Apple Care with AT&T order

pink2

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Apple care needs to be purchased through Apple. And if you ordered via Apple you keep your unlimited data. Your order does not touch that. So to say it was unavailable through the Apple site is not correct.

I waited in line at the Apple store to get my iPhone 4 when it first came out and they messed up my plan and removed my unlimited data. Luckily I had to go to the AT&T store right afterwards for something else and they told me I no longer had unlimited on my plan and they were able to correct it. They said that if I had not come in that same day there would be nothing that they could do to correct it and I would have lost my unlimited data and not even realized it until I got my bill.

So I would not say that Apple can't touch that. I will always order through the AT&T store in the future to make sure that my benefits are protected.

Last edited:

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
You can buy Apple Care up to one year from purchase actually.

The policy is within 30 days with a visit to an Apple retail store to have you iPhone inspected. I imagine there may be some flexibility as with everything with Apple, but no guarantees

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

Important notes
AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The policy is within 30 days with a visit to an Apple retail store to have you iPhone inspected. I imagine there may be some flexibility as with everything with Apple, but no guarantees

Important notes
AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.

Perhaps I'm a special case.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I ordered through AT&T this morning to be able to keep my unlimited plan (unavailable through Apple web site). I did not see an option to order apple care. Anyone know how to get apple care on the phone when ordered through a carrier?

You had to click to the next page to see the option to keep current data plan

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Important notes

Apple Care+ maybe. Apple Care is one year.

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?
You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.

Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQ

RC46

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Apple Care you had one year but since AC+ covers physical damage, they only allow 30 now. Anything after 30 days with AC+ would be lucky.

You did correctly state their written policy but Apple is smart. They will still take your $100 as long as a genius first carefully inspects your phone prior to selling the contract. When you think about it their risk goes down the longer you wait to buy the coverage because the length of time they will be liable is decreased.

FlopTech

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
This is the relevant quote from Apple's AppleCare+ web page:

AppleCare+ gives you "Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a $49 service fee," which is why we're getting it. Cracked screen? $49 to repair it or maybe even get a replacement iPhone 5. Twice in the 2 year period if necessary.

It seems that you can't get plain old AppleCare for iPhone 5. You need to get AppleCare+.

Here's Apple's AppleCare+ web page: www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Applecare isn't available for 4S, evidently. All that I can find is Applecare+, which I cannot get because my purchase date was in March 2012.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If you weren;t given an option to purchase AppleCare+ at the time of purchase, you should get an email from Apple offering it to you. I was not offered AppleCare+ when I pre-ordered, but I did get a email over night last night with the offer.

Dear [redacted],

Thank you for your recent iPhone 5 purchase at the Apple Store.

We would like to let you know that every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee.

We noticed you weren't given the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your iPhone. If you would like to extend your coverage for only $99, please reply to this email by September 21st.

After that date, if you would still like to purchase AppleCare+ within the first thirty days of receiving your iPhone, you can call AppleCare at 800-MY-IPHONE or visit an Apple Retail Store.

Thank you for shopping with Apple.

Sincerely,

Apple Online Store Team

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
If you weren;t given an option to purchase AppleCare+ at the time of purchase, you should get an email from Apple offering it to you. I was not offered AppleCare+ when I pre-ordered, but I did get a email over night last night with the offer.

I got this message last night too -- I want to add AppleCare+ but I'm slightly nervous it will change my order and maybe delay it. I don't see why it would, but I would be pissed if my iP5 which is set to arrive Friday (and being prepared for shipping right now according to my order status) gets delayed because I changed the order adding AC+

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I got this message last night too -- I want to add AppleCare+ but I'm slightly nervous it will change my order and maybe delay it. I don't see why it would, but I would be pissed if my iP5 which is set to arrive Friday (and being prepared for shipping right now according to my order status) gets delayed because I changed the order adding AC+

It should not change anything regarding your order. The email says to respond to the email by September 21... so if you're worried, wait until you get the "Your order has shipped" email, verify a tracking number and then reply to the AppleCare+ email.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
It should not change anything regarding your order. The email says to respond to the email by September 21... so if you're worried, wait until you get the "Your order has shipped" email, verify a tracking number and then reply to the AppleCare+ email.

After sitting here thinking about it for a few minutes I think that is what I am going to do just to be safe. It's also the reason I don't order any accessories on the same order when I buy a new iPhone... I don't want anything to delay it because an item isn't available and it won't ship separate or something silly like that. Maybe I'm over-thinking it a little, but I received my EarPods yesterday that I purchased separate, and my various lightning cables/adapters order is still processing. My iP5 is set to arrive Friday though :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods