why couldn't iphone 5/io6 deliver????

gpodes

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Before I get bashed here we are an apple house - iPhones, iPads, ATV, MacBook so I love the ecosystem but I was really hoping to get some basic features I had from my Android I gave up 3 years ago to move to iPhone. The new 5 looks great, no issues but I was hoping for more from iOS 6 or at least stop blocking some basic app development. The things I wish for: better keyboard w/ better spell check (see Swiftkey), a calendar that utilizes categories (i.e. work mtg, personal mtg, phone call, etc) from exchange (touchdown email), Separate signatures (one for work, one for personal, one for whatever?) why only 1 option built into email - the apps that allow this are not integrated well. please for the love of god, why can't I lock certain folders or apps (so when my kids are playing on my phone or pad I don't have to worry they will stumble onto my Facebook or email - I want to lock them!!), that leads me to why am I capped on how many apps can fit in a folder??? I like less clutter, so instead of 1 folder w/ all my kids games in it I have to have 4...makes NO sense...

Are these things too crazy to expect? Seem pretty basic, would I like widgets...yes, but they say it causes battery drain so I can accept that answer...the above, no logical reasons why not

Just venting I guess but also if anyone knows of apps (w/out jailbreaking) that will enable the above please let me know....I search often but never find solutions.....oh how I wish os6 was going to address these...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why can't these redundant threads stop?

Just out of curiosity...is there a reason why you want to avoid jailbreaking your iPhone to easily achieve some of the obstacles you're describing? I'm guessing some of them are probably fixable without a jailbreak, but i know ALL of them are fixable (for free mind you) with a jailbreak.

Last edited:

gpodes

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess the redundent threads could stop, probably an easy fix - after I wrote the 1st one I realized this section seems to get a lot more activity so I re-posted. It did get a response quicker here so in a sense it worked...

I don't believe any of these items can be fixed without jailbreaking (except it appears ios6 will allow multiple email sigs).

Why won't I jailbreak, I guess I follow the rules by nature...same reason I pay for songs, tv shows and movies via itunes. I know there are bit torrents out there that do the same things for free but I don't need the hassles....Plus I am not very technical and although it seems easy enough to jailbreak I don't want to risk messing it up and then Apple not supporting it....Make sense? I usually upgrade to the latest ios when they come out, doesn't that mess up with a jailbroken phone? Those are the types of concerns I have...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess the redundent threads could stop, probably an easy fix - after I wrote the 1st one I realized this section seems to get a lot more activity so I re-posted. It did get a response quicker here so in a sense it worked...

I don't believe any of these items can be fixed without jailbreaking (except it appears ios6 will allow multiple email sigs).

Why won't I jailbreak, I guess I follow the rules by nature...same reason I pay for songs, tv shows and movies via itunes. I know there are bit torrents out there that do the same things for free but I don't need the hassles....Plus I am not very technical and although it seems easy enough to jailbreak I don't want to risk messing it up and then Apple not supporting it....Make sense? I usually upgrade to the latest ios when they come out, doesn't that mess up with a jailbroken phone? Those are the types of concerns I have...

There is nothing illegal about jailbreaking though...nor does it break any rules that would jeopardize your warranty (considering the jailbreak is 100% reversible). Jailbreaks don't require any kind of technical know how, in fact, most of the popular customizations are done as simply as you find downloading an app in the app store. The jailbreaks are typically not available for the newest iOS releases for a little while AFTER the release, but it's typically not very long, and honestly, as far as i know, when the major releases are put out (IE: iOS 6), they've had it jailbroken for some time now, meaning the wait time after it is officially released will be almost non-existant.

The idea that a jailbreak is some how "wrong" still baffles me, but i can understand why a person would think so, there's a weird (and frankly inaccurate) stigma around jailbreaking, perhaps its the name, or the old association it has as being something only app pirates and hackers do. I bet if they renamed it, it'd lose some of that "danger" factor related to it.

gpodes

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
thanks Fausty, I caught that after my post....very happy about that! I guess my request just seem so simple and basic as I had them over 3 yrs ago with another phone. I'm not asking for NFC, etc....just some basic business rich features. As I said I am not bashing it....this is the 1st phone I had for over 2 years since I could remember....when I was on blackberry I switch for every latest version and same w/ android phones....it's actually nice not having to pay retail for once! I am sure I'll get the 5 once it's out and about (pre-order not needed for me) but I just want Swiftkey type keyboard, lock some folders, etc..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
thanks Fausty, I caught that after my post....very happy about that! I guess my request just seem so simple and basic as I had them over 3 yrs ago with another phone. I'm not asking for NFC, etc....just some basic business rich features. As I said I am not bashing it....this is the 1st phone I had for over 2 years since I could remember....when I was on blackberry I switch for every latest version and same w/ android phones....it's actually nice not having to pay retail for once! I am sure I'll get the 5 once it's out and about (pre-order not needed for me) but I just want Swiftkey type keyboard, lock some folders, etc..

A 10sec. jailbreak and downloading "Lockdown" will solve your folder lock woes...and you would literally never know (outside of that feature) that your phone was jailbroken.

gpodes

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
thanks sean...i'll look into how to jailbreak my current iphone and see how it goes and then hopefully do the same w/ the new one. Any chance you know of a calendar program that allows categories? I use these for work religiously and it would be great to fix that.

thanks again

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
thanks sean...i'll look into how to jailbreak my current iphone and see how it goes and then hopefully do the same w/ the new one. Any chance you know of a calendar program that allows categories? I use these for work religiously and it would be great to fix that.

thanks again

You only have a few more days to wait for iOS 6...you might as well just hold off to jailbreak until then and you'll also have your calendar fix as well.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Answer = Jailbreaking is wrong because of the words Jail & Break. If it was called how to "Fluffy Kitten" your iPhone 3/4 of the issues would stop. Just a name change!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices