iPhone 5 and unlimited data plan

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That is absolutely not the case. Verizon has already said that if you're willing to pay full price you can upgrade to 4g from a 3g phone. How do I know this? I did it last week, I got a RAZR maxx after having an iPhone.

I checked every possible scenario with Verizon. A Verizon manager in NY advised that when your contract expires (the 2 years is up) it does not matter what you have done- i.e.,bought a 5 at full price, even if you are grandfathered! The grandfathering will end and you will lose unlimited data because you moved to 4g.������

Eventually, they will get you since at some point there will be no more 3G phones. In the best case scenario, you will only be postponing the inevitable.

HOWEVER, I CALLED VERIZON WIRELESS TO CONFIRM THE ABOVE AND A SUPERVISOR STATED THE ABOVE IS INCORRECT! MISINFORMATION!

Last edited:
Reactions: beeray

MBarry07

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
If you add another line to your plan then doesn't that force you into the shared data plan (verizon of course)?

Not necessarily, you can still opt for the 700 min or 1400 share plan (or Loyalty 500). They would just prefer you to switch to a share data plan because that makes Verizon more money. I have 3 iPhones on my plan and none of us share data.

mummer43

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Probably going to toss in my unlimited data and opt for the $30 for 2GB that I was told previous customers could get...my avg data use is 800mb - 1gig.

Share Everything would cost me a lot more per month...and if I was forced into that I would pay retail.

Can you please clarify what you mean? Prior Verizon customers will get 2GB for $30??

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm transferring from a line that already has 2 for 30 so no loss and my gain lol

Pel: I've heard that if you transfer an upgrade, you can keep your unlimited data - is that true? My parents are both on my plan and my Dad said I can transfer his upgrade if I'll give him my 4S (done deal haha)...

rdogger#CB

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I dont think it will stay unlimited if u change the name on the primary account. If you can then ill take ur account.
Where are u planing on going next?

I am going to find out if Verizon allows keeping of unlimited data during an AOL, I am planning to go with att, so I can have access to unlocked international devices.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Pel: I've heard that if you transfer an upgrade, you can keep your unlimited data - is that true? My parents are both on my plan and my Dad said I can transfer his upgrade if I'll give him my 4S (done deal haha)...

Yes the line that loses the unlimited is the one that signs a new contact

Not the one who actually gets the phone

Flip side is don't let anyone ever use your actual lines upgrade or bye bye unlimited lol

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes the line that loses the unlimited is the one that signs a new contact

Not the one who actually gets the phone

Flip side is don't let anyone ever use your actual lines upgrade or bye bye unlimited lol

Ok good, that's what I've been banking on... I appreciate you getting back to me!

We are switching over to the share everything plan in February, so it'll be bye bye unlimited data anyway... The only good thing will be neither of my parents are heavy data users so I'll have the majority of the data pool to myself... I know I won't use more than 5 gigs (with LTE or not)...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok good, that's what I've been banking on... I appreciate you getting back to me!

We are switching over to the share everything plan in February, so it'll be bye bye unlimited data anyway... The only good thing will be neither of my parents are heavy data users so I'll have the majority of the data pool to myself... I know I won't use more than 5 gigs (with LTE or not)...

I called my Verizon store to ask about opening time etc on fri they tried to tell me that Verizon updated there system and can not do alternate upgrades anymore ..they told me I would lose my unlimited I was like hmm no lol there dumb cuz they don't realize I can use the upgrade regardless and tell them to activate on the other line for 30 sec and then do a esn swap lol
She was like oh we'll we can see what we can do .. This is why I'll go down there vs pre order
I think its messed up Verizon is trying to block every way to keep unlimited it's just dirty lol

kfreeman_23

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It appears that Verizon customers who still have unlimited data plans will be able to keep those plans if they buy the new iPhone at full price. I'm one of those people, and I'm seriously considering buying the 16 GB version at full cost so I can keep my data plan and then tether my iPad to my iPhone. Is anyone else out there thinking of doing the same thing?

Verizon: Subsidized iPhone 5 or Unlimited Data, Not Both
Yes i will be doing the same thing!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess from what I'm told alternate upgrades won't save your unlimited

But if you process the upgrade on the line that has the upgrade then swap it after you will save your unlimited .. For now unless Verizon blocks it by the 21st

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I guess from what I'm told alternate upgrades won't save your unlimited

But if you process the upgrade on the line that has the upgrade then swap it after you will save your unlimited .. For now unless Verizon blocks it by the 21st

Damn... Oh well... I don't really use over 2 gigs of data as it is... I can make 2 gigs work until we switch over to the new plan... Thanks again for the heads up!

iJDR

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
When you order a phone from a transferred upgrade and try to activate it on another line, the phone is automatically listed as used...meaning that it can be added to ANY line whilst still maintaining the original plan

My advice: Sacrifice a line to a tiered plan (even better if you already have a tiered line that you can just roll over), then activate it on the unlimited plan

elgerber

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Does the idea of transferring an upgrade work if all the other phones on my plan are dumb phones? Is it possible to upgrade with one of those lines (and not sign up for the share everything ) then switch it to my line and cancel a data plan right away?

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Wow, the last time I was on this forum this place was TIPB.com. I was here on Verizon iPhone night. Such fun!

ANYWAY, as for the issue here. I too plan on trying the loophole. We have a dumb phone line that is upgrade eligible. I will buy the iPhone 5 on that line + the $30 data plan. I will get the phone here, go to a Verizon store, take the iPhone 5 off that line, put it on my PRIMARY line (unlimited data) and put the dumb phone back on it's original line, then cancel data. Data is not contractual. You can cancle data on a basic phone anytime.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, the last time I was on this forum this place was TIPB.com. I was here on Verizon iPhone night. Such fun!

ANYWAY, as for the issue here. I too plan on trying the loophole. We have a dumb phone line that is upgrade eligible. I will buy the iPhone 5 on that line + the $30 data plan. I will get the phone here, go to a Verizon store, take the iPhone 5 off that line, put it on my PRIMARY line (unlimited data) and put the dumb phone back on it's original line, then cancel data. Data is not contractual. You can cancle data on a basic phone anytime.

Yup that will work ..

elgerber

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
One more question. If I do upgrade on a dumb phone and transfer, what happens to the available upgrade on my line? It stays on my line? And then if someone in my family needed a phone that would kill my unlimited anyway?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
When you order a phone from a transferred upgrade and try to activate it on another line, the phone is automatically listed as used...meaning that it can be added to ANY line whilst still maintaining the original plan

My advice: Sacrifice a line to a tiered plan (even better if you already have a tiered line that you can just roll over), then activate it on the unlimited plan

Not when you transfer your upgrade from another line Verizon made there system detect it

Go ahead and try online transfer the upgrade to your line select a 4g phone ..

Bam box says unlimited data is not avail select a new plan and has the 2 for 30 option

Only way is complete the upgrade on the line that has the upgrade aka sacrificing unlimited on that line if you have or if not then no biggie after that is complete
Then take the iPhone 5 and put on your number and put old device back on the line you upgraded

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
One more question. If I do upgrade on a dumb phone and transfer, what happens to the available upgrade on my line? It stays on my line? And then if someone in my family needed a phone that would kill my unlimited anyway?

Yup pretty much once a contact is signed for your line bye bye unlimited so just act like you don't have a upgrade lol

Elaine5006

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It appears that Verizon customers who still have unlimited data plans will be able to keep those plans if they buy the new iPhone at full price. I'm one of those people, and I'm seriously considering buying the 16 GB version at full cost so I can keep my data plan and then tether my iPad to my iPhone. Is anyone else out there thinking of doing the same thing?

Verizon: Subsidized iPhone 5 or Unlimited Data, Not Both
Can you tether an AT&T ipad to a Verizon iphone5?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen