Setup as new or backup/restore

XCalibration17

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
How is everyone going to setup their iPhone 5? Is it better to set it up as a new phone and download all the apps individually or restore from a backup? I just want to make sure my phone runs as fast as possible.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Clean is always better... it's more work, but you also don't bring all the muck forward to your new device.

Just make sure you have a good backup of the old device and you can always fall back on that.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I usually take this once a year upgrade as a chance to start fresh and I don't restore from a backup. The only thing I tend to lose is game saves/progress but that just isn't that big of a deal for me anymore. I also jailbreak so I'm not going to restore my jailbroken iP4S data to my new 5...

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I used to believe that restoring from a backup was risky. And I believe it used to be true. However, since the inception of iCloud, it seems the backup and restore process is a whole lot better. I use backup and restore from iCloud now and it works flawlessly.

I just did backup/restore when upgrading to iOS 6 GM from iOS 5 and it works perfectly.

Plus, you lose your camera roll when starting fresh...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Clean is always better... it's more work, but you also don't bring all the muck forward to your new device.

Just make sure you have a good backup of the old device and you can always fall back on that.

'nuf said...;)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to get contacts restored to your new iPhone without anything else?

If your contacts are stored via iCloud, Google, Outlook, Yahoo!, etcetera, they will auto-sync to your new device when you configure the aforementioned service(s) on it.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to get contacts restored to your new iPhone without anything else?

Sure -- if you use iCloud all that data will come back once you enter your credentials. Same thing if you use Gmail. So basically once you get your new iP5 (this is what I do) just run through the setup screens and don't enter any of your info. When you get to iOS go into settings and start entering your various credentials... iCloud, email, Apple Store, etc. Your data will start populating and you can re-download any/all apps previously purchased through the App Store. Once you get your apps back start entering all your usernames/passwords. It's labor intensive but gives you that "clean" start.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
If your contacts are stored via iCloud, Google, Outlook, Yahoo!, etcetera, they will auto-sync to your new device when you configure the aforementioned service(s) on it.

Yes, contacts are no longer a worry with iCloud. They just populate automatically.

Beezzy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Starting fresh. Yeah I'll lose game progress but I had so many texts and other crap that takes up memory. All my apps and contacts are still on my iTunes. It'll be worth it to make sure there are no bugs that carry over.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am a nubie regarding this. When I updated my ipad2 to ipad3, I restored from backup via the cloud with no problems it was flawless and simple Can someone please explain why I should start clean with my new iphone5 rather than restore from backup of my iPhone 4s?

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
I dont see why starting fresh . Every year I have restored from backup and its worked flawlessly, so I dont see a reason to change.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
You don't have to. The OP simply wanted to know the best way to be SURE it'd be operating at full speed. That's the best way..

By all means, restore from backup and use. If you don't see any problems then there's nothing to worry about.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
You don't have to. The OP simply wanted to know the best way to be SURE it'd be operating at full speed. That's the best way..

By all means, restore from backup and use. If you don't see any problems then there's nothing to worry about.

How does the restore from backup slow the phone down. Just curious :)

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a subscriber to the school of "Setup as New" - I did a little digging and found an article in the Apple KBs about exactly what is saved in a backup file. It saves literally nothing relating to jailbreak. If it does catch anything, just do a "Reset All Settings" once the restore is done. I've never had an issue in the two years I've had my 4. I have way too many awesome texts/picture messages to not migrate them over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If I'm going from a 4S on iOS 6 to an iPhone 5 on iOS 6, I'm restoring the backup. If I'm going from a 4S on
iOS 5 to an iPhone 5 on iOS 6, I'm restoring as new and starting fresh.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh