I ordered through AT&T this morning to be able to keep my unlimited plan (unavailable through Apple web site). I did not see an option to order apple care. Anyone know how to get apple care on the phone when ordered through a carrier?
    09-14-2012 10:21 AM
    I ordered through AT&T this morning to be able to keep my unlimited plan (unavailable through Apple web site). I did not see an option to order apple care. Anyone know how to get apple care on the phone when ordered through a carrier?
    I'm pretty sure you have 30 days from the day of purchase to take your device ( and receipt ) into and apple store and purchase the additional coverage.
    petsnspace likes this.
    09-14-2012 10:25 AM
    Apple care needs to be purchased through Apple. And if you ordered via Apple you keep your unlimited data. Your order does not touch that. So to say it was unavailable through the Apple site is not correct.
    09-14-2012 10:29 AM
    I'm pretty sure you have 30 days from the day of purchase to take your device ( and receipt ) into and apple store and purchase the additional coverage.
    You can buy Apple Care up to one year from purchase actually.
    09-14-2012 10:30 AM
    As I remember you had to buy AppleCare+ same time when placing order for the phone.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    09-14-2012 10:32 AM
    Apple care needs to be purchased through Apple. And if you ordered via Apple you keep your unlimited data. Your order does not touch that. So to say it was unavailable through the Apple site is not correct.
    When I went on-line, it was not available so I called and the Apple sales representative (who said he kept unlimited data for others) couldn't get me an unlimited plan so he told me to call my carrier. He didn't know why my unlimited plan was unavailable.
    09-14-2012 10:34 AM
    When I went on-line, it was not available so I called and the Apple sales representative (who said he kept unlimited data for others) couldn't get me an unlimited plan so he told me to call my carrier. He didn't know why my unlimited plan was unavailable.
    That's because Apple doesn't ask you about your data plan. Just a text plan. Trust me, I've ordered from Apple every year and every year it is the same. And my status even lists my plan as unlimited data. But again, there is no option to change that when you order via Apple.
    09-14-2012 10:35 AM
    That's because Apple doesn't ask you about your data plan. Just a text plan. Trust me, I've ordered from Apple every year and every year it is the same. And my status even lists my plan as unlimited data. But again, there is no option to change that when you order via Apple.
    That's odd. My confirmation screen from Apple (I have a screen shot) shows data plan (no option to change it) does show it, but makes no mention of the texting plan. This was an upgrade to a sub account on a family plan with family shared unlimited texting... maybe that's why.

I did not see an option to purchase AppleCare or AppleCare+. Same as last year. But last year I also got a followup email offering AppleCare+ because it wasn't offered at the time of purchase.
    09-14-2012 10:43 AM
    That's odd. My confirmation screen from Apple (I have a screen shot) shows data plan (no option to change it) does show it, but makes no mention of the texting plan. This was an upgrade to a sub account on a family plan with family shared unlimited texting... maybe that's why.

I did not see an option to purchase AppleCare or AppleCare+. Same as last year. But last year I also got a followup email offering AppleCare+ because it wasn't offered at the time of purchase.
    Yeah, mine said unlimited text and unlimited data. And nobody should worry about Apple Care as like I said, you have a year to purchase it.
    09-14-2012 10:46 AM
    That is not true. Apple would not let me order without selecting a data plan (either on-line or on the phone) and unlimited was not an option.
    09-14-2012 11:00 AM
    That is not true. Apple would not let me order without selecting a data plan (either on-line or on the phone) and unlimited was not an option.
    If this was a new contract I'm not sure what happened in your case. Upgrading it's not an issue and and I know a lot of people who started new contracts including data plans just fine on Apple's site.
    09-14-2012 11:09 AM
    If this was a new contract I'm not sure what happened in your case. Upgrading it's not an issue and and I know a lot of people who started new contracts including data plans just fine on Apple's site.
    Truth-be-told, I think the problem was that I have an enterprise data plan. I was trying to upgrade as I am a current AT&T customer.
    09-14-2012 11:20 AM
    Truth-be-told, I think the problem was that I have an enterprise data plan. I was trying to upgrade as I am a current AT&T customer.
    That may be it. I have a regular account.
    09-14-2012 11:22 AM
    What is "Apple Care" for?
    Should I get it?
    09-14-2012 12:17 PM
    What is "Apple Care" for?
    Should I get it?
    Apple care is like an extended warranty with some extra perks. If you plan on having your device longer than a year, I suggest buying it.
    asapp likes this.
    09-14-2012 12:21 PM
    Apple care is now even a better deal, replacing the phone even if you have an accident ($49 fee I believe).
    09-14-2012 12:38 PM
    You have an entire year from date of purchase to buy Apple care. 90 days are complimentary. Not really a pressing issue so soon
    09-14-2012 01:59 PM
    Yup. As long as you take it in to them so they can inspect it.
    09-14-2012 02:34 PM
    Yup. As long as you take it in to them so they can inspect it.
    I've done it over the phone 6 months in.
    09-14-2012 02:49 PM
    I've done it over the phone 6 months in.
    Quite lucky.
    09-14-2012 02:55 PM
    I waited in line at the Apple store to get my iPhone 4 when it first came out and they messed up my plan and removed my unlimited data. Luckily I had to go to the AT&T store right afterwards for something else and they told me I no longer had unlimited on my plan and they were able to correct it. They said that if I had not come in that same day there would be nothing that they could do to correct it and I would have lost my unlimited data and not even realized it until I got my bill.

So I would not say that Apple can't touch that. I will always order through the AT&T store in the future to make sure that my benefits are protected.
    Last edited by Robin; 09-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    09-14-2012 03:11 PM
    The policy is within 30 days with a visit to an Apple retail store to have you iPhone inspected. I imagine there may be some flexibility as with everything with Apple, but no guarantees

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

Important notes
    AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.
    09-14-2012 03:22 PM
    As I remember you had to buy AppleCare+ same time when placing order for the phone.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S
    Not so, just call AppleCare on the phone to purchase it. That is what I did last year for my iPhone 4S. I purchase the phone through AT&T.
    09-14-2012 04:14 PM
    The policy is within 30 days with a visit to an Apple retail store to have you iPhone inspected. I imagine there may be some flexibility as with everything with Apple, but no guarantees

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

Important notes
    AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.
    Perhaps I'm a special case.
    09-14-2012 04:32 PM
    Perhaps I'm a special case.
    Not gonna touch that one... but I could.
    09-14-2012 04:38 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD