My Bleak 5 Take

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Let's face it, boys and girls, this is the first gen iPhone which does not exceed the competition in features. Worse, it lags the CURRENT gen of the competition. Aside from the ecosystem, there is nothing in the 5 which currently doesn't exist in other devices with some on the horizon which will look seriously better than Apple's on the 'features' check lists.

Apple will go big with this because it has momentum but so did many tech companies which currently either don't exist or exist in shrunken form. Apple's Jobs' strategy to hold back features so the customers will always lust for the next gen isn't working now. This conservative approach worked only as long as Apple's semi-crippled devices had a lead on the competition. As soon as that ended, which is now with the iPhone 5, the strategy is a lame loser.

Apple the company, is unique in being the only tech company which has come back from the dead. And it was dead with Jobs in exile, but soon returned and returned an a way which will be a business and tech legend for many years to come. But that was then and this is now. Jobs isn't at the helm any more and I'm afraid it shows in this, Apple's first lackluster major hardware release.

Beats me who or what can stop this slide but I don't see Tim as being another Jobs.

gixxer07600

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
thats funny...considering the pre orders sold out in 60 minutes. sure android has more features. but iPhone is more stable. more reliable, and runs smoother. i have the galaxy s 2 now, and my 3gs ran smoother than this phone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
thats funny...considering the pre orders sold out in 60 minutes. sure android has more features. but iPhone is more stable. more reliable, and runs smoother. i have the galaxy s 2 now, and my 3gs ran smoother than this phone.

eh that isn't necessarily the case anymore. Especially with ICS and more so JB. Plus I remember somewhere awhile back reporting IOS has more app crashes than android does. Yes the iphone sold out but how many did they have allotted? Until #'s come out they could have been understocked since they were reporting the low yield rates at first. Apple isn't going to do anything out of their comfort zone because until people stop buying they can continue with their specs and small updates as is.

Doc Z

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I strongly disagree. And this is coming from a person switching platforms to iOS. The iPhone 5 was enough to win me over. And the same will be said of countless other users, I'm sure.

People don't get it. These infinite comparisons of specs is irrelevant. They're marketing gimmicks. Apple released a better 4s - bigger screen, better battery life, and 4G. And it's thinner. What more do people want? Could they have done better? Sure, everyone can always do better. But it was just enough and it's a worthwhile upgrade. Apple doesn't need to change the game again. For now, it's happy to refine the product that helped them become the juggernaut it is today, and they refined it to perfection. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They'll innovate when the time is right. You don't think that $100 bil in the bank will ultimately lead to innovation? Don't doubt them. This was a brilliant business move on Apple's part. Some are disappointed - but they'll break records regardless.

Palm-a-PREciation

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the iPhone 5. I currently have a Samsung Epic 4G....and at the time that I got it, I was happy (but Sprint didn't have the Iphone then, and honestly, I choose it because the app menu section and icons were set up similar to the iPhone.

My husband got an Iphone 4S last year, and his is so much snappier than my Epic. The responsiveness of the touchscreen is MUCH better!!!! Maybe that's because his phone is a year newer than mine, but after a year of having my Epic, I was having issues with it freezing up (having to do a battery pull to reset it), he's had his almost a year and has yet to have any issues, he still loves his.

I learned my lesson about buying Samsung products. They may look gorgeous, but I don't care for the lack of support of upgrades, and the fact that they just don't perform as well as Apple products (as far as I'm concerned)

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
^^^ I too have learned my lesson about buying Samsung products. And I am an avid iPhone user. I started with the 3GS, then the 4 and I have the 4S. I preordered the 5. But I decided to try the newest Galaxy, the S3. While it is a nice phone, the reception is HORRIFIC and that is an understatement. As soon as my new iPhone arrives, it is going back and NEVER will I stray again.

Please accept my humble apologies, Apple. I do love their products. I must, I own a new iPad, MBA and iMac. :)

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
People need to understand apple will almost never "out-spec" the competition. That's not what they care about. It's about the entire package. I don't care how much ram and how many cores you have if the OS is buggy at times and user experience is compromised I don't want it. And this is from someone who always goes out to snatch up the latest android and iPhone.

ITS ME DAVID

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Apple has the best customer service and less problems then Samsung phones plus apples echo system, iOS firmware updates, and just how everything works is why I stick with apple and laugh at the competition I mean why would I want a plastic phone like a s3 anyways.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Let's face it, boys and girls, this is the first gen iPhone which does not exceed the competition in features. Worse, it lags the CURRENT gen of the competition. Aside from the ecosystem, there is nothing in the 5 which currently doesn't exist in other devices with some on the horizon which will look seriously better than Apple's on the 'features' check lists.

Apple will go big with this because it has momentum but so did many tech companies which currently either don't exist or exist in shrunken form. Apple's Jobs' strategy to hold back features so the customers will always lust for the next gen isn't working now. This conservative approach worked only as long as Apple's semi-crippled devices had a lead on the competition. As soon as that ended, which is now with the iPhone 5, the strategy is a lame loser.

Apple the company, is unique in being the only tech company which has come back from the dead. And it was dead with Jobs in exile, but soon returned and returned an a way which will be a business and tech legend for many years to come. But that was then and this is now. Jobs isn't at the helm any more and I'm afraid it shows in this, Apple's first lackluster major hardware release.

Beats me who or what can stop this slide but I don't see Tim as being another Jobs.

all this and you have yet to put it in your hand. unreal.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't think people realize what an engineering feat the iPhone 5 really is. It is longer, with a bigger screen yet is 20% lighter and is smaller by volume. It also includes an LTE radio and....wait for it..... THE BATTERY LIFE IS LONGER. Have you noticed the Motorola phones which have huge, thick batteries. That is their answer to LTE. Bigger and thicker.

For years, we have all have been begging for an iPhone with a little larger screen and LTE. This Friday we are getting it. We should be doing backflips, in my opinion.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Let's see, it's thinner, lighter, much faster (read new benchmarks just coming out today), longer battery life, LTE speed. I happen to think the real draw of the iPhone is the user experience through software, apps, integrated store with lots of choices etc., but if we just focus on the hardware here, does anyone have a phone that is thinner lighter faster and more battery life? I don't think so.

1. which would you rather have -- thin light fast battery LTE always-current OS or
2. NFC, wireless charge, microUSB?

The polls and purchases seem to indicate #1 is the choice of most. I know #1 is most important to me, but let everyone vote with their wallet.

mtruman42

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Last year I "upgraded" my Android phone to a Droid X2 (from a Droid Eris). At about the same time I recommended that my wife upgrade to an iPhone 4S (also from an Eris). I'm a software engineer and an admitted geek and figured that Android was the way to stay for me and the simpler iPhone approach was better for her. I was half right. I've hated the X2 piece of junk almost from the moment I got it. Constant crashes, lockups, slowness, reboots. In the mean time my wife's 4S has worked flawlessly. We both got iPads at Christmas last year and the experience has been the same with them - solid as a rock. The final straw was seeing the announcement from VZ and Moto that my X2 would never get an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich - even though it had only been on the market for 6 months. Certainly not the Apple approach. There are definitely Android phones out there with better on-paper specs than the iPhone 5. There are none that can match the engineering from Apple and more importantly the commitment to quality and customer support. Apple has a new customer for life...

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Last year I "upgraded" my Android phone to a Droid X2 (from a Droid Eris). At about the same time I recommended that my wife upgrade to an iPhone 4S (also from an Eris). I'm a software engineer and an admitted geek and figured that Android was the way to stay for me and the simpler iPhone approach was better for her. I was half right. I've hated the X2 piece of junk almost from the moment I got it. Constant crashes, lockups, slowness, reboots. In the mean time my wife's 4S has worked flawlessly. We both got iPads at Christmas last year and the experience has been the same with them - solid as a rock. The final straw was seeing the announcement from VZ and Moto that my X2 would never get an upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich - even though it had only been on the market for 6 months. Certainly not the Apple approach. There are definitely Android phones out there with better on-paper specs than the iPhone 5. There are none that can match the engineering from Apple and more importantly the commitment to quality and customer support. Apple has a new customer for life...

Exact same thing happened to me, only with Microsoft phones. Tired of instability and no upgrades. I am gone from Microsoft forever.

jayfry

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm so excited for the iphone 5 i can hardly hold it in... i pretend to be cool and all.. but really i just want to pop some sleeping pills till friday rolls around so i can take my iphone into my bed room and .... well you dont need to know that much.

but anyways THIS PHONE its going to be AWESOME... i mean bigger screen and LTE is what everyone was crying for last year when the 4s dropped. Now you get it and everyone thinks its horrible hahaha...

Every year is the SAME ****. THE SAME.

Apple announces the phone... PEOPLE HATE IT... Apple makes another Trillion dollars... and cries because everyone hates the phone ... then they wipe aways their tears with 100 dollar bills.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You know, this is the kind of post that would typically get me posting an epic novel of a response, taking apart all the little details of what you said and questioning this, that and the other...but one very clear detail completely derails your statement as a whole...if Apple is riding it's own momentum into obscurity, basic logic on this would tell us that the momentum would be slowing if they were in fact nearly said "end" as you implied.

You know, it's the damndest thing, but last time i looked (just a few minutes before i retorted to this), but it appears that this last iPhone exceeded it's predecessors...now correct if I'm wrong, but a slowing momentum typically wouldn't put the subject in question AHEAD of the preceding venture, right? I mean, if the iPhone 5 has exceeded it's previous models, while also addressing ALL of the major tech points consumers were concerned with when the 4S was released, then that makes your "degrading momentum" theory kind of...well...COMPLETELY inaccurate, you know what i mean?

We can get to the other details of your post later, but i wanted to make sure you saw that initially.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711