Hi,

it seems the black iPhone 5 will have the metal back and the side rails all painted black. I think this looks good, but I'm concerned that the paint will rub or scratch off eventually. With my previous two iPhones I was impressed how they looked close to new after two years in my pocket, and I hope the 3rd one will, too.

Do you have experience with other Apple painted metal surfaces, for example the iPod shuffle/nanos? How sturdy is the paint?

Thanks,
    Alex
    09-12-2012 06:15 PM
    I'm hopeing the paint doesn't flake off the phone after awhile lol,
    09-12-2012 06:21 PM
    I read about how they color iPods, and the color is fused into the metal somehow. I don't think it'll flake. My shuffle never did.
    09-12-2012 07:14 PM
    It's anodized aluminum - not painted.
    09-12-2012 07:17 PM
    And it's not like they explain that in the video you can find on the Home page of Apple's website since this afternoon...
    09-13-2012 12:44 AM
    That's the word I couldn't remember. Yeah, it's buried in the press release:
    iPhone 5 is the thinnest smartphone in the world, with an all-new 7.6 mm anodized aluminum body that is 18 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than iPhone 4S. Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish. (emphasis added)
    Chamfered!
    09-13-2012 02:26 AM
    hi alex funny u should say that had mine for 4 weeks now and it looks a mess all chipped and rubbed off im reaaly not happy with phone just hope ive got a bad batch lol its booked into apple so i think they wil replace it
    10-21-2012 11:59 AM
    Had mine for 4 weeks also & haven't had any issues!!!!
    10-21-2012 12:22 PM
    It's anodized aluminum - not painted.
    thank you, ugh I couldn't stand people thinking it was paint
    olliegrl likes this.
    10-21-2012 12:42 PM
    The aluminum is chipping on mine, can't go naked anymore.
    10-21-2012 02:35 PM
    Hi, I can answer my own question after having a black phone after 4 weeks. No, the black color is not sturdy at all. Especially around the sharp edges. If it has contact with anything hard, the bare aluminum is showing in an instant. I have other anodized things, like Calphalon pots, and no rough handling ca expose the metal.
    Oddly, the all-black 5 looks less sophisticated than the silver+black 4/4S phones. I hope they will have the silver+black ones back next time around.

Regards,
    Alex
    10-22-2012 05:32 PM
    Mine's been naked for a couple weeks now - holding up rather well. Ever so slight signs of wear or little nicks. Maybe 2 little tiny specks that have popped up.

But to me it's worth it not to hide it under a case. Feels so much better. I always pocket it, and if I lay it on a table I brush it off first with my hand.

I'm willing to bet a case would cause more scuffing and wear than anything else. But that's just IMHO.
    10-22-2012 05:55 PM
    I refuse to risk it. The incipio case I have barely adds any bulk and I know it will be safe.
    10-22-2012 06:14 PM
    My black one is doing well no issues no chipping must have gotten a lucky one still naked got it at launch. 😎

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-22-2012 06:59 PM
    Mine's been naked for a couple weeks now - holding up rather well. Ever so slight signs of wear or little nicks. Maybe 2 little tiny specks that have popped up.

But to me it's worth it not to hide it under a case. Feels so much better. I always pocket it, and if I lay it on a table I brush it off first with my hand.

I'm willing to bet a case would cause more scuffing and wear than anything else. But that's just IMHO.

i agree with you that the case would do more wear!!
    10-22-2012 09:21 PM
    Casing has done no wear on mine
    _heatherly likes this.
    10-22-2012 09:29 PM
    Yeah an iFrogz case scratched mine in 2 spots.....I took someone else's suggestion in another thread and purchased apple care+. The way I look at it, the $99 isn't much more than an otterbox and nice screen protector, so I am breaking even at the beginning. Then if I have to use apple care and pay the $49 fee, I will break even there bc I normally get 2-3 cases a year bc I have an addiction. So, I get to keep my phone naked and not worry about it.

But, I am a little disappointed about how easy it is to scratch, I baby my phone and it has several scuffs and scratches on the metal band.
    10-22-2012 09:59 PM
    Mine is fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is fine.
    10-23-2012 04:33 AM
    I have been using my black iPhone 5 for 3 weeks now and I already have 5 very minor scratches on the side rails. I have been using an Incipio Case and I think it scratched the black paint off my phone. I suggest iPhone 5 users should find cases that are too hard and sharp so it won't scratch of the paint. I plan to just get a rubber case or something. This is disappointing. Apple should do something about this but I doubt it. This is a hardware issue.

I really take care of my iPhones. My 4S does not have a scratch at all but this new black iPhone 5 is not so new at all. I wonder how the white iPhone 5 is holding up.
    10-25-2012 05:20 AM
    Mine was (ab)used for about 3 weeks too. I use a case to wrap it around but so far no scratches...
    10-25-2012 01:12 PM
    I have seen so many black iPhone 5s that look way as if they have been used for two years. Breaks my heart. I've seen few white iPhone 5s but none are noticeably damaged.
    10-30-2012 03:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD