Black iPhone 5, how sturdy is the paint?

alexWithPhone

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

it seems the black iPhone 5 will have the metal back and the side rails all painted black. I think this looks good, but I'm concerned that the paint will rub or scratch off eventually. With my previous two iPhones I was impressed how they looked close to new after two years in my pocket, and I hope the 3rd one will, too.

Do you have experience with other Apple painted metal surfaces, for example the iPod shuffle/nanos? How sturdy is the paint?

Thanks,
Alex

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I read about how they color iPods, and the color is fused into the metal somehow. I don't think it'll flake. My shuffle never did.

GPAbsinthe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
And it's not like they explain that in the video you can find on the Home page of Apple's website since this afternoon...

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
That's the word I couldn't remember. Yeah, it's buried in the [URL="https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2012/09/12Apple-Introduces-iPhone-5/#mn_p]press release[/URL]:
iPhone 5 is the thinnest smartphone in the world, with an all-new 7.6 mm anodized aluminum body that is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than iPhone 4S. Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish. (emphasis added)
Chamfered!

phil7900000

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
hi alex funny u should say that had mine for 4 weeks now and it looks a mess all chipped and rubbed off im reaaly not happy with phone just hope ive got a bad batch lol its booked into apple so i think they wil replace it

alexWithPhone

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I can answer my own question after having a black phone after 4 weeks. No, the black color is not sturdy at all. Especially around the sharp edges. If it has contact with anything hard, the bare aluminum is showing in an instant. I have other anodized things, like Calphalon pots, and no rough handling ca expose the metal.
Oddly, the all-black 5 looks less sophisticated than the silver+black 4/4S phones. I hope they will have the silver+black ones back next time around.

Regards,
Alex

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine's been naked for a couple weeks now - holding up rather well. Ever so slight signs of wear or little nicks. Maybe 2 little tiny specks that have popped up.

But to me it's worth it not to hide it under a case. Feels so much better. I always pocket it, and if I lay it on a table I brush it off first with my hand.

I'm willing to bet a case would cause more scuffing and wear than anything else. But that's just IMHO.

iphonefizzle

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My black one is doing well no issues no chipping must have gotten a lucky one still naked got it at launch. 😎

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mohawk apple

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine's been naked for a couple weeks now - holding up rather well. Ever so slight signs of wear or little nicks. Maybe 2 little tiny specks that have popped up.

But to me it's worth it not to hide it under a case. Feels so much better. I always pocket it, and if I lay it on a table I brush it off first with my hand.

I'm willing to bet a case would cause more scuffing and wear than anything else. But that's just IMHO.

i agree with you that the case would do more wear!!

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
i agree with you that the case would do more wear!!

Yeah an iFrogz case scratched mine in 2 spots.....I took someone else's suggestion in another thread and purchased apple care+. The way I look at it, the $99 isn't much more than an otterbox and nice screen protector, so I am breaking even at the beginning. Then if I have to use apple care and pay the $49 fee, I will break even there bc I normally get 2-3 cases a year bc I have an addiction. So, I get to keep my phone naked and not worry about it.

But, I am a little disappointed about how easy it is to scratch, I baby my phone and it has several scuffs and scratches on the metal band.

jcj_ramos

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been using my black iPhone 5 for 3 weeks now and I already have 5 very minor scratches on the side rails. I have been using an Incipio Case and I think it scratched the black paint off my phone. I suggest iPhone 5 users should find cases that are too hard and sharp so it won't scratch of the paint. I plan to just get a rubber case or something. This is disappointing. Apple should do something about this but I doubt it. This is a hardware issue.

I really take care of my iPhones. My 4S does not have a scratch at all but this new black iPhone 5 is not so new at all. I wonder how the white iPhone 5 is holding up.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73