It is a problem when the Apple explanation I posted above is considered. They didn't put enough antennae in the phone to light up the CDMA radio and LTE at the same time.
    I saw on the apple website in the video that the device has svdo capabilities. A friend of mine has the droid bionic & on 4g he has svdo. It's not that big of a deal but I'm getting into the kind of work & I'll need it. If the Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't support it, I'll be forced to go to a less superior network(AT&T)
    09-13-2012 10:27 PM
    I've had enough of the annoyances at times with the iPhone when navigating in traffic and talking to someone that the data updates are nice. I have several commutes where I would like the GPS app to update the route depending on travel and to be able to talk to family (so not distracted driving). This is most likely going to have me go back to Android. I refuse to go to AT&T and their backwards policies. Thanks for the short time using Apple.
    09-13-2012 10:30 PM
    That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. Apple eliminated the dual radios to make it super thin. Not to mention, by the time voice over LTE is widespread enough to call it useful, we'll be seeing the iphone 7 or 8 introduced anyhow. So, you're saying Apple did this because they are so advanced. So advanced that they built it for a network that doesn't exist? Yeah, that's great. the iphone 5 is a massive fail.
    I'll forget that you feel my statement is absurd and move on to your absurd statement that iPhone 5 is a massive fail.
    Watch as the people line up around the world to buy this massive fail. They made money when they had no 3G they made money when they had no 4G they money again with no 4G they will make money with no simultaneous voice and data. Dude wake up. I'll bet you will be in line or maybe you preordered.
    09-13-2012 10:33 PM
    They did it to save power , keep it thin , and to simplify the manufacturing process .. If they added it then people would complain about battery and wonder why .. It's a lose lose look at battery life on other platforms that can do this on Verizon

Me personally I never had it so it don't matter but I only think of one time where I could have used it lol but that is just me
    09-13-2012 10:35 PM
    Never cared. If I'm home or ANYWHERE WITH WI-FI you can still do voice and data. Simply can't do it over cellular.
    09-13-2012 10:40 PM
    It really is too bad. I'd like the option to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If I don't use it, no additional battery drain. But once again, Apple knows best and there are people that will back their decisions no matter what.

I will be getting one as a work phone on Verizon and I'm bummed to hear this "feature" left out. Guess my GS3 will continue to be my primary device.
    09-13-2012 10:49 PM
    I've used this more than ever in the last year while on 3G. I really want to switch to Verizon. But this has me seriously considering just staying with AT&T now. Sucks.
    09-14-2012 12:54 AM
    I hate AT&T. I have stayed with them because of surf and talk. I was so ready to go with Verizon, I was so happy until today at work I read the iPhone 5 will still not be able to surf and talk on Verizon. I agree if you never had it you don't know what you are missing, but I've had it and its a deal breaker.
    09-14-2012 01:31 AM
    Really is it that big of a deal? If you're Already using a iPhone 4 or 4S, you should be used to it. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice thing to do those simultaneously, but I wouldn't go as far as saying its a dealbreaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't think it was a big deal myself until my role changed at work. Now I'm on conference calls all the time and I'm often in situations where I need to send email, receive email or send a MMS to multiple people while on the phone and I can't do it because I'm not in WiFi range.

That doesn't totally kill the deal for me, but I was hoping for more...
    09-14-2012 01:43 AM
    I hate AT&T. I have stayed with them because of surf and talk. I was so ready to go with Verizon, I was so happy until today at work I read the iPhone 5 will still not be able to surf and talk on Verizon. I agree if you never had it you don't know what you are missing, but I've had it and its a deal breaker.
    Same with me, only I just say this sad news tonight (traveling all day). I guess I'll be staying with AT&T begrudgingly... I was all set to ditch them and even pay the ETF and go to vzw. But no go with non-simultaneous voice and data. My area doesn't have LTE for either carrier yet, so sticking with the HSPA option aka At&t might is really my best option anyway i guess. On the bright side, my iPad is AT&T LTE - so at least if I go shared data plan, both devices will be on same plan.

I was in MPLS airport today - and got LTE taste on my iPad today... Wow... SO FAST!!! can't wait for it to reach my area!!

So alas... Gonna have to stick with AT&T for iPhone 5...
    Last edited by LCW; 09-14-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    09-14-2012 02:26 AM
    I'll forget that you feel my statement is absurd and move on to your absurd statement that iPhone 5 is a massive fail.
    Watch as the people line up around the world to buy this massive fail. They made money when they had no 3G they made money when they had no 4G they money again with no 4G they will make money with no simultaneous voice and data. Dude wake up. I'll bet you will be in line or maybe you preordered.
    Ok, let me clarify the fail comment, sorry. I meant that in terms of technological advancements and moving ahead of the competition. They didn't introduce anything that hasn't been available on other platforms already. LTE, nav, 4" screen, panorama, stills while taking video, facetime over cell, all been done. Well, not facetime - skype, oovoo, etc. Anyhow, they are playing catch up.

I have no doubt they will sell tons and make tons of cash and be very successful. Just pointing out that they seem to have lost their edge when it comes to wowing us with new innovations.

On a side note, how is it that when Exxon Mobil or Bank of America or any public company other than Apple makes a ton of cash and profit, they are dirty rotten scoundrels but when Apple does it they are praised?
    09-14-2012 08:46 AM
    This is *incredibly* disappointing, and so frustrating, particularly when other devices, long available on CDMA networks, offer this feature.

It *is* relevant that other devices offer this feature, and have done so for so long. The HTC Thunderbolt was released shortly after the iPhone 4. That's technology that's almost 2 years old, that many people, I'm sure, have come to rely on. Of *course* that means it's relevant -- it's not even new technology!!

In my opinion, this was a huge mistake on Apple's part.

They're incorporating turn-by-turn maps with Siri support -- if I need to make a phone call on the road while using Apple's GPS, am I supposed to pull over? That's absolutely idiotic.

I commute every day on a train, and my internal modem on my laptop is 3G only -- and I can't upgrade. I frequently have to be on the phone while using my laptop's connection. I was hoping to be able to simply use my iPhone LTE Hotspot while maintaining the ability to make phone calls.

It's a feature I've been looking forward to ever since I knew the iPhone 5 would support LTE. I've been unwilling to sacrifice the quality of Verizon's network to switch to AT&T for the feature, prior to this.

I understand Apple's decision to place their focus on delivering a smaller, thinner phone. Makes perfect sense. Maybe this is my lack of understanding, however, when I say -- if there are already 2 antennas on the device, why the hell didn't they just split the CDMA and LTE antennas across what's already there?

I saw a post above that says the iPhone 5 supports SVDO -- again, if it does, why can't we use the simultaneous voice and data again??

I've pre-ordered my iPhone, and I'll deal, but I can't help but think this smacks of the Apple "we know better than you" attitude that the company seems to be adopting more and more over the years. I like Apple, and I think they've done some great things. I'll always buy the products from them that I believe are the best on the market. But I get really, really frustrated with them at times.

Very disappointed.
    09-14-2012 09:08 AM
    I have talked up Verizon for so long I feel i should be paid. And yet, I'm sticking with AT&T. This data and voice issue is a deal breaker for me.

I'm sure the area I work in will get AT&T LTE before end of year so it's not all bad. I'll grab a verizon ipad later after seeing any october announcement which should help with any tethering or facetime issues.

AT&T does have better voice options as well. Conference calling for one. Here's a link. Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4S and the limitations of CDMA | iMore.com and iPhone: Understanding phone features
    09-14-2012 09:25 AM
    I'm guessing those that are current vzw iPhone customers have learned to live without it or at least accept it. For those of us on AT&T it's hard to go back to not having simultaneous voice & data. I'm asking myself if I could do without - as I considered jumping ship from AT&T to VZW. Not sure I can...
    09-14-2012 10:05 AM
    I'm guessing those that are current vzw iPhone customers have learned to live without it or at least accept it.
    That's only true if one had a device capable of it on Verizon... most Verizon users have never even had a device capable of talk&surf.

There are solutions to this if one is willing...

If you already have a Verizon LTE iPad - and are on a Share Everything plan - you can tether your iPhone to use your iPad as a wifi hotspot and talk&surf until you're blue in the face from talking and your fingers bleed from surfing - and it won't cost you anything more.
    trmoney24 likes this.
    09-14-2012 10:29 AM
    That's only true if one had a device capable of it on Verizon... most Verizon users have never even had a device capable of talk&surf.
    If they're anything like me, they waited to upgrade to an LTE device, with this feature expected, until the iPhone was LTE capable.

I may go your solution's route -- maybe. But I'll be going for the iPad Mini. Hoping those are LTE capable and support hotspot tethering.
    09-14-2012 10:33 AM
    Not once have I needed to simultaneously talk & surf while on 3G and that is usually when I'm away from home. When I'm at home, I'm normally on Wi-Fi and we all know that we can talk & surf while on Wi-Fi. Still, I understand that the ability to simultaneously talk & surf is a deal breaker to some, but it's a non-issue for me.
    ^My sentiments exactly
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-14-2012 11:13 AM
    ^My sentiments exactly
    I would 100% agree with this sentiment, before the Apple developed its own mapping and turn by turn GPS software. I think we may see a lot more people needing this feature.
    09-14-2012 12:13 PM
    I would 100% agree with this sentiment, before the Apple developed its own mapping and turn by turn GPS software. I think we may see a lot more people needing this feature.
    I realize I'm one of the few that thinks this way... but if I absolutely needed to have the capability to "talk&surf" away from a desktop computer with internet - my surf solution would not depend on my phone... I'd use a laptop with a USB cellular network interface, or mifi, or iPad...
    Last edited by kch50428; 09-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
    09-14-2012 12:21 PM
    I realize I'm one of the few that thinks this way... but if I absolutely needed to have the capability to "talk&surf" away from a desktop computer with internet - my surf solution would not depend on my phone... I'd use a laptop with a USB cellular network interface, or mifi, or iPad...
    Exactly! If I'm at home and I need to look up information for someone I'm talking to with my iPhone, I have my iPad and MacBook readily available to assist. If a time ever comes where I need to do the same while I'm away from my home and without available Wi-Fi, I will simply tell the caller that I will call them back when I get the information they seek. The people I associate with will say, "okay and thank you".
    kch50428 likes this.
    09-14-2012 12:28 PM
    Honestly, this isn't really a big deal for me as I don't use my phone for talking much.. Heh. And if I do its usually so brief that I wouldn't need to be surfing the internet. If I am on the phone I am usually in front of or have access to a laptop.
    09-14-2012 12:29 PM
    Honestly, this isn't really a big deal for me as I don't use my phone for talking much.. Heh. And if I do its usually so brief that I wouldn't need to be surfing the internet. If I am on the phone I am usually in front of or have access to a laptop.
    The only reason I still preordered it was because I'm in the exact same situation. Was just hoping I could use my iPhone 5 hotspot to get LTE on the laptop, rather than my slow 3G WWAN.

BUT -- I do think we will see this become a much bigger issue for people who want to use the turn-by-turn GPS and maps while driving.

I have built-in nav in my car, so again, not an issue for me. I'm just bummed, but it's not a dealbreaker.
    09-14-2012 12:31 PM

There are solutions to this if one is willing...

If you already have a Verizon LTE iPad - and are on a Share Everything plan - you can tether your iPhone to use your iPad as a wifi hotspot and talk&surf until you're blue in the face from talking and your fingers bleed from surfing - and it won't cost you anything more.

Yeah, a solution that costs $500 for the ipad plus another $10/month for the plan. Not to mention, if you already have an lte ipad, why would you need to be surfing on the phone anyhow? Just use the ipad. amazing the excuses people will make to defend apple.
    09-14-2012 02:36 PM
    amazing the excuses people will make to defend apple.
    Just as amazing are the excuses one will use to bash Apple...

As I noted above, were mobile talk & surf truly essential to me, I'd have a solution that didn't involve my phone... sorry for me being too practical.
    09-14-2012 02:39 PM
    my problem is that I like to be able to send and receive pics while im on the phone sometimes and the iPhone 5 cant do this....even on wifi......
    09-14-2012 05:51 PM
96 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD