No simultaneous voice/data for Verizon (Sprint?) iPhone 5????

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
dude... you proved me wrong about nothing. Sorry that it escapes you that the people who don't have the ability to talk&surf now on the equipment they have will not miss what they don't have right now. The fact that some people can with other equipment is irrelevant, no matter how hard you try to say it is. When it comes to reading comp, you are far less well off than you accuse me of being. :rolleyes: right back at you.

I never said those who never used it would miss it.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This will all go away when voice over LTE deploys... the cellular version of voice over IP... and it is being worked on.

Yes this is the future. Why put a third attanae in the 5 when it really is only killing the batt. LTE technology has to catch up to Apple.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Really is it that big of a deal? If you're Already using a iPhone 4 or 4S, you should be used to it. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice thing to do those simultaneously, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its a dealbreaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
LTE technology has to catch up to Apple.

That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. Apple eliminated the dual radios to make it super thin. Not to mention, by the time voice over LTE is widespread enough to call it useful, we'll be seeing the iphone 7 or 8 introduced anyhow. So, you're saying Apple did this because they are so advanced. So advanced that they built it for a network that doesn't exist? Yeah, that's great. the iphone 5 is a massive fail.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think Apple shouldn't have tried to reinvent the wheel on the single radio design, but that's the route they decided to take

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Nuesoul

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
It is a problem when the Apple explanation I posted above is considered. They didn't put enough antennae in the phone to light up the CDMA radio and LTE at the same time.
I saw on the apple website in the video that the device has svdo capabilities. A friend of mine has the droid bionic & on 4g he has svdo. It's not that big of a deal but I'm getting into the kind of work & I'll need it. If the Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't support it, I'll be forced to go to a less superior network(AT&T)

GolpherZX

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I've had enough of the annoyances at times with the iPhone when navigating in traffic and talking to someone that the data updates are nice. I have several commutes where I would like the GPS app to update the route depending on travel and to be able to talk to family (so not distracted driving). This is most likely going to have me go back to Android. I refuse to go to AT&T and their backwards policies. Thanks for the short time using Apple.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. Apple eliminated the dual radios to make it super thin. Not to mention, by the time voice over LTE is widespread enough to call it useful, we'll be seeing the iphone 7 or 8 introduced anyhow. So, you're saying Apple did this because they are so advanced. So advanced that they built it for a network that doesn't exist? Yeah, that's great. the iphone 5 is a massive fail.

I'll forget that you feel my statement is absurd and move on to your absurd statement that iPhone 5 is a massive fail.
Watch as the people line up around the world to buy this massive fail. They made money when they had no 3G they made money when they had no 4G they money again with no 4G they will make money with no simultaneous voice and data. Dude wake up. I'll bet you will be in line or maybe you preordered.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
They did it to save power , keep it thin , and to simplify the manufacturing process .. If they added it then people would complain about battery and wonder why .. It's a lose lose look at battery life on other platforms that can do this on Verizon

Me personally I never had it so it don't matter but I only think of one time where I could have used it lol but that is just me

bogeyx5

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It really is too bad. I'd like the option to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If I don't use it, no additional battery drain. But once again, Apple knows best and there are people that will back their decisions no matter what.

I will be getting one as a work phone on Verizon and I'm bummed to hear this "feature" left out. Guess my GS3 will continue to be my primary device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've used this more than ever in the last year while on 3G. I really want to switch to Verizon. But this has me seriously considering just staying with AT&T now. Sucks.

chadaw

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I hate AT&T. I have stayed with them because of surf and talk. I was so ready to go with Verizon, I was so happy until today at work I read the iPhone 5 will still not be able to surf and talk on Verizon. I agree if you never had it you don't know what you are missing, but I've had it and its a deal breaker.

anon(4706943)

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Really is it that big of a deal? If you're Already using a iPhone 4 or 4S, you should be used to it. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice thing to do those simultaneously, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its a dealbreaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think it was a big deal myself until my role changed at work. Now I'm on conference calls all the time and I'm often in situations where I need to send email, receive email or send a MMS to multiple people while on the phone and I can't do it because I'm not in WiFi range.

That doesn't totally kill the deal for me, but I was hoping for more...

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I hate AT&T. I have stayed with them because of surf and talk. I was so ready to go with Verizon, I was so happy until today at work I read the iPhone 5 will still not be able to surf and talk on Verizon. I agree if you never had it you don't know what you are missing, but I've had it and its a deal breaker.

Same with me, only I just say this sad news tonight (traveling all day). I guess I'll be staying with AT&T begrudgingly... I was all set to ditch them and even pay the ETF and go to vzw. But no go with non-simultaneous voice and data. My area doesn't have LTE for either carrier yet, so sticking with the HSPA option aka At&t might is really my best option anyway i guess. On the bright side, my iPad is AT&T LTE - so at least if I go shared data plan, both devices will be on same plan.

I was in MPLS airport today - and got LTE taste on my iPad today... Wow... SO FAST!!! can't wait for it to reach my area!!

So alas... Gonna have to stick with AT&T for iPhone 5...

Last edited:

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll forget that you feel my statement is absurd and move on to your absurd statement that iPhone 5 is a massive fail.
Watch as the people line up around the world to buy this massive fail. They made money when they had no 3G they made money when they had no 4G they money again with no 4G they will make money with no simultaneous voice and data. Dude wake up. I'll bet you will be in line or maybe you preordered.

Ok, let me clarify the fail comment, sorry. I meant that in terms of technological advancements and moving ahead of the competition. They didn't introduce anything that hasn't been available on other platforms already. LTE, nav, 4" screen, panorama, stills while taking video, facetime over cell, all been done. Well, not facetime - skype, oovoo, etc. Anyhow, they are playing catch up.

I have no doubt they will sell tons and make tons of cash and be very successful. Just pointing out that they seem to have lost their edge when it comes to wowing us with new innovations.

On a side note, how is it that when Exxon Mobil or Bank of America or any public company other than Apple makes a ton of cash and profit, they are dirty rotten scoundrels but when Apple does it they are praised?

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is *incredibly* disappointing, and so frustrating, particularly when other devices, long available on CDMA networks, offer this feature.

It *is* relevant that other devices offer this feature, and have done so for so long. The HTC Thunderbolt was released shortly after the iPhone 4. That's technology that's almost 2 years old, that many people, I'm sure, have come to rely on. Of *course* that means it's relevant -- it's not even new technology!!

In my opinion, this was a huge mistake on Apple's part.

They're incorporating turn-by-turn maps with Siri support -- if I need to make a phone call on the road while using Apple's GPS, am I supposed to pull over? That's absolutely idiotic.

I commute every day on a train, and my internal modem on my laptop is 3G only -- and I can't upgrade. I frequently have to be on the phone while using my laptop's connection. I was hoping to be able to simply use my iPhone LTE Hotspot while maintaining the ability to make phone calls.

It's a feature I've been looking forward to ever since I knew the iPhone 5 would support LTE. I've been unwilling to sacrifice the quality of Verizon's network to switch to AT&T for the feature, prior to this.

I understand Apple's decision to place their focus on delivering a smaller, thinner phone. Makes perfect sense. Maybe this is my lack of understanding, however, when I say -- if there are already 2 antennas on the device, why the hell didn't they just split the CDMA and LTE antennas across what's already there?

I saw a post above that says the iPhone 5 supports SVDO -- again, if it does, why can't we use the simultaneous voice and data again??

I've pre-ordered my iPhone, and I'll deal, but I can't help but think this smacks of the Apple "we know better than you" attitude that the company seems to be adopting more and more over the years. I like Apple, and I think they've done some great things. I'll always buy the products from them that I believe are the best on the market. But I get really, really frustrated with them at times.

Very disappointed.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I have talked up Verizon for so long I feel i should be paid. And yet, I'm sticking with AT&T. This data and voice issue is a deal breaker for me.

I'm sure the area I work in will get AT&T LTE before end of year so it's not all bad. I'll grab a verizon ipad later after seeing any october announcement which should help with any tethering or facetime issues.

AT&T does have better voice options as well. Conference calling for one. Here's a link. Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4S and the limitations of CDMA | iMore.com and iPhone: Understanding phone features

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing those that are current vzw iPhone customers have learned to live without it or at least accept it. For those of us on AT&T it's hard to go back to not having simultaneous voice & data. I'm asking myself if I could do without - as I considered jumping ship from AT&T to VZW. Not sure I can...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing those that are current vzw iPhone customers have learned to live without it or at least accept it.

That's only true if one had a device capable of it on Verizon... most Verizon users have never even had a device capable of talk&surf.

There are solutions to this if one is willing...

If you already have a Verizon LTE iPad - and are on a Share Everything plan - you can tether your iPhone to use your iPad as a wifi hotspot and talk&surf until you're blue in the face from talking and your fingers bleed from surfing - and it won't cost you anything more.

Reactions: trmoney24

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox