Surprised no early upgrades

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised the carriers, especially Verizon didn't offer early upgrades. I remember the couple times AT&T pushed up people's upgrade date so they could buy the iPhone and be locked in knowing that Verizon was getting the iPhone a few months later. So wouldhave thought with the changes Verizon made to their data plans, this would have been a good opportunity for them to lock people in longer AND switch of unlimited plans since you now have to switch if you use an upgrade. Wonder why they didn't. Oh well I would have still brought full retail anyway LOL. Verizon is going to have to pry unlimited out of my hands!

MikeDVB

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
AT&T did offer early upgrades...for $250 over the contract price.
Yep. I wanted to buy outright but the Apple Store App didn't give me the option, the actual Apple Store on Apple.com was still showing 'We'll be back soon.' and AT&T's site wouldn't get past the upgrade eligibility.

I ended up having to extend the contract to get the phone on the 21st. Sucks as my contract was going to be up May of 2013.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yep. I wanted to buy outright but the Apple Store App didn't give me the option, the actual Apple Store on Apple.com was still showing 'We'll be back soon.' and AT&T's site wouldn't get past the upgrade eligibility.

I ended up having to extend the contract to get the phone on the 21st. Sucks as my contract was going to be up May of 2013.

If I wanted to buy it outright without wanting to extend my contract, I would have just waited.

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

they didn't offer me one i even called and 3 diff reps said they cannot do early upgrades on pre orders now afterwards you can come into the store so i said forget it i will just pay the 499.00 for it since i sold the iphone 4s and my htc one x more than enough to cover and it leaves me with my upgrade still avail for may 2013. by the way they the policy changed in the past iphone customers were allowed after 18months and if you were within 6 months they would allow the full upgrade now they said it was changed to 20 months and no moving it up at all bottom line is three reps said this one being the manager so i just paid for it worked out better for me anyway.

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
they didn't offer me one i even called and 3 diff reps said they cannot do early upgrades on pre orders now afterwards you can come into the store so i said forget it i will just pay the 499.00 for it since i sold the iphone 4s and my htc one x more than enough to cover and it leaves me with my upgrade still avail for may 2013. by the way they the policy changed in the past iphone customers were allowed after 18months and if you were within 6 months they would allow the full upgrade now they said it was changed to 20 months and no moving it up at all bottom line is three reps said this one being the manager so i just paid for it worked out better for me anyway.

after looking over my email receipt it does look like it was a early upgrade because i paid 449.0 which is the 250 plus the 199 awww man they got me i wanted to pay the cost i didn't want to loose my upgrade geesh oh well

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Yeah but that's normal BAU for AT&T because the current early upgrade process could have been done on another phone today if a person wants to. I'm talking specifically for iPhone release which has been done in the past and they moved people's full upgrade date.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I did my pre order on apples site and it let me buy it at cost the 16gb black slate looking at my email receipt it was 449.00 plus 37.04 tax total 486.04

Yeah. You paid an early upgrade fee of $250. The cost outright for the 16GB is $650 without renewing the
contract for two years.

EvilJack

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I called ATT yesterday because one of our phones had zero discount (not event the $250 over discounted price) and when I directly asked them if they could make that phone available for the early upgrade discount they said no but they would offer me a $200 credit on my next bill. They told me they would call me back tonight (day after pre-order launch) to confirm I ordered a 5 before issuing the credit to my account. Tonight right on schedule the same lady (Heidi) called me back and pushed through the credit. She asked me how many iPhones I purchased last night and I told her two. She asked how much i paid for them and then said she would give me a further credit but she is limited to $200 per day. So she is going to call me back the next time she worked and she is going to give me more credit (how much I do not know).

That's some damn good customer service right there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2