That better not be true. If it won't go simultaneous that's a deal breaker for me. I love Apple and was waiting for their LTE iPhone. Now that it's here I expect voice and data at the same time since every other LTE phone has it. I constantly run into situations that require it but have been holding out for the LTE iPhone. So if it doesn't, it's going back and I have to figure out what crapdroid I'd be getting. God I hope this is not true.
    09-14-2012 06:32 PM
    unfortunately it looks like it is.

As I understand it, the Android devices that support dual voice and data are 1) SVDO capable, and 2) have 2 antennas -- one for CDMA/EVDO, one for LTE.

LTE does not support voice at all, so the way it works is, when your data is pulled down via LTE, you can still use voice over the CDMA/EVDO antenna.

When you're not in an LTE coverage area, SVDO enables simultaneous voice and data. (One of the iPhone 5 videos says that it supports SVDO, but the announcements haven't mentioned that it's still capable of the dual voice/data.)

In any event, Apple put the LTE and CDMA/EVDO together on one antenna, to save space, weight, and battery. As a result, there can't be dual voice/data while connected to LTE -- at least, not until LTE supports voice, which it will some day.

The real question will be, since the 5 allegedly supports SVDO, is whether you can get dual voice/data over 3G/EVDO.

Guess we'll see.
    09-14-2012 06:43 PM
    unfortunately it looks like it is.

As I understand it, the Android devices that support dual voice and data are 1) SVDO capable, and 2) have 2 antennas -- one for CDMA/EVDO, one for LTE.

LTE does not support voice at all, so the way it works is, when your data is pulled down via LTE, you can still use voice over the CDMA/EVDO antenna.

When you're not in an LTE coverage area, SVDO enables simultaneous voice and data. (One of the iPhone 5 videos says that it supports SVDO, but the announcements haven't mentioned that it's still capable of the dual voice/data.)

In any event, Apple put the LTE and CDMA/EVDO together on one antenna, to save space, weight, and battery. As a result, there can't be dual voice/data while connected to LTE -- at least, not until LTE supports voice, which it will some day.

The real question will be, since the 5 allegedly supports SVDO, is whether you can get dual voice/data over 3G/EVDO.

Guess we'll see.
    You're spot on with one caveat: The towers have to be SVDO capable... I don't believe Verizon got around to doing a lot of their towers to make SVDO work - I think they decided to forgo SVDO upgrades in favor of LTE deployment.
    09-14-2012 06:50 PM
    Sigh. Figures. Well, a buddy of mine who owns a Thunderbolt says he's able to get dual voice/data, even with LTE turned off. He lives in New Jersey, near Cherry Hill.

Maybe Verizon upgraded some of the towers around Philly.

Maybe.
    09-14-2012 06:52 PM
    Speculation... it's a battery consideration - keeping two radios lit up would kill battery.

revised: per the NY Times via Mac Rumors, Apple says it's an antennae thing... they opted not to include a 3rd antenna that would facilitate talk&surf.
    works fine on my gs3

apple will include it in the iphone 5s and say its a new feature
    09-14-2012 09:09 PM
    Sigh. Figures. Well, a buddy of mine who owns a Thunderbolt says he's able to get dual voice/data, even with LTE turned off. He lives in New Jersey, near Cherry Hill.

Maybe Verizon upgraded some of the towers around Philly.

Maybe.
    I am on sprint with the gs3. dont have LTE in my area yet. only 3g, and voice and data work at the same time.
    09-14-2012 09:18 PM
    works fine on my gs3

apple will include it in the iphone 5s and say its a new feature
    Not likely. By the time there's a new iPhone, Voice over LTE should be supported by carriers and Apple will have updated the iOS to support it, and the issue will no longer exist.
    09-14-2012 09:22 PM
    Not likely. By the time there's a new iPhone, Voice over LTE should be supported by carriers and Apple will have updated the iOS to support it, and the issue will no longer exist.
    Pretty much.
    09-14-2012 10:10 PM
    Have been looking at gs3 today on YouTube. Seems nice. Any of you used it? Thoughts, ideas, reviews? Seems like if I do decide to go that route, over iPhone 5, gs3 will be it.
    09-15-2012 12:02 AM
    Have been looking at gs3 today on YouTube. Seems nice. Any of you used it? Thoughts, ideas, reviews? Seems like if I do decide to go that route, over iPhone 5, gs3 will be it.
    I'm not saying this to be a smart a$$. But you should really check out Android Central. You'll get more feedback and info there.
    09-15-2012 12:10 AM
    Bought it to try it out and definitely like the phone. Great display, responsive, and works perfect without the need to root/rom. Oh yeah, excellent battery life. I returned it to wait on the iPhone 5 and currently use a nexus on VZW.
    09-15-2012 12:17 AM
    such a sad sad state. if only all the carriers would just play nice and make the world a better place but smh..... humans still have alot of cooperation to learn.....
    But since ill be switching to att sometime next year i guess i wont care for long
    09-15-2012 12:25 AM
    since the 5 allegedly supports SVDO, is whether you can get dual voice/data over 3G/EVDO.

Guess we'll see.
    Doesn't look like SVDO is supported nor VoLTE even becoming a possibility for i5:

"So onto the iPhone we know definitively that the iPhone 5 definitely doesn't support either SVDO or SVLTE. It's as simple as looking at the FCC documents and the appropriate sections in the allowed and tested simultaneous transmitters section for SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) testing. There, it's spelled out that only one air interface can be active at a time, and that only one antenna can be selected for transmit at a time.*There's also an explicitly called out mention to VoLTE not being supported*at present. I didn't replicate the entire table of simultaneous transmission combinations which need to be tested (it is a huge table) there are no entries with CDMA Voice being active at the same time as any data mode save WiFi. This has been confirmed as well by later statements by the carriers and Apple.*"

AnandTech - Why the iPhone 5 Lacks Support for Simultaneous Voice and LTE or EVDO (SVLTE, SVDO)
    09-15-2012 08:46 AM
    I will share my tale but I am sure there are literally thousands like me. So Tuesday night I am all ready to switch from AT&T to Verizon. I log into Zite and see articles on "verizon can't talk and surf simultanously. At first I think this can't be real because I thought LTE would take care of this. After some very long research and validation I determine I can't switch to Verizon because I use this feature all the time. Bottom line is Verizon choice to go CDMA bites them again. Verizon will again not get any new customers because of this.

Now do you feel apple left the 3rd antenna off the new iPhone 5 on purpose or do you really believe it just was a true manufacturing declension ?
    09-15-2012 09:27 AM
    Now do you feel apple left the 3rd antenna off the new iPhone 5 on purpose or do you really believe it just was a true manufacturing declension ?
    I don't emote over these things... after study, I've concluded it was done to keep the new device as thin as it is, and give the user a longer battery life. And being the kind of person I am, I will assure my needs for talk&surf are met when needed by solutions that don't involve my phone.
    09-15-2012 09:42 AM
    ...(snipped)...Verizon will again not get any new customers because of this.

...(snipped)...
    Are you serious?!? They will indeed acquire new customers. Why?

1. There will always be customers from competing networks who will switch because they are dissatisfied with their current provider's service.
    2. Service from competing networks may suck in certain areas whereas Verizon's service may not.
    3. Not everyone cares about not having the ability to simultaneous talk & surf.

I knew beforehand that the ability to simultaneously talk & surf was not possible with both Sprint & Verizon, but that didn't matter to me. I wanted a specific device that those carriers had and I got them and was happy with them. If I purchase the iPhone 5, I will do so because of what it can do and not for what it cannot do. Furthermore, I will remain with Verizon until I'm no longer satisfied with their service or I want a device that they do not provide, but that's Just Me, D....
    Fausty82 likes this.
    09-15-2012 10:02 AM
    I honestly think it was more a design/manufacturing decision than anything else.... but that being said, Apple can be very vindictive as a company at times. There's a hubris surrounding Apple that turns me off sometimes. After all, Verizon did pass on the iPhone originally and then launch an aggressive anti-iPhone/anti-AT&T campaign once it started to take off.

At the end of the day, it's the consumers that get punished the most with this -- regardless of whether you use the feature or not.

You have a choice -- infinitely superior call clarity on Verizon, or dual voice/data on AT&T. (Maybe "infinitely superior" is pushing it..... but it's night a day, comparing call clarity between the two networks.) Now Verizon has a larger and vaster LTE network than any other company, so you have that to choose as well.

PS Speaking of the largest LTE network -- is anyone irate when they see commercials for the "fastest and largest 4G network" from either T-Mobile or AT&T? People that don't know any better equate 4G and LTE. It pisses me off when I see that, for some reason.

/rant over/

Looking forward to receiving my iPhone on Friday -- even if I can't talk and surf at the same time. :-)
    09-15-2012 10:12 AM
    my goodness, have any of you ever used any LTE phone on Verizon? The iPhone is no different than any other Verizon LTE phone. My wife has Droid 4 and we get data and voice. The iPhone WILL support this because it's LTE...
    09-15-2012 12:06 PM
    my goodness, have any of you ever used any LTE phone on Verizon? The iPhone is no different than any other Verizon LTE phone. My wife has Droid 4 and we get data and voice. The iPhone WILL support this because it's LTE...
    No, it won't. Read. The. Thread. It's all explained.
    Fausty82 and trmoney24 like this.
    09-15-2012 12:08 PM
    No, it won't. Read. The. Thread. It's all explained.
    I see what you did there. You typed it slowly so he could keep up.
    09-15-2012 12:14 PM
    Just throwing it out there.. but if you're at home (or somewhere else) and connected to WiFi, you can get your simultaneous voice and data. Personally, I've never had an instance where I needed to use data and talk at the same time. I suspect part of that was my fear of my call dropping. T-minus 6 days until my AT&T honeymoon is over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    09-15-2012 01:27 PM
    Here is a question:

If/When Verizon goes to Voice over LTE (VoLTE), will the Iphone 5 be compatible? I've not seen any authoritative statement on whether the Iphone supports VoLTE.
    09-15-2012 03:43 PM
    Here is a question:

If/When Verizon goes to Voice over LTE (VoLTE), will the Iphone 5 be compatible? I've not seen any authoritative statement on whether the Iphone supports VoLTE.
    An iOS update will take care of that when the time comes.
    09-15-2012 03:45 PM
    The biggest problem I see with not having simultaneous voice and data is with iMessage. You won't get any iMessages if you are on the phone (And not on wifi). And I don't think iMessage falls back to SMS very elegantly...
    09-15-2012 03:51 PM
    iMessage isn't the biggest problem. The main issue I see is this: so you are driving in an unfamiliar area, using that nice turn by turn direction that finally arrived on the iPhone, and bam you get a call, you no longer are getting directions, as that uses data (at least to my understanding). That's just bs. My other big problem is, I need to access email all the time while on a phone call. I've been dealing cause I love my iPhone, but that may be over. Not to mention how I need to look stuff up online sometimes while on a call. Again I dealt cause I love Verizon and I was waiting for LTE. LTE came and I had to wait another year for iPhone to get it. It came and I can't get data and voice at the same time? I call BS! By the way, voice over LTE isn't due for like 2-4 more years, they are saying. That's a long time. We could be on iPhone 9 by then.
    09-15-2012 10:42 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD