I ordered through AT&T this morning to be able to keep my unlimited plan (unavailable through Apple web site). I did not see an option to order apple care. Anyone know how to get apple care on the phone when ordered through a carrier?
    You had to click to the next page to see the option to keep current data plan
    09-14-2012 04:38 PM
    The policy is within 30 days with a visit to an Apple retail store to have you iPhone inspected. I imagine there may be some flexibility as with everything with Apple, but no guarantees

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

Important notes
    AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.
    Apple Care+ maybe. Apple Care is one year.

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?
    You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.
    Apple - Support - AppleCare - FAQ
    09-14-2012 04:53 PM
    Not gonna touch that one... but I could.
    I've been known to make a few phone calls...
    09-14-2012 05:19 PM
    I've done it over the phone 6 months in.
    Apple Care you had one year but since AC+ covers physical damage, they only allow 30 now. Anything after 30 days with AC+ would be lucky.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    09-14-2012 05:21 PM
    Apple Care you had one year but since AC+ covers physical damage, they only allow 30 now. Anything after 30 days with AC+ would be lucky.
    You did correctly state their written policy but Apple is smart. They will still take your $100 as long as a genius first carefully inspects your phone prior to selling the contract. When you think about it their risk goes down the longer you wait to buy the coverage because the length of time they will be liable is decreased.
    09-14-2012 10:04 PM
    Question what happens to the previous apple care that I purchased
    09-15-2012 12:27 AM
    Question what happens to the previous apple care that I purchased
    It still covers that specific device you purchased it for. No matter who ends up owning it.
    09-15-2012 12:32 AM
    You can buy Apple Care up to one year from purchase actually.
    Just checked the Apple website and it say you need to buy it within 30 days.
    09-15-2012 12:40 AM
    Yes, but Apple Care Plus is within 30 days with a Genius appointment.

AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Store (U.S.)
    09-15-2012 01:16 AM
    This is the relevant quote from Apple's AppleCare+ web page:
    AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.
    AppleCare+ gives you "Coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a $49 service fee," which is why we're getting it. Cracked screen? $49 to repair it or maybe even get a replacement iPhone 5. Twice in the 2 year period if necessary.

It seems that you can't get plain old AppleCare for iPhone 5. You need to get AppleCare+.

Here's Apple's AppleCare+ web page: www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html
    Last edited by FlopTech; 09-15-2012 at 03:50 AM.
    09-15-2012 03:39 AM
    Applecare isn't available for 4S, evidently. All that I can find is Applecare+, which I cannot get because my purchase date was in March 2012.
    09-15-2012 04:00 AM
    If you weren;t given an option to purchase AppleCare+ at the time of purchase, you should get an email from Apple offering it to you. I was not offered AppleCare+ when I pre-ordered, but I did get a email over night last night with the offer.

Dear [redacted],

Thank you for your recent iPhone 5 purchase at the Apple Store.

We would like to let you know that every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee.

We noticed you weren't given the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your iPhone. If you would like to extend your coverage for only $99, please reply to this email by September 21st.

After that date, if you would still like to purchase AppleCare+ within the first thirty days of receiving your iPhone, you can call AppleCare at 800-MY-IPHONE or visit an Apple Retail Store.

Thank you for shopping with Apple.

Sincerely,

Apple Online Store Team
    09-15-2012 09:48 AM
    If you weren;t given an option to purchase AppleCare+ at the time of purchase, you should get an email from Apple offering it to you. I was not offered AppleCare+ when I pre-ordered, but I did get a email over night last night with the offer.
    I got this message last night too -- I want to add AppleCare+ but I'm slightly nervous it will change my order and maybe delay it. I don't see why it would, but I would be pissed if my iP5 which is set to arrive Friday (and being prepared for shipping right now according to my order status) gets delayed because I changed the order adding AC+
    09-15-2012 10:28 AM
    I got this message last night too -- I want to add AppleCare+ but I'm slightly nervous it will change my order and maybe delay it. I don't see why it would, but I would be pissed if my iP5 which is set to arrive Friday (and being prepared for shipping right now according to my order status) gets delayed because I changed the order adding AC+
    It should not change anything regarding your order. The email says to respond to the email by September 21... so if you're worried, wait until you get the "Your order has shipped" email, verify a tracking number and then reply to the AppleCare+ email.
    09-15-2012 10:33 AM
    It should not change anything regarding your order. The email says to respond to the email by September 21... so if you're worried, wait until you get the "Your order has shipped" email, verify a tracking number and then reply to the AppleCare+ email.
    After sitting here thinking about it for a few minutes I think that is what I am going to do just to be safe. It's also the reason I don't order any accessories on the same order when I buy a new iPhone... I don't want anything to delay it because an item isn't available and it won't ship separate or something silly like that. Maybe I'm over-thinking it a little, but I received my EarPods yesterday that I purchased separate, and my various lightning cables/adapters order is still processing. My iP5 is set to arrive Friday though
    09-15-2012 10:57 AM
    After sitting here thinking about it for a few minutes I think that is what I am going to do just to be safe. It's also the reason I don't order any accessories on the same order when I buy a new iPhone... I don't want anything to delay it because an item isn't available and it won't ship separate or something silly like that. Maybe I'm over-thinking it a little, but I received my EarPods yesterday that I purchased separate, and my various lightning cables/adapters order is still processing. My iP5 is set to arrive Friday though
    I totally understand that.

BTW, how are the earpods? As good as advertised?
    09-15-2012 11:13 AM
    I'm hoping this has been said already, but you can only purchase AppleCare+, the one that gives you two accidental damage coverages, within the first 30 days. Doesn't matter where you bought it, so long as it was opened 30 days ago, with no damage.
    09-15-2012 02:01 PM
    If you want Apple Care, you have to purchase your iphone from Apple directly. If you ourchase from National Retail, COR, or a Dealer location, Apple will not sell you AC. This started last year with the iphone 4s launch.
    Not true. We got my wife's 4s from VZ last year. Went to the Apple store 2 weeks later and added Apple Care+. It does have to be within 30 days of purchase and does require a Genius appt in the Apple store so that they can inspect the phone to make sure there is no previous damage.

AC+ is a great deal. Besides extending the regular warranty to 2 years it provides 2 accidental damage incidents with a $49 deductible each. Compare this to the VZ coverage that is $10/month and has a $170 deductible for accidental damage. No wonder VZ doesn't want to tell you about AC+! This is the reason that I did my pre-order through Apple. AC+ added at time of purchase - no trip to the store necessary.
    09-15-2012 03:17 PM
    You can add ac+ if you buy at other places.....not just apple.
    09-15-2012 03:28 PM
    BTW, how are the earpods? As good as advertised?
    They definitely sound better than the old buds -- thicker with actual bass response. They fit in my ears pretty good too, it's hard to explain but you don't just put them in -- you sort of pull them down a bit and at least for me they sit in my ears pretty solid. Kind of a cross between the old buds and the in-ear version. Bottom line -- I like them!
    09-16-2012 12:51 PM
    AC+ is a great deal. Besides extending the regular warranty to 2 years it provides 2 accidental damage incidents with a $49 deductible each. Compare this to the VZ coverage that is $10/month and has a $170 deductible for accidental damage. No wonder VZ doesn't want to tell you about AC+! This is the reason that I did my pre-order through Apple. AC+ added at time of purchase - no trip to the store necessary.
    Definitely. AC on its own is a must - you're in for 2 years why to cover it for 2? And the difference in price between AC and AC+ is a no-brainer!
    09-16-2012 02:29 PM
    My friend had bought apple care from a store when she bought her iPhone 3GS. She never used it. She got rid of her iphone shortly after buying it for a different phone. I asked her if I could have it since she hasn't activated it and no longer had the phone. My question, can I use this when I get my iPhone 5? Since its a couple years old would it only cover stuff from then or would it have all the current protection?
    09-16-2012 04:57 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD