BB9900 to iP5... Should I jailbreak?

BryantCarpio

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I am switching from BlackBerry 9900 to an iPhone 5 to pair with my MacBook Pro and iPad. I will be losing some features like adding attachments to my emails and a native word processing app that I use for school. I am curious to know if I should jailbreak my phone. It was first introduced to me in my distributions class while I downloaded Keynote on my iPad for $9.99 and my group partner downloaded it for free on his iPhone. But I am more interested in the OS features and not pirating. So... Should I jailbreak my iPhone?

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreaking is over rated IMO. Play with the phone for for a few weeks. If you like it, stay without the jailbreak, if not then jailbreak. I used to always jailbreak but then you have to wipe your phone if you wanna update to a new OS. It's not even worth it. Takes too much time to tweak things all the time, if I wanted to do that I would get an Android.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreaking is a good thing if you really need to do certain things. For some it's not necessary. I do it for 2 reasons.... Call blocker and free tethering. There are a lot benefits for people that really like to tweak. I would say there's no harm in doing it because you can always reverse it. Doesn't hurt to see what functionality you can gain.

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreaking is a good thing if you really need to do certain things. For some it's not necessary. I do it for 2 reasons.... Call blocker and free tethering. There are a lot benefits for people that really like to tweak. I would say there's no harm in doing it because you can always reverse it. Doesn't hurt to see what functionality you can gain.

I switched to a share plan with Verizon and it comes with free tethering. But like I said too much to deal with.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I switched to a share plan with Verizon and it comes with free tethering. But like I said too much to deal with.

Yeah I don't have a share plan do its good for me when I want to tether y laptop or iPad. To each it's own. Not too much to deal with for me. I jailbreak each time. Never have issues or anything that causes me any inconvenience.

To the OP keep in mind it could take a couple months before iPhone 5 is jail broken. First they are going to haw to figure how to jailbreak iOS 6 then do it for the new device because that's a different feat itself. So you'll have plenty of time to try the device as is and then try jailbreak when it's available.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It works for me because I'm use to my tweaks and quick settings because of the JB. For someone like yourself, switching from a BB to a iP5, I don't think its necessary. Especially considering what all iOS 6 does. Not to mention it might take some time to JB iOS 6 (even though it is JB'n for dev right now in beta). Off rip, the iPhone will do more than the BB though.

CappyGuy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I would not. For one it is highly illegal if you download the content for free apps. Which right there should let you know that it is definatly illegal. Anyways the new iOS 6 should be good enough.

And if you do jail break you may have problems with apps shutting down or not working like they should. So if u were you the safest thing to do is not to jailbreak.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd jailbreak when an untethered version is available just for tweaks like NCSettings, SBSettings, and BiteSMS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I originally jailbroke my ipod touch so I could use my ipod while it was connected to my cars stereo via usb. That accessory spash screen meant I couldnt search music from my ipod while it was playing on my cars speakers. As long as I can play pandora off my phone and use it too in my car ill be happy.

I switched to verizon so my now free tethering means I dont have to jailbreak my phone. I can just use my ipod which then negates the need to jailbreak in the first place.

Im coming from a blackberry to ip5, so im sure there will be convenience issues. Such as being able to download off websites, bb alarms which work even when phone is off, on / off phone timers, etc.

I've got far more to gain from switching to ios (netflix, words with friends, far superior apps, etc) than to stick with outdated blackberry. I was waiting for blackberry 10, but no word on if it has lte or if it can play android apps. When the time comes, im sure i can always sell my ip5 to pickup a bb10.

about the people who say jailbreaking has problems, I disagree. In the proper hands, it gives you more options and makes the ios interface much more functional and efficient. I DO think people can mess up their phones via a jailbreak but you can always reboot, or simply avoid things you dont understand.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I am switching from BlackBerry 9900 to an iPhone 5 to pair with my MacBook Pro and iPad. I will be losing some features like adding attachments to my emails and a native word processing app that I use for school. I am curious to know if I should jailbreak my phone. It was first introduced to me in my distributions class while I downloaded Keynote on my iPad for $9.99 and my group partner downloaded it for free on his iPhone. But I am more interested in the OS features and not pirating. So... Should I jailbreak my iPhone?

You can send email attachments on iPhone. However, heretofore since there is no access to the file system, you can only do it with local documents inside of apps, rather than the mail app. With the new iOS, you're supposed to be able to send attachments from the mail app, but I don't know what it works on besides photos. I'm sure you can do more jailbroken, but I've never needed to.

As others have pointed out, it will probably be months before the new iPhone will have a jailbreak, going by the last couple of devices, and many current tweaks and apps won't be compatible with the new hardware and software. I don't believe in piracy; apps aren't that expensive anyway. And if you already bought Keynote for iPad, you can download it free on iPhone.

That said, there are a lot of cool things you can do jailbroken, but the most important things we used to do it for are now built into iOS. But jailbreaking is usually easy and low-risk. I've had few problems, and if you do have a problem, you can always restore your phone to stock condition, as a last resort, not that I've ever had to in three years. Get used to your new phone as is, and when the jailbreak eventually comes out, search Google for jailbreak tweaks and apps to see if that's what you want to do. By that time, there should be all new jailbreak stuff for the new phone and new iOS.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I would not. For one it is highly illegal if you download the content for free apps. Which right there should let you know that it is definatly illegal. Anyways the new iOS 6 should be good enough.

And if you do jail break you may have problems with apps shutting down or not working like they should. So if u were you the safest thing to do is not to jailbreak.

I jailbreak but do not pirate apps. It's not illegal if you aren't doing anything illegal. And I've had very few problems in three years. The worst that could happen is that you have to restore, although I've never had to.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd jailbreak when an untethered version is available just for tweaks like NCSettings, SBSettings, and BiteSMS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. I don't use BiteSMS, but I do use SBSettings as well as a few other tweaks. I want to upgrade to iOS6, but not until there is a JB available for it. I like my JB too much to give it up.

The good thing about jailbreaking is if you don't like it, it's easy to go back to stock. Reverting back to stock is much faster than trying to reinstall an OS on a bricked BB.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
There's really no reason to refrain from jailbreaking...the simple act of doing it doesn't do anything to change the iPhone itself, people would honestly never know the difference when looking at it without any tweaks or anything.

The positives though are very numerous...you can customize and tweak until you're blue in the face. Most users just do a few mods and then leave it be, having a setup they prefer (me, i love having a 5 icon dock, if no other reason to jailbreak, i would do it JUST to have that feature).

ksison

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
There's really no reason to refrain from jailbreaking...the simple act of doing it doesn't do anything to change the iPhone itself, people would honestly never know the difference when looking at it without any tweaks or anything.

The positives though are very numerous...you can customize and tweak until you're blue in the face. Most users just do a few mods and then leave it be, having a setup they prefer (me, i love having a 5 icon dock, if no other reason to jailbreak, i would do it JUST to have that feature).

agreed, i also love the 5 icon row/dock. I also jb'd for a subtle font change (Ubuntu titling)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I really don't think you will see a untethered JB for awhile on iPhone 5. It gets harder and harder each year for the dev team to hack. I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

Reactions: scorpiodsu

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I really don't think you will see a untethered JB for awhile on iPhone 5. It gets harder and harder each year for the dev team to hack. I wouldn't worry about this just yet.

Yeah each OS upgrade makes jailbreaking harder. It'll probably take them a couple months just to jailbreak iOS6 for the previous devices that are getting an upgrade, let alone the iP5 which will most likely have new and differernt security measures.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
You will lose the ability to create numerous sound profiles. You will lose the shining blinking red notification light. You will lose the microsd card slot for expandable storage. You will lose a removable battery. You will lose the quicklaunch button on the side. You will lose one touch access to network connections, notifications, universal search, 24 shortcut keys from the home screen, and all shortcuts in all apps.

Jailbreaking will give all the non-hardware capabilities back, so yes, I would say do it as soon as it's available.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711