not off-topic if so I apologize, but it seemed "general" for the iPhone and I can't find anything about it anywhere!

If I go out of the country - and a friend sends me a text message from the US - do they inadvertently get charged additional because I am out of the country, or no extra charges since I am a US/AT&T cell phone number?

I understand all the international fees associated with MY phone, just wondering if friends will be hit with extra charges.

Thanks!
    09-17-2012 06:27 AM
    I think it has more to do with your phone number than your being in another country physically...as far as i know, there is no extra charge for texting a number that is US based, even if that person is in another country...the extra charges come in when texting a person with a phone number from another country.

That's how it used to be anyways, it could have very easily changed now...the best thing for you to do is call AT&T and ask them directly, because if they tell you there's no charge, and you get the information of the person you speak to, if there's problems in the future, you can reference that and have a basis for reversal...just asking here, we can tell you whatever we THINK is right, but that doesn't give you any ammo in case we are wrong and you want to try and fight it.
    09-17-2012 07:33 AM
    Thanks, it's what I thought too and good advice!
    09-17-2012 07:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD