I pay $40/month on AT&T. That's $10 for talk and $30 for unlimited data, and don't pay for SMS. I could save $10 by going to the cheapest plan, but always go over 300 MB. 301 MB costs the same as 3 GB or unlimited. I have gone over 3 GB but never have to worry about getting charged for it, so that's why I hold onto it. I buy a new iPhone for $199 every year and sell my old one to pay for it.
    I was referring to the Verizon customers paying full price for the iPhone 5 to hold on to Unlimited data.
    09-15-2012 08:47 PM
    I paid full retail price, and gladly did so, to keep my unlimited. Why?? Because Verizon's 3G is slow enough that if I want to watch something on YouTube or Netflix, most of the time I will say....I will just wait until I get home on my WiFi so it won't buffer. And I still use 3GB a month.......

Now, with 4G, there will be no waiting.....so I, and others as well probably, will use more data over 4G because you can do more over 4G. I actually live kinda in the country and the fastest DSL speed I can get is roughly 2Mbps (I know, don't laugh) but I have about 2 bars of 4G here and I get around 5-6Mbps. So when I get my iPhone 5, I'll use 4G and not Wifi. So my data use will be even more. I predict I will use somewhere between 6-8GB per month with the new iPhone.
    09-15-2012 09:42 PM
    I don't use hardly any data im mostly on wifi its not a big deal if I lose it but I'm not going to voluntary just give it away if there is a way for me to keep it without buying full retail ..
    09-15-2012 09:47 PM
    I don't use hardly any data im mostly on wifi its not a big deal if I lose it but I'm not going to voluntary just give it away if there is a way for me to keep it without buying full retail ..
    Yeah, I was in the same boat. However I did end up tossing it away. My data usage over the last 6 months has been 800mb...and I haven't went over 1gb. So I'll be okay with 2gb. It's really only a matter of time before they force your hand, in my opinion.
    rustymini likes this.
    09-15-2012 09:50 PM
    I paid full retail price, and gladly did so, to keep my unlimited. Why?? Because Verizon's 3G is slow enough that if I want to watch something on YouTube or Netflix, most of the time I will say....I will just wait until I get home on my WiFi so it won't buffer. And I still use 3GB a month.......

Now, with 4G, there will be no waiting.....so I, and others as well probably, will use more data over 4G because you can do more over 4G. I actually live kinda in the country and the fastest DSL speed I can get is roughly 2Mbps (I know, don't laugh) but I have about 2 bars of 4G here and I get around 5-6Mbps. So when I get my iPhone 5, I'll use 4G and not Wifi. So my data use will be even more. I predict I will use somewhere between 6-8GB per month with the new iPhone.
    Just wait. Verizon can and will start throttling the top data users. Then the people who paid full price for the phone are gonna flip. However, they have no obligation to provide unlimited data at top speeds.
    09-15-2012 10:48 PM
    Pure speculation at this point. Just because AT&T does, doesn't mean Verizon will. They still do certain things very differently. So your blanket statement "they can and will throttle" is opinionated.
    09-15-2012 10:59 PM
    Pure speculation at this point. Just because AT&T does, doesn't mean Verizon will. They still do certain things very differently. So your blanket statement "they can and will throttle" is opinionated.
    Perhaps it is opinionated (as is 90% of stuff said on this or any forum)... but that doesn't preclude it's inevitability.
    09-15-2012 11:26 PM
    Next month Verizon will strip all unlimited data users and force them to a tear plan one day after your 14 day return period is expired lol
    09-15-2012 11:59 PM
    Really when it comes to it, if you're willing to front the money for a full retail, more power to you. I am sadly dropping unlimited because I don't have the $800 for a phone upfront. That's fine, I understand.

If you're on month-to-month, as I have been for over a year, in all reality, Verizon could contact you and say, "sorry but we no longer offer your current plan. Please select one of our new plans and get a new device at a discounted price." Blah blah blah.

Yes, would they see backlash? Of course. But is it possible...you bet.
    rustymini likes this.
    09-16-2012 01:29 AM
    If i add a line to my bro inlaws verizon account, will it be unlimited data like his two other lines? If its not, will it still be worth doing compared to opening my own separate account and line? I have sprint now and i have no bars in and around my house what so ever. So i might go to verizon and save/ freeze my sprint account for a while. What do all you guys think of this plan?
    09-16-2012 02:35 AM
    No it won't be unlimited
    If he's one a older plan data will be 30 for 2 gig ...

Def sharing a family plan is cheaper all around then having one phone on your own account ..

Remember adding a line to his account he signs a contract just like sprint .. If you cancel you will get etf
    09-16-2012 04:56 AM
    Have you guys seen that they are making three different versions of the
    iPhone 5? What are your thoughts on this? You can check out the article
    about it here: Why Apple Made Three iPhone 5 Models and What That Means For You | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
    09-16-2012 05:58 AM
    After weighing the pros and the cons, I'm going to part with my unlimited data plan and go for the 4GB plan (including hotspot) when I'm eligible to upgrade. It comes out to a little more than I'm paying now and should be enough data. I worry that because I'll use LTE more (and also will be tethering my iPad), I might go through the data fast. If that happens, I'll just add more data to the plan. Or I could just jump to AT&T and get 5GB...nah, I'll stick with Big Red.
    09-16-2012 09:24 AM
    In general, I think people are foolish about wanting to hold on to unlimited plans. Most people don't use more than a few GB per month but will run through a wall to keep their unlimited data plans.

P.S. If a few 10's of dollars per month is really gonna hurt, then I don't know where you are pulling $688 from...
    Maybe to you, yes. To me, no. I'm not around wifi that isn't through work where IS blocks 90% of what's available online. Anything I need to do online I do on my phone whether it be streaming Netflix or Sirius or checking other sites. I'd rather shell out the $ to keep my data than shell out more $ every month and having to constantly worry about going over my allowance. I did the math and it's cheaper in the long run to keep unlimited data as long as I am allowed to.

I do wonder when unlimited data will dissapear all together
    Sooner rather than later I'd imagine.
    09-17-2012 09:29 AM
    In order to buy the 5 at the discounted price from Verizon, I was willing to give up unlimited data because a analysis shows that I don't use much data. Numerous Verizon reps and supervisors confirmed that all I had to do was switch to the family shared plan and add a line and then move the new line to my iPad. Tis way, i would be eligibile for a new phone each year with staggering eligibility. Well, my new phone was delivered to my office this morning and I immediately called Verizon. Asked for a supervisor to make sure no glitches and as recommended in this thread, I didn't turn the phone on.

The supervisor supposedly put my new phone on my old line and then transferred me to the iPad dept. the rep. There told me stuff that didn't make sense regarding the transfer of the new line and its activation regarding eligibility for discounted price plus future eligibility so I asked for a supervisor.

I got transferred to a plain old rep and they transferred to a rep in a different dept, etc. after 5 transfers and nearly 2 hours later, I got the right supervisor. He confirmed the process was correct but investigated and determined was a problem switching the 5 to my old number since after 2 plus hours, it had not happened.

Now, he has to call me back and said it an take 5 hours or more to remedy the problem and then we would have to go back to deal with the iPad issue. The iPad may be a further problem as well because I had tried to set up the other line a few weeks ago and to make a long story short, it was determined that I needed a new SIM card to activate it and Verizon would probably have to mail me one. Why didn't they do it already?

The bottom line is Verizon sucks!
    09-25-2012 03:15 PM
    In general, I think people are foolish about wanting to hold on to unlimited plans. Most people don't use more than a few GB per month but will run through a wall to keep their unlimited data plans.

P.S. If a few 10's of dollars per month is really gonna hurt, then I don't know where you are pulling $688 from...
    "In general", you're going on generalizing which doesn't fit the bill, in general. Three phones, just over 3GB per month between all three, and yet, we hang on to the unlimited plan. Why? Because our bill will go up $40 a month in order to get less data usage. Sure, we'll get unlimited talking. Wow. We have 1400 mins per month that we've never gone over half of the minutes; going on three years. So, it's not "running through a wall". It's different for a lot of people, vs being some generalization about users that aren't willing to lose the unlimited plan because we're foolish. What is foolish is that people like to generalize situations.
    Just wait. Verizon can and will start throttling the top data users. Then the people who paid full price for the phone are gonna flip. However, they have no obligation to provide unlimited data at top speeds.
    If that happens, then we cancel the lines that are already off contract, and move on to other options. No biggie there.
    After weighing the pros and the cons, I'm going to part with my unlimited data plan and go for the 4GB plan (including hotspot) when I'm eligible to upgrade. It comes out to a little more than I'm paying now and should be enough data. I worry that because I'll use LTE more (and also will be tethering my iPad), I might go through the data fast. If that happens, I'll just add more data to the plan. Or I could just jump to AT&T and get 5GB...nah, I'll stick with Big Red.
    So, you're willing to pay more for less services? Then you're willing to pay even more when you go beyond what you've already paid "more for less"? What aspect of getting rid of the unlimited plan is and going for the higher priced tier, is beneficial to you?
    09-25-2012 05:16 PM
    I want to take over your line jsmooth88
    10-18-2012 05:34 AM
92 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD