Can anybody explain the following:

Last night, several hours before the launch of the pre order on the Apple Store website there was a message/sceen that stated that the Apple Store site is under maintenance and will be updated shortly.

I had my laptop set to the apple store site, my ipad had the apple store app open as well as as safari version of the apple store website and my iphone had the apple store app open. On each of these venues, the message appeared.

At 3:01am eastern (12:01) the message disappeared on my ipad apple store app but on nothing else.
    I was unable to order my iphone because to do so I had to open another line and the app does not provide that option.

The Verizon website was operational immediately but their internet site seemed to create an additional account, even though I selected add an additional line on my verizon so I would have two $100 accounts wth one line each so I aborted. In addition, I called Verizon and got a recording that there was no one working until 6 am.

The Apple Store thru iphone app became operational sometime around 3:30 but i had the same problem. I could not add a line.

I finally ordered mine at 3:50 eastern on my ipad- safari (internet) apple store. By this time it indicated delivery date of Oct. 3.

What is weird is that I have heard that people ordered hours later on Verizon's website and will have a delivery date of Sept 21.

My laptop still did not provide an operational apple store website at 4:20 am.

I have heard that others were able to go online to the apple store immediately at the launch.

Does anybody have an explanation? In my opinion, Apple did a horrible job on this one.
    09-14-2012 05:36 PM
    This is the same thing that happens every year...why are you some how surprised? Their servers are like anyone else's servers, and when they get a 500 mile high tsunami of people trying to do the exact same process at the exact same time...it causes problems.

Now as far as your hang up with the Apple website, that is strange...the under maintenance screen wasn't on mine all night, and when the pre-ordering started, my experience was only hung up on a couple of screens while putting in information, where i had to refresh and simply repeat the process (happened maybe 4-5 times). After it was done, no muss, no fuss. Perhaps you had the website cached on that screen from earlier in the day (or from Wednesday)? Who knows...your system had a problem getting in while their servers tried to keep from drowning in the middle of Hurricane iPhone 5.

Apple's website has to connect with the carrier websites in order to properly process orders through at the right price and the right private information. Over the years, the Apple store has been the most fluid and LEAST problematic place to get the iPhone if you walked in on release day, where as the carrier stores fumble around and falter and cause massive wait times simply trying to get people's iPhone's connected to their accounts. That leaves me with one opinion...I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt, i bet you the bottle neck cluster f*ck happens with the connection to the carrier networks.

Could Apple handle this differently? Sure, but that's kind of like saying authorities could handle an F5 tornado differently while their in the midst of it. Boo hoo...you didn't get your iPhone ordered in time and now you have to wait a few extra days. Is your life hinging on the necessity that it comes precisely on the 21st or everything will simply come to an end and the world will never be the same?

First world problems son...get over it. Enjoy the fact that you can have an iPhone 5 and quit crying over a few days wait.
    09-14-2012 05:50 PM
    This is the same thing that happens every year...why are you some how surprised? Their servers are like anyone else's servers, and when they get a 500 mile high tsunami of people trying to do the exact same process at the exact same time...it causes problems.

Now as far as your hang up with the Apple website, that is strange...the under maintenance screen wasn't on mine all night, and when the pre-ordering started, my experience was only hung up on a couple of screens while putting in information, where i had to refresh and simply repeat the process (happened maybe 4-5 times). After it was done, no muss, no fuss. Perhaps you had the website cached on that screen from earlier in the day (or from Wednesday)? Who knows...your system had a problem getting in while their servers tried to keep from drowning in the middle of Hurricane iPhone 5.

Apple's website has to connect with the carrier websites in order to properly process orders through at the right price and the right private information. Over the years, the Apple store has been the most fluid and LEAST problematic place to get the iPhone if you walked in on release day, where as the carrier stores fumble around and falter and cause massive wait times simply trying to get people's iPhone's connected to their accounts. That leaves me with one opinion...I'll give Apple the benefit of the doubt, i bet you the bottle neck cluster f*ck happens with the connection to the carrier networks.

Could Apple handle this differently? Sure, but that's kind of like saying authorities could handle an F5 tornado differently while their in the midst of it. Boo hoo...you didn't get your iPhone ordered in time and now you have to wait a few extra days. Is your life hinging on the necessity that it comes precisely on the 21st or everything will simply come to an end and the world will never be the same?

First world problems son...get over it. Enjoy the fact that you can have an iPhone 5 and quit crying over a few days wait.
    I did what you suggested. Closed safari and internet explorer, etc refreshed page, etc. I di not leave the pages open for hours. Entered site right before/at launch.

And yes, I am angry because I do not want to have to wait a few weeks. i could walk into a store later in the day on the 21st and still have my phone on or around October 5. (thats 3 weeks from now and 2 weeks from launch) I didn't need to go through this.

However, you are right. Life is too short!!! I guess the silver lining is that if its not the very first shipment, if any bugs are discovered, perhaps it will be fixed before I receive my phone. In addition, there may be more accessories available at that point.
    09-14-2012 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD