iPhone 5 and unlimited data plan

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok I think this is what is being discussed but not sure. MY line is eligible for an upgrade....I am not going to use it because I don't want to lose unlimited......if I "transfer" the upgrade to my mom, can she get a new phone WITHOUT me losing my unlimited data?

Last edited:

iJDR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok I think this is what is being discussed but not sure. MY line is eligible for an upgrade....I am not going to use it because I don't want to lose unlimited......if I "transfer" the upgrade to my mom, can she get a new phone WITHOUT me losing my unlimited data?

Yeah, the only thing is that your line will renew

epphllps

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site

You can't give your upgrade to her which is what I think you are asking. The upgrade will go through your line of service and you will lose unlimited as a result even if you never activate the phone on your line. You will never be able to use YOUR upgrade and keep unlimited data. Sucks but the only loophole is having a secondary line available and using that upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

iJDR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You can't give your upgrade to her which is what I think you are asking. The upgrade will go through your line of service and you will lose unlimited as a result even if you never activate the phone on your line. You will never be able to use YOUR upgrade and keep unlimited data. Sucks but the only loophole is having a secondary line available and using that upgrade.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This is false...the only responsibility the transferrer takes on is the actual renewal, the transferee gets the plan change and new phone.

You can always transfer and keep unlimited data...I've done it twice, last time was 2 weeks ago with a Galaxy Nexus

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So as long as I transfer the upgrade to her, and she activates the new phone on HER line, then my unlimited data will NOT go away?

Right?

williambacky

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I checked every possible scenario with Verizon. A Verizon manager in NY advised that when your contract expires (the 2 years is up) it does not matter what you have done- i.e.,bought a 5 at full price, even if you are grandfathered! The grandfathering will end and you will lose unlimited data because you moved to 4g.������

Eventually, they will get you since at some point there will be no more 3G phones. In the best case scenario, you will only be postponing the inevitable.

HOWEVER, I CALLED VERIZON WIRELESS TO CONFIRM THE ABOVE AND A SUPERVISOR STATED THE ABOVE IS INCORRECT! MISINFORMATION!

I did the Pre-Order with Verizon and it was on a line that had an upgrade. When I went through the order process it prompted me if I wanted to have a 2 year agreement or month to month. I choose month to month and it let me keep my unlimited data.

beto89

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the Pre-Order with Verizon and it was on a line that had an upgrade. When I went through the order process it prompted me if I wanted to have a 2 year agreement or month to month. I choose month to month and it let me keep my unlimited data.

same here. Glad that they at least made it clear online.

elgerber

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I just ordered through Verizon and as soon as I selected the phone and hit next I got a pop up saying my unlimited plan is no longer available.
It's not that big of a deal, I don't use 2GB anyway, but it didn't give me any options, and I am going to need one of my other upgrades for a family members phone, so I didn't really have a choice.

templetonryecy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered through Verizon and as soon as I selected the phone and hit next I got a pop up saying my unlimited plan is no longer available.
It's not that big of a deal, I don't use 2GB anyway, but it didn't give me any options, and I am going to need one of my other upgrades for a family members phone, so I didn't really have a choice.

Anyone else getting this? What's the deal? Verizon website is not letting me keep my unlimited data when I try to upgrade at full price...it's never done this before.

Not happy!

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Pel: I've heard that if you transfer an upgrade, you can keep your unlimited data - is that true? My parents are both on my plan and my Dad said I can transfer his upgrade if I'll give him my 4S (done deal haha)...

I do that with my wife's iPhone. Every year I get a new iPhone, because my wife gives me her upgrade on her year that she is eligible for an upgrade.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It appears that Verizon customers who still have unlimited data plans will be able to keep those plans if they buy the new iPhone at full price. I'm one of those people, and I'm seriously considering buying the 16 GB version at full cost so I can keep my data plan and then tether my iPad to my iPhone. Is anyone else out there thinking of doing the same thing?

Verizon: Subsidized iPhone 5 or Unlimited Data, Not Both

Yupp. My total was $786.45 and that data dang sure did say "unlimited". Worth every penny.

Sent from my i4 using Tapatalk

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't able to. I ordered through Verizon and was forced to pick a data plan - unlimited was not an option. Once I get the device, I am going to go to the store and see if they will allow me to switch back to my old plan, considering I purchased at full price.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't able to. I ordered through Verizon and was forced to pick a data plan - unlimited was not an option. Once I get the device, I am going to go to the store and see if they will allow me to switch back to my old plan, considering I purchased at full price.

Doubt it. Once you switch, I'm pretty sure there will be no option to switch back.

templetonryecy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Yeah that is messed up. It's never done that for me before. And I order a lot of phones at full retail (don't ask lol).

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that is messed up. It's never done that for me before. And I order a lot of phones at full retail (don't ask lol).

Same! I usually get a new device every year... so every other year I'm paying full price. My store at home would definitely have given me my unlimited plan, but I ordered online and am also away at college... so the local store has no idea who I am.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
When it comes to unlimited plans, people really seem to be foolish. Why in the world would you pay full price for a phone just to keep the unlimited plan? Is it because you are using 50 GB per month, or is it because you lay awake at night worrying about how much data you have left on your plan?

The 4 GB share everything plan is $70. The 10 GB plan is $100. That's $30 per month more if you were to use 10 GB, which I doubt people are using. That's $360 per year more *IF* you really use 10 GB of data.

So you would rather pay full price (an extra $450) just so you can march around bragging about unlimited data? Seems just pound foolish to me....

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
When it comes to unlimited plans, people really seem to be foolish. Why in the world would you pay full price for a phone just to keep the unlimited plan? Is it because you are using 50 GB per month, or is it because you lay awake at night worrying about how much data you have left on your plan?

The 4 GB share everything plan is $70. The 10 GB plan is $100. That's $30 per month more if you were to use 10 GB, which I doubt people are using. That's $360 per year more *IF* you really use 10 GB of data.

So you would rather pay full price (an extra $450) just so you can march around bragging about unlimited data? Seems just pound foolish to me....

I paid full price because I didn't have an upgrade available until the middle of next year....

brina042

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried ordering through Verizon at full retail and it would not give me the unlimited data option. I went to Apple.com and it let me no problems. Order through Apple if you are having trouble and want to keep unlimited like me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen