iPhone 5 proven fastest on the market?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to see a comparison between the computational power of the iPhone5 vs. The computers used to put men on the moon.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see a comparison between the computational power of the iPhone5 vs. The computers used to put men on the moon.

There's more power in a smart tv chip than there was in the computers on the Apollo missions. The iPhone chips are more advanced than anything we have seen in space.

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Id rather see speed tests for the networks rather than actual hardware. I hate comparing apple to android because i dont think android is as customized for the hardware like apple does with iphone.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Id rather see speed tests for the networks rather than actual hardware. I hate comparing apple to android because i dont think android is as customized for the hardware like apple does with iphone.

Testing the network is for choosing between AT&T, VZW or Sprint. If Androids are not optimized, then that's a reason not to choose Android. This is exactly why Apple fanboys say that specs don't matter, performance does. If you have a hotrod with the world's most powerful engine that's not tuned properly and a flat tire, you're not gonna win races. Testing hardware is exactly what needs to be done.

GreatNeal

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Testing the network is for choosing between AT&T, VZW or Sprint. If Androids are not optimized, then that's a reason not to choose Android. This is exactly why Apple fanboys say that specs don't matter, performance does. If you have a hotrod with the world's most powerful engine that's not tuned properly and a flat tire, you're not gonna win races. Testing hardware is exactly what needs to be done.

A direct stab at Right in the hearts of the android fan base!
Sure they will argue ****s like its okay it's the norm. We can't expect perfection can we ?
Then we will show them what perfection is.
Double kill! :p

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5 seems to be extremely well engineered. The fact that it is thinner, maybe fastest on the market, has more battery, has a faster cell network, has new technology for touch, and has extra microphones for better speech recognition seems to defy basic engineering principles of trade-off.

Yet the end product integrates all these competing requirements into such an elegant design the press seems to think nothing has changed. I think the press would be happier if the existing iPhone 5 had a power brick, NFC box, and wireless charging device hanging off the phone to advertise that they are present.

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 5 seems to be extremely well engineered. The fact that it is thinner, maybe fastest on the market, has more battery, has a faster cell network, has new technology for touch, and has extra microphones for better speech recognition seems to defy basic engineering principles of trade-off.

Yet the end product integrates all these competing requirements into such an elegant design the press seems to think nothing has changed. I think the press would be happier if the existing iPhone 5 had a power brick, NFC box, and wireless charging device hanging off the phone to advertise that they are present.

Interesting take. I was underwhelmed initially but am warming to the idea. I'm not in a rush to upgrade early. Lets see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's going to be fast we know that. What I am curious of is how the battery life is with the new speed. Every new flagship phone should be faster than anything currently on the market. If it isn't the fastest then I would be surprised.

Big Dookie

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, I think it's a little surprising in the sense that many in the Android community still felt that its hardware wasn't up to par with devices like the Galaxy S3 or the Nexus 7. This proves that Apple is pushing the hardware envelope as much as anyone, all while still retaining a great looking design.

As for battery life, Apple is usually pretty honest and spot on about what we'll end up getting, so I'm not too worried there.

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Actually I meant more along the lines of testing the lte of the phones on the same network. I'd like to see how the iPhone 5 compares to the sg3 with a network rest on att or Verizon. I know the iPhone 5 is faster. That's why I'm switching to apple. I just want to see who makes the better radio.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Daniel.Jones

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Continuing on the engineering elegance idea, IMHO it shows Apple really understands their phones will only be popular if users love them, not from specs. Others want to be able to advertise the latest multi core (dual, quad, whatever) at high clock speeds. Apple has consciously given up the ability to make that claim by developing their own internal SoC and not advertising specs.

Designing their own SoC also allowed them to engineer much better memory bandwidth (among other things), which the typical user doesn't even know about but in fact it's a greater contributor to performance, possibly, than CPU! Anandtech says: "Some of the largest performance improvements .... appear here in the memory results." and "The gains here are huge and are likely directly embodied in the performance claims that Apple made at the iPhone 5 launch event. Many smartphone workloads (under Android, iOS and Windows Phone despite what Microsoft may tell you) are still very CPU bound. Big increases in integer performance (which come from both memory and CPU) will be apparent in application level improvements."

So in reality, if the iPhone 5 proves to be the fastest, as AnandTech said it's because of design not consumer/media-digestible raw specs - it's likely a dual 1 GHZ CPU that won't impress anyone as leap-frogging the industry. Yet because of design, it's the fastest out there.

Apple will get no credit for this other than users that are very happy with the responsiveness of their phone - and that it allows them to do this in a thinner, cooler, less power-hungry phone (other things users care about). When you get your phone and you are comparing to your friend's Android, bring up IOS 6 maps and do a flyover mode and see how it compares to their phone's flyover-map.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR